Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-31-2013, 10:01 AM   #1
Member
 
biron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Cobourg, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 68
New 3500 srw tow vehicle?


I will be buying a new diesel tow vehicle in Jan\Feb 2014 My trailer is a redwood triple slide with a scale weight of 14000 lbs brochure said 13,800 lbs with a brochure pin weight of 2700lbs. I have pulled it with my 03, 2500 Ram, Smarty JR chipped for towing. I would like to stay with a srw truck. The new ram 3500 says it has an 11,800 lb gvwr with a 4000 lb payload. The rear GAWR is 7000lbs so says the dealer. I would like to think I will be all right with the quad cad, 4x4, short box with the fifth wheel prep. Anyone driving a similar 2013. The new vehicles come with exhaust break, traction sway control and the like and I want to feel good about the purchase. Thanks
__________________

__________________
Redwood 2011 36RL (40.5'), 2014 3500 Ford SuperCab dually, 4x4, long box.
biron is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2013, 10:10 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
wingnut60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wherever the Suites is
Posts: 2,982
Not a Dodge guy, but if you have already towed it with your '03, why wouldn't the '13 do at least as good?
The only thing I would seriously be concerned about is the weight on the 2 rear tires--that is where I would not venture to overload.
Joe
__________________

__________________
'15 38RSSA Mobile Suites
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
'17 F450--trying one more Ford
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
Member
 
biron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Cobourg, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Not a Dodge guy, but if you have already towed it with your '03, why wouldn't the '13 do at least as good?
The only thing I would seriously be concerned about is the weight on the 2 rear tires--that is where I would not venture to overload.
Joe
Yes I have wondered about the actual weight on the rear tires as well.
__________________
Redwood 2011 36RL (40.5'), 2014 3500 Ford SuperCab dually, 4x4, long box.
biron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 338
Personally, i would never tow an RV that big with SRW. That's just me though, there's a difference between "getting away with" and "handling it beautifully".

I think your biggest limiting factor is going to be the tires on your truck. Make sure you always buy the highest load rating tires and they're always properly inflated. Depending on how many passengers, fuel, and cargo load of the trailer, you could be pushing dangerously close to your payload rating. One tire blowout on the highway could be fatal.
__________________
gggplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:22 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
 
RustyJC's Avatar


 
Texas Boomers Club
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Cypress, Texas USA
Posts: 8,854
What's the GVWR of the new trailer? The weights you're giving sound like dry weights. Was the scale weight taken when it left the factory?

Rusty
__________________
2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:31 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
 
TXiceman's Avatar


 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Full Time, TX Home Base
Posts: 17,150
Blog Entries: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by biron View Post

The new ram 3500 says it has an 11,800 lb gvwr with a 4000 lb payload.
The 4000# payload is based on a base model truck weighing no more that 7800# (11800# - 4000#). I imagine that the truck will be over that weight when loaded for travel and ready to hook up to the trailer.

For a trailer of that size, I would go with a DRW. I know there are droves of people towing that size and larger with SRW trucks (some 3/4 ton), but that does not make it the right thing to do.

Your weights as listed are dry. You need to consider the trailer GVWR and use 20% of that number for the estimated pin weight.

You need to educate yourself on all of the towing terms, weights, etc. and then make the proper calculations to see if you feel comfortable with a possible truck overload condition.

And last, check your drivers license in Ontario to see if your current drivers license will cover the weights for the truck and trailer. In Texas (and some other states) if your GCWR is over a specified weight, you have to have an upgraded drivers license.

Ken
__________________
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:41 PM   #7
Member
 
biron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Cobourg, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
The 4000# payload is based on a base model truck weighing no more that 7800# (11800# - 4000#). I imagine that the truck will be over that weight when loaded for travel and ready to hook up to the trailer.

For a trailer of that size, I would go with a DRW. I know there are droves of people towing that size and larger with SRW trucks (some 3/4 ton), but that does not make it the right thing to do.

