Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2016, 11:59 AM   #1

Never ending hitch receiver extension quiry

I'm in the process of converting my Ford V-10 E Super Duty 17" box van(not moving van) to a class C MH and I also have a 1999 26' Fleetwood Prowler. I have towed my RV with the BV with ease the problem I have is when trying to back it up and start to do a tight (not jack knifed) my box will come into contact with my trailer.
Many years ago I mounted an Easy-Lift class V hitch to my truck I had to cut the full width step to be able to use it. It's about 14" from the receiver face to the out board edge of the once full length step.
So I was thinking about putting a 12' extension in place but I keep reading about lower the receivers limits 50%. My trailer is 8400 fully loaded according to factory. Any directions or input. I don't plan on towing the trailer a lot before I go minimal with my Class C and then I'll just be towing my jeep or 12' cargo trailer.
Sorry is there any higher load extensions out there or is that just an white elephant dream?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2016, 12:02 PM   #2

If I were you, I'd buy an extension and be happy.

Old 05-01-2016, 02:15 PM   #3

How long does the extension need to be?
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:17 PM   #4

12 to 14 inches. I see 12 is a pretty standard size
Old 05-01-2016, 08:24 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Extending the hitch will reduce the carrying capacity and add more weight to the rear axle. I get the impression you are aware of this so a simple calculation should get you approximate numbers to determine the practicality.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:33 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by guestPacer View Post
Many years ago I mounted an Easy-Lift class V hitch to my truck ...
Class 5 receiver hitch means max tongue weight is 1,000 pounds WITH A WD HITCH and no extension. Without a WD hitch, the max tongue weight is probably 500 pounds.

You probably have the common 2" receiver. For that receiver I have a 14" extension that says the receiver weight limit must be reduced to 65% of the hitch rating. So assuming your receiver is rated 1,000 pounds tongue weight WD, then your max tongue weight with a WD hitch is 650 pounds.

My extension also says max tongue weight using that extension is 650 pounds with a WD hitch or 400 pounds without a WD hitch. So if the 65% rule doesn't get you because your hitch is rated for more than 1,000 pounds tongue weight WD, the max tongue weight limit for that extension is still 650 pounds.

An 8,400 pound trailer with average 13% tongue weight will have almost 1,100 pounds of tongue weight. Your receiver would have to be rated 1700 pounds tongue weight with a WD hitch in order for you to have enough receiver capacity for a 14" extension to still have 65% of 1700 max tongue weight.

If your 2" receiver is the typical class V receiver with 1,000 pounds max tongue weight, then you're going to have to rip it out and replace it with one that has tongue weight rating of at least 1,700 pounds WD. That probably means a 2.5" or 3" extra-heavy-duty receiver.

Quote:
Any directions or input.
First find a receiver hitch rated for 1,700 pounds tongue weight WD that will fit your Econoline. Then find your extension that will fit that receiver and reduce that 1700 receiver weight capacity down to 1100, and is rated at least 1,100 pounds tongue weight with a WD hitch.

Quote:
Sorry is there any higher load extensions out there or is that just an white elephant dream?
With a quick search, I don't see either the receiver or extension with enough weight capacity to handle your needs. But try searching for a 3" receiver and then a 3" extension and maybe you'll find something.

My local farmer's welding/fabrication (blacksmith) shop can probably start with the Reese Titan 2.5"receiver for an F-450 and modify it to bolt onto the frame of your Econoline. Then if you cannot find a 10" or 12" long receiver extension with a 2.5" shank that can handle 1,100 pounds tongue weight, he can build that too. I'll bet many of the farmer's blacksmith shops in your area can do it too.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:33 AM   #7

Thanks everyone for your input. I may have to rethink where I haul to with the Ford to minimize jack knifing to get into tight spaces. For the jeep and cargo trailer it'll be fine with an extension. All the time I've hauled with my box van/conversion it's been to private sites due to my overall length.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:23 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Would it be a lot more effort to have the hitch on the trailer extended? A competent welder should be able to extend the hitch a couple feet fairly economically. Advantage could be a more stable trailer and easier backing up as well.