Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-13-2015, 01:27 PM   #1
New 5th wheel tow truck

I’m thinking about buying a new 2015 Dodge Ram 3500, currently have a 2003 Dodge 3500 Diesel crew cab long bed and tow a 2011 Open Range 345 5th wheel. My big concern about the new trucks it seems that they are all about 4-6 inches taller and 10 to 15 inches longer than my 2003. The top of my tailgate is 54 inches above the ground before I hitch the 5th wheel. Does anyone have a newer Dodge Ram 3500 2 wheel drive with single rear wheels and do you have any problem with the nose of the 5th wheel being to high and do you have enough clearance between the truck box and the 5th wheel?
The extra length of the new Dodges will mean that it will not fit in my garage or in the driveway. I am also concerned about maneuvering in tight camping sites.
I am considering the crew cab short bed (6’ 6). From my research I think I would need an Auto Sliding Hitch but I have read about a lot of “problems” with them such as needing constant lubrication, sliding around when the fifth wheel is not hooked up, something about a “set screw” constantly needing adjustment. I also need to do a 180 degree U-turn when going into my RV storage area, this is not a problem with my long bed but don’t know about the short bed
I would like to hear from anyone about their experiences with short bed tow trucks. Do you like the auto sliding hitches? What brands have you tried?

Thanks for your input. Bill

StarTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2015, 01:48 PM   #2
You're asking more questions than I can answer. But, my tailgate is 57" off the ground. Truck is a '14 RAM 3500 dually. I have a Moryde pin box and have raised it to the max to drop the 5ver nose. I'm now level with 7" clearance from bed rails to overhang. Can't answer any questions regarding the short bed. The major variables will be your particular 5th wheel and the pin box. Good Luck.

'14 RAM Longhorn,DRW,4x4,CC, LB, 4.10, Aisin, 70gal underbed fuel tank.
Lifestyle 36FW, 8000lb axles, disk brakes, 19,100lbs
Andersen AL Ultimate hitch