Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2015, 09:54 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinc2011 View Post
Not to mention that the front axle weight does not have much room for weight to be transfered to it. I have the new 6000 lb front axle, and it scaled 5520 with 3/4 tank of fuel and me in the seat!
Interesting front axle weight! My Dually front axle weighs 5,460# hitched and 5,380# solo with front seats filled.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2015, 07:54 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinc2011 View Post
Not to mention that the front axle weight does not have much room for weight to be transfered to it. I have the new 6000 lb front axle, and it scaled 5520 with 3/4 tank of fuel and me in the seat!
The object behind wd is this

as you load the hitch with tounge weight you lighten the front axel weight.

ie. you scaled at 5220, put a big trailer on the bumper pull and you may weigh 4800 on the front axel. you use wd in this example to get that weight back on the front.

but yes for what I am pulling i am not taking much if any weight off the front axel to utilize weight distribution

now I need a bigger hauler. joke

the wife and I love the hauler we have. I wanted a 5vr but did not want 40ft of trailer. The only 5vr's I could find that fit our needs were 40ft...from a reputable company If someone made a 30ish ft 5vr hauler with open garage floorplan they would sell. My only other option was a custom cargo trailer conversion, they are spendy,heavy and offer no plush nor storage. My buddy has a 32ft mirage by balboa. Nice hauler, but all his grills, chairs and other accesories are on the floor of the hauler...not my style

Old 09-22-2015, 05:11 PM   #31

Towed with no wd and no sway control. What a freaking nightmare...swayed,bounced and was plain not fun

Came home found a drop shank and hooked up my e2 hitch. Set up as should and loaded ready to roll.
Just got back from test run, 70mph in 35mph crosswinds...bout got blower off road but no sway...she's tight now.

Curiosity got me and I learned a valuable lesson.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:04 PM   #32

So, what you are saying is that you have taken it out before without a WDH and sway control and no problem, but when conditions changed, you found out that sway and WDH are necessary.

People do not understand that the WDH does so much more than distribute weight back to the front axle. By the way it is loaded (spring tension) , it brings the tow vehicles front shocks into play during towing. Actually, both axles shocks, since without tension, the trailer is free to pivot on the hitch ball and bounce, since trailers rarely have shocks. The tension allows the shocks on the tow vehicle to work on the bounce on the trailer. If not stopped, the bounce transfers back to the tow vehicle and makes for a crappy ride.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 06:26 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFlcamper View Post
So, what you are saying is that you have taken it out before without a WDH and sway control and no problem, but when conditions changed, you found out that sway and WDH are necessary.

People do not understand that the WDH does so much more than distribute weight back to the front axle. By the way it is loaded (spring tension) , it brings the tow vehicles front shocks into play during towing. Actually, both axles shocks, since without tension, the trailer is free to pivot on the hitch ball and bounce, since trailers rarely have shocks. The tension allows the shocks on the tow vehicle to work on the bounce on the trailer. If not stopped, the bounce transfers back to the tow vehicle and makes for a crappy ride.
Towed empty for just camping she seemed fine. I was loaded up with my atvs, full water, and full of gas...that when things got hairy.

Yes I am a firm believer now about wd hitches. My original thoughts were I got a 1 ton dually she will handle the world. Well it handled it but bounce and sway all the way. No bounce, no sway now...same load but add 35mph crosswinds. Seems we are having a nor easter here on the nc coast, wind is humping. Wife even asked are you sure you want to test in these comditions...I said yup, worst case scenario.

Tags
weight