Your weights as listed are dry. You need to consider the trailer GVWR and use 20% of that number for the estimated pin weight.

You need to educate yourself on all of the towing terms, weights, etc. and then make the proper calculations to see if you feel comfortable with a possible truck overload condition.

And last, check your drivers license in Ontario to see if your current drivers license will cover the weights for the truck and trailer. In Texas (and some other states) if your GCWR is over a specified weight, you have to have an upgraded drivers license.

Ken
Thanks have spoken with MTO about licenses and total weight restrictions related to licensing and there is an allowance for rec vehicles that is over my combined weight. I let my A classification go when they started charging $100 for the medical and currently have a D license. I have factored in weights for hitch and additional load and have never travelled with even partially loaded tanks the truck specs say it will do it I would like to here from those who are doing it, thanks.
__________________
Redwood 2011 36RL (40.5'), 2014 3500 Ford SuperCab dually, 4x4, long box.
biron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:45 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
 
RustyJC's Avatar


 
Texas Boomers Club
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Cypress, Texas USA
Posts: 8,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by biron View Post
I would like to here from those who are doing it, thanks.
Those who AREN'T doing it may have very good reasons for doing so, such as knowing that one must use the manufacturer's ratings with a hefty grain of salt due to an unrealistic curb weight used by the manufacturer to calculate payload and trailer tow ratings. By not wanting to hear from them, you're choosing to ignore some valuable information.

Rusty
__________________
2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:04 PM   #9
Member
 
biron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Cobourg, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Those who AREN'T doing it may have very good reasons for doing so, such as knowing that one must use the manufacturer's ratings with a hefty grain of salt due to an unrealistic curb weight used by the manufacturer to calculate payload and trailer tow ratings. By not wanting to hear from them, you're choosing to ignore some valuable information.

Rusty
Thanks rusty
Yes I am looking for peoples experience with the new higher payload single wheel vehicles working at the upper limits of the vehicle, are you one? I get the dually is the traditional answer to the weights given.
__________________
Redwood 2011 36RL (40.5'), 2014 3500 Ford SuperCab dually, 4x4, long box.
biron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:09 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
jimcumminsw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Oswego IL
Posts: 1,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by biron View Post

I will be buying a new diesel tow vehicle in Jan\Feb 2014 My trailer is a redwood triple slide with a scale weight of 14000 lbs brochure said 13,800 lbs with a brochure pin weight of 2700lbs. I have pulled it with my 03, 2500 Ram, Smarty JR chipped for towing. I would like to stay with a srw truck. The new ram 3500 says it has an 11,800 lb gvwr with a 4000 lb payload. The rear GAWR is 7000lbs so says the dealer. I would like to think I will be all right with the quad cad, 4x4, short box with the fifth wheel prep. Anyone driving a similar 2013. The new vehicles come with exhaust break, traction sway control and the like and I want to feel good about the purchase. Thanks
Hi Bill,

Some items that you need to know about the 2013/2014 Ram trucks. One; the Ram truck now comes only in the Regular cab, Crew cab or Mega cab models they do not offer a quad cab any more. The crew cab is a true full size cab. Two; for the new models the SRW trucks are only offered with the 3:42 differential axle ratio regardless of transmission. Three; there are three transmissions available the G56 manual, 68RFE 6 sped auto and the new for MY 2013 6ped Aisin heavy duty. Four; the short bed model fuel tank is now only 31 gallon capacity while the 8 box is 32 gallons. The DEF (Urea) tank takes up the space that was required for the larger fuel tanks on the older trucks.


Now the 3500 HD SRW, 6.7L Cummins, 4X4, Crew Cab Big Horn truck with the Aisin transmission is rated to tow a 17,500 LBS trailer max weight. The other factors for the Ram 3500HD SRW truck are: Base Weight of 7,685 LBS (this includes a 150 LB driver and 20 LBS of misc gear) 6,000 LBS GAWR front, 7,000 LBS GAWR rear, GVWR is 11,700 LBS, payload is 4,020 LBS and the GCWR is 25,000 LBS.

