Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2013, 08:54 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
A SRW truck is limited by the rear axle rating and the tire rating. To go higher, you need the two additional tires in the back. The axle will have a higher weight rating as well as the 4 tires being able to carry more weight. DRW trucks are built for a reason.

Ken
I agree with you but the newer model truck are now being rated at higher limits than the previous MY trucks.

For 2013 Ram 3500HD 6.7L Cummins SRW truck; the rear axle GAWR is 7,000 LBS, the tires which are LT275/70R18E these are rated for 3,640 LBS at 80 PSI air pressure. As you can see the new MY 2013 trucks are rated all most as high as the older 04 and 05 DRW trucks as far as GAWR and can tow a heavier trailer then they can. New technology allows for this with improved frame and suspension components.

Jim W.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2013, 08:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
I see no advantage using a DWR over SRW for this model truck.

But the height of the SRW compared to DRW might have to be considered.

My son's Ram 4 x 4 SRW 3500 is 6 inches higher at the tailgate then my 4 x 4 F250 that I use to tow our 39ft 5th wheel. Lower truck would possibly feel more stable.

I have been told to get a dually for 17 years.

Never needed it and can prove it in many ways.

I am done explaining it.
I looked at a dually Ram Longhorn and the height at the back was much higher than my 2500 my wife had a hard time looking over the tailgate.

Ah the fun in looking at buying a new truck.
Click image for larger version

Name:	laramier sh bx specs.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	49034
Old 11-03-2013, 06:30 PM   #17

This fifth wheel weight calculator will remove all doubt from what truck is needed. Please note it requires actual weights not estimates or advertising literature figures.
To calculate the pin weight at GVW limit, use the percentage obtained from the dry weight figures from the mfgr. That, I suspect will be a surprise.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
One place we stayed a new Rver and full timer with a new 3 slide Redwood and a 3500 SRW truck was readying to leave. He got hooked up and dropped the weight of the pin on the truck and down- down - down went the back. Suddenly he says...Oh I forgot yo air up the bags in the back and unhooks from the trailer, pulls across the aisle to the free air station in the campground and pumps up the back of the truck about 6". He then proceeded to rehitch the trailer and pull out.

He did say that both the Redwood dealer and the truck salesman had said the SRW would do fine, he did not need a DRW....

I said nothing more than good luck and walked away.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:01 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
One place we stayed a new Rver and full timer with a new 3 slide Redwood and a 3500 SRW truck was readying to leave. He got hooked up and dropped the weight of the pin on the truck and down- down - down went the back. Suddenly he says...Oh I forgot yo air up the bags in the back and unhooks from the trailer, pulls across the aisle to the free air station in the campground and pumps up the back of the truck about 6". He then proceeded to rehitch the trailer and pull out.

He did say that both the Redwood dealer and the truck salesman had said the SRW would do fine, he did not need a DRW....

I said nothing more than good luck and walked away.

ken
Thanks Ken. What year of truck?, what make?

The 2011 dodge ram one ton dually barley met the specs for my trailer. Dodge products of several years ago were not in the heavy hauler class. I found dodges of 2011/ 2012 very disappointing, happily they realized there mistake and made changes to their HD line up in 2013. At the RV show were I purchased my trailer I was told that a new 2500 Chevy HD would haul the trailer without any modes and when inspecting the numbers it almost could, lol. I don't take a dealership's salesman's word on what the truck will do as few know the difference between a fifth wheel and a tt. Due diligence is always with the driver.
Definition of DUE DILIGENCE

: the care that a reasonable person exercises to avoid harm to other persons or their property

My personal challenge here is that without the abillity to hook my trailer to an actual 2013/14 srw vehicle until purchased I am stuck with the manufacturers numbers and the actual experiences for the describe vehicle of others. I intend to take my trailer and pay to have a print out of actual weights for the trailer as to work out the true pin weight before purchasing a tow vehicle. Again I am asking for people's experience using late model one tons with SRW hauling heavier fivers not the opinion real or fancied of others.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:13 AM   #20

It appears that you've already made up your mind what you're going to do.
Been there - Done that's aren't going to change your mind. You'll learn the hard way through experience like many of us have/did.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by HicksRA View Post
It appears that you've already made up your mind what you're going to do.
Been there - Done that's aren't going to change your mind. You'll learn the hard way through experience like many of us have/did.
Just test drove a SRW F350 that road like a car. It definitely would go down to rubber stops on the frame if loaded. Did not give me any confidence that it would do the job. So no my mind is not made up, thanks again for your shared experience. I would not be on this site if my mind was made up.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:10 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by biron View Post

Just test drove a SRW F350 that road like a car. It definitely would go down to rubber stops on the frame if loaded. Did not give me any confidence that it would do the job. So no my mind is not made up, thanks again for your shared experience. I would not be on this site if my mind was made up.
Mine drives like a car loaded or unloaded and I have 6 plis of springs on each side. It's the arrangements of the plies that makes it right.

Any good spring shops knows it.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:01 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Biron, it was a fairly new one...2012, maybe a 2013

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #24

2014 crew cab short box for F3 50
Old 11-05-2013, 02:09 PM   #25

Prior to acquiring my motorhome, I had a Jayco Designer 35RLTS which was 39 1/2' long.
I originally had a Chevy 2500 Duramax Crew Cab short bed which towed it OK, but the fiver pushed and jerked it around to the point of being uncomfortable to drive and even scary at times.
It handled the load OK, but the trailer was just too much for a short bed SRW truck.
After a year or so of white knuckle driving, I traded up for a 3500 Crew Cab Daully. The difference was night and day. The truck was rock solid and was the boss of the fiver - not the other way around.
Those that profess that a dually is totally unnecessary have obviously never towed their rig with a dually.
I'll shut up now....
Old 11-06-2013, 06:03 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by HicksRA View Post
Prior to acquiring my motorhome, I had a Jayco Designer 35RLTS which was 39 1/2' long. I originally had a Chevy 2500 Duramax Crew Cab short bed which towed it OK, but the fiver pushed and jerked it around to the point of being uncomfortable to drive and even scary at times. It handled the load OK, but the trailer was just too much for a short bed SRW truck. After a year or so of white knuckle driving, I traded up for a 3500 Crew Cab Daully. The difference was night and day. The truck was rock solid and was the boss of the fiver - not the other way around. Those that profess that a dually is totally unnecessary have obviously never towed their rig with a dually. I'll shut up now....
I am now looking to a dual wheeled rig. Thanks all for your shared experiences. I will order in Feb so now will be asking in a new thread about what people think is a must have on a trk thanks.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:04 AM   #27

Bluetooth and a backup camera. Other than that, cloth, power windows and door locks are all i care about.

I heard dodge is putting air suspension on their new HD trucks. If so that may be nice for better ride comfort with and without towing.
gggplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:36 AM   #28

Just got the 2014 Super Duty Brochure

2014 Ford Super duty 350 SRW SuperCab long box
Max GVWR 11500 LBS (This is a package order for the Max GVWR 18" wheels)
MAX PAYLOAD 4000 LBS (158" WB) Higher by 180 lbs with short box
GCWR SRW 23500 LBS (22,200 LBS DRW note lower GCWR for dually)

The only significant advantage for the dually is the payload and by the numbers it is actually worst for GCWR unless using a 4.30 rear end.

I don't want the short box only because it drops the fuel tank size from 142 litres to 98 litres and that means nore stops.