Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2015, 08:12 AM   #1

New 1 ton dually. Weight and sway hitch question

Alright serious descussion here

My 7.3 short bed was tired, needed lots of front end work and a tranny in the future.

Went and got a 1ton ram dually 6.7l. Not that I was under trucked before but I am definitely not now.

Stryker 2812 toy hauler. 33' length and 12'7" height 7k# unloaded, 10k# gvwr loaded, with 885# rated tounge weight.

When I load to capacity, my 100 gal of water is over the hauler axel, 2 -500# atvs, 1 just ahead of axel and 1 behind, with my son's 80cc atv beside the one behind. Misc stuff throughout I am close to 9k and I balance it the best I can

I set my hitch height up last night and took for a tow with out my bars latched. It only squatted the rear about an 1 to 2 inches. And my trailer is down 1 inch in the front. So my thoughts are the weight bars should bring trailer level.

My concern is does one even need weight distribution with my new combination? I would like to utilize sway control but the e2 hitch utilizes tounge weight for sway control...much the same as equalizer

I towed it a few miles last night just on the ball. I went to 70mph, made a panic swerve at 60 trailer wagged but was right back in line. Made panic stop safety with all it had and all was fine.

I want to be a safe,stable and stress free as I can
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2015, 08:26 AM   #2

1 inch (plus) down on the front of the trailer is what you want for stability.
With the ATVs in the back, you are probably lighter on the hitch then when empty.

I don't see any reason for a dually to have WDH in this instance. In fact, it will probably ride better as is.
I have towed 15k+ miles on just the ball and have not had any issues.
The electronic sway control on newer trucks is quite remarkable.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:29 AM   #3

I'm interested in this, as well. I also just bought a Ram 3500 DRW and I can't seem to find any information about the weight carrying capacity of the class V hitch on it. I looked on the hitch itself and there's nothing there that I can find.

I tow my <8k TT just on the ball short distances but I do put on my bars for longer trips. I'm curious if it's even doing anything. I tried to set up my weight distribution properly to make use of the sway control, but with my trailer on the ball the front of the truck doesn't even move. Hard to make adjustments to the hitch at that point.
04266832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:35 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy.lawless View Post
I'm interested in this, as well. I also just bought a Ram 3500 DRW and I can't seem to find any information about the weight carrying capacity of the class V hitch on it. I looked on the hitch itself and there's nothing there that I can find.

You might be able to find the information you're looking for here.
Ram Trucks - Towing Capacity Chart

I have a 2015 RAM 1 ton dually w/ 6.7. and the air bag suspension.

I like to tow with the WD hitch and bars because it seems to reduce the bobble.

However I regularly tow around town without the bars installed and it seems to tow just fine then too.

My trailer is about 10k GVWR and has ~ 1100lbs of tongue weight.
I have a shell on my long bed and do haul a lot of gear in the back. (~ 1000lbs)
Old 09-09-2015, 10:12 AM   #5

I tow a 7,500 lb. camping trailer with my dually as well as a 5th wheel. The trailer is built similar to an Airstream meaning it is low. I just hook and go. No WDH. Just lower onto the ball hook up chains and lights.

No sway at 65 or 70 mph.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:50 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I also just bought a Ram 3500 DRW and I can't seem to find any information about the weight carrying capacity of the class V hitch on it. I looked on the hitch itself and there's nothing there that I can find.
Did you crawl under the rear end of the truck and look up to the frame of the receiver? There should be a sticker there with WC and WD weight limits. (WC = weight carrying with nothing but a shank and ball mount stuck into the receivrer, WD = with a weight-distributing hitch)

I don't see the WC limits for a 2015 Ram dually. The WD limit is 1,800 pounds tongue weight, so that's what the sticker on the frame of your receiver should state.

I don't keep up with Ram specs, but Ford specs say that any trailer with hitch weight more than 500 pounds requires a WD or fifth-wheel hitch. I suspect if you dig deep enough into Ram towing specs, you'll find the same requirement.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:24 AM   #7

There is no sticker with weight ratings on the hitch. I've been under the truck several times looking for it since that's where it was on my F-350.

The only sticker is for a replacement part number which links to: TRAILER HITCH | Genuine Mopar | 68140775AE
04266832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:06 PM   #8

I have found no rating on mine. Let's not forget it's a class v hitch not a iv.

Most ratings on class v are 2400# tounge and 17000. Wd or not
Old 09-09-2015, 12:08 PM   #9

Ford f350 come with class iv hitch...2".

Dodge has class v 2.5 inch.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:27 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
There is no sticker with weight ratings on the hitch.
I've never seen a receiver without a weight rating somewhere on the frame of the receiver. Some have embossed info, and some have scratched-in or stamped-in info and most nowadays have a sticker. Use a flashlight looking for painted-over embossed or scratched info that includes WC and WD weight limits.

Research on "specs - MOPAR 68140775AE" did not result in any specs, just sales pitches. I don't know why MOPAR hides the specs.

But you can bet that the WC weight limit is at least 500 pounds. I wouldn't tow a trailer with more than 500 pounds tongue weight without a WD hitch anyway, so WC limit more than 500 pounds wouldn't be useful info for me.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natebert View Post

I like to tow with the WD hitch and bars because it seems to reduce the bobble.
I had a little bit of an issue with the bouncing/pogo effect over big humps in the road until I got a set of Bilstein shocks and threw the OEM units in the trash. What a difference.
Highly recommend the Bilsteins.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
I've never seen a receiver without a weight rating somewhere on the frame of the receiver. Some have embossed info, and some have scratched-in or stamped-in info and most nowadays have a sticker. Use a flashlight looking for painted-over embossed or scratched info that includes WC and WD weight limits.

Research on "specs - MOPAR 68140775AE" did not result in any specs, just sales pitches. I don't know why MOPAR hides the specs.

But you can bet that the WC weight limit is at least 500 pounds. I wouldn't tow a trailer with more than 500 pounds tongue weight without a WD hitch anyway, so WC limit more than 500 pounds wouldn't be useful info for me.
Again it's a class v hitch. Most are rated to 2500# tw

I was just under mine and found no info. I will look again for something stamped

In the link posted above in the print it specifies the the tounge weight is not to exceed 1800#s. No mention of needing weight distribution.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
I had a little bit of an issue with the bouncing/pogo effect over big humps in the road until I got a set of Bilstein shocks and threw the OEM units in the trash. What a difference.
Highly recommend the Bilsteins.
Bilstein does NOT make an application for the rear air ride system on the RAM trucks. The factory shocks on the 3500 trucks are good quality US Made Nitrogen shocks.

I did replace the front on my 15 RAM Dually. They did improve the "REVERB" I would get with a harsh bump. But I have ZERO issues with the factory shocks on my rear air suspension solo or with over 5K pin weight.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:35 AM   #14

Ironically, and to your point, I think the front shocks do more to control the bounce caused by a TT. The whole truck pivots over the rear axel like a see-saw and the front goes up and down.

Tags
weight