The base weight should be changed to include the actual weight of all passengers including the driver this should also include the hitch weight and any item that will be in the bed while towing. The Max trailer weight then can be the 25,000 GVWR- new base weights = new trailer weight.

I have attached the link to this site for you at the bottom of this post.

All of my information is being provided by the Ram Body Builder Guide . Com .

Hope this helps you?

http://www.rambodybuilder.com/2013/ram/2535mo.pdf

Jim W.




__________________
Jim & Jill
Sold: 2010 318SAB Cougar:New: 2016 Cedar Creek 34RL. 2008 Dodge 6.7LCummins the original 6.7L engine, w/68RFE Auto
jimcumminsw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:18 PM   #11
Member
 
biron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Cobourg, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 68
Check this out (trucks below are all 3500 Laramie, 4x4, CC, LB, 3.42 gears, G56):
2012 SRW - payload = 2,074 lbs, towing = 11,300 lbs
2013 SRW - payload = 4,480 lbs, towing = 16,010 lbs (huge jump in payload!)

2012 DRW - payload = 4,439 lbs, towing = 11,000 lbs
2013 DRW - payload = 5,790 lbs, towing = 15,620 lbs

So, although it may not be as stable in winds, the 2013 SRW can technically do the job that the 2012 DRW could do.

Assume: we're towing/hauling within the legal limits of the truck's factory specification.

For the SRW, if you maxed out your trailer to 16,010 lbs and had it loaded properly, your pin weight should be 2,400 - 3,200 lbs (15 - 20%). This leaves 1,280 lbs left over for additional payload which to me seems like a comfortable margin.
__________________
Redwood 2011 36RL (40.5'), 2014 3500 Ford SuperCab dually, 4x4, long box.
biron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:21 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
 
TXiceman's Avatar


 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Full Time, TX Home Base
Posts: 17,150
Blog Entries: 21
A SRW truck is limited by the rear axle rating and the tire rating. To go higher, you need the two additional tires in the back. The axle will have a higher weight rating as well as the 4 tires being able to carry more weight. DRW trucks are built for a reason.

The truck in my signature has a GVWR or 13,300# and the truck weighs right at 9000# wet and loaded which leaves me 4300# for pin weight or payload.

Not knowing the exact model of your Redwood, I would suspect your GVWR is something like 16,000# to 16,500# The actual loaded pinweight will probably be something like 3200# or possibly more.

I would not try to pull the Redwood with a SRW.

At least get the real weights of the truck loaded with a hitch and passengers and see how much cushion you have on the ratings. Then make a decision based on data and not supposition.

Ken
__________________
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:17 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
HicksRA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Worth TX
Posts: 845
If you're going to get a new truck, do it right or not at all (IMO).
Get a 3500 long bed DRW. I'm a GM man, but any 3500 dually will do you.
A SRW short bed is a bad idea.
__________________
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 4024
Pulling my 2012 Malibu w/Blue OX & Patriot brake unit
HicksRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:20 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
caissiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,312
I see no advantage using a DWR over SRW for this model truck.

But the height of the SRW compared to DRW might have to be considered.

My son's Ram 4 x 4 SRW 3500 is 6 inches higher at the tailgate then my 4 x 4 F250 that I use to tow our 39ft 5th wheel. Lower truck would possibly feel more stable.

I have been told to get a dually for 17 years.

Never needed it and can prove it in many ways.

I am done explaining it.
__________________

__________________
Barbara and Laurent, Hartland Big Country 3500RL. 39 ft long and 15500 GVW.
2005 Ford F250 SD, XL F250 4x4, Long Box, 6.0L Diesel, 6 Speed Stick, Hypertech Max Energy for Fuel mileage of 21 MPusG empty, 12.6 MPusG pulling the BC. ScangaugeII for display..
caissiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.