Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2013, 04:00 AM   #1

Need weight distribution hitch?

We are new to trailering. Our TV is a 2010 Ford F150 5.7. Our TT is a 2007 Jay Feather 197 (20 foot, two axle with electric brakes, dry weight 3,200).

Will we need a weight distribution unit?

Recommended units for the TV/TT?

Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2013, 05:07 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy14 View Post
We are new to trailering. Our TV is a 2010 Ford F150 5.7. Our TT is a 2007 Jay Feather 197 (20 foot, two axle with electric brakes, dry weight 3,200).

Will we need a weight distribution unit?

Recommended units for the TV/TT?

Thanks.
With a WDH you'll get sway control, you'll need that. And the 'dry weight' may be what it was when it rolled off the assembly line, but it's been gaining weight ever since.
As with anything, you get what you pay for.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:56 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

About 10% of the loaded trailer weight (not dry weight) will fall on the hitch, so that is probably around 450-500 lbs. You can check your hitch receivers max "weight carrying" capacity, but it's probably right around that same number, so I would recommend a Weight-distributing hitch. I would also recommend a WD hitch with built-in sway control, e.g. a Reese Dual Cam or Equalizer brand hitch. In my opinion those are far superior to hitches that use an add-on friction-type sway control device.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
About 10% of the loaded trailer weight (not dry weight) will fall on the hitch, so that is probably around 450-500 lbs. You can check your hitch receivers max "weight carrying" capacity, but it's probably right around that same number, so I would recommend a Weight-distributing hitch. I would also recommend a WD hitch with built-in sway control, e.g. a Reese Dual Cam or Equalizer brand hitch. In my opinion those are far superior to hitches that use an add-on friction-type sway control device.
The better quality hitches will give you a better quality ride, invest a little more here and you'll enjoy the trip a lot more.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Forget the dry weight and look at the trailer GVWR. And YES, you will need a weight distributing hitch with integral sway control. A really good hitch for the money is the Reese Dual Cam Straightline or HP.

Ken
Old 08-03-2013, 07:45 PM   #6

Your trailer is very close in weight to ours. Max loaded weight of the our 226 is 4950#. We use the Fastway E2 hitch with built-in sway control, and it works great for this light of a trailer (it's less expensive than some of the others which might be needed for heavier trailers). Just be sure to get the bars rated for at least 15% of your max loaded tongue weight. We use the 1000/10,000# bars even though the 800/8000# bars would probably have been adequate. I checked with Fastway before I bought and they said it would be fine to use the heavier bars as long as the adjustments were set up properly (easy to do).
Old 08-11-2013, 01:23 PM   #7

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:11 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I got my WD hitch online delivered for about $200 less than a brick and morter. (Reese-hitches.com) or Reese WD Hitch

I got the 800 lb. square trunnion bars. Shipping was free...

My last 24' tt I just had just a sway control. My newer 25' tt with the WD hitch it has cut out 75% of the sway than with just the plain sway control offered...and I'm now towing level...within a 1/2" front to back.....

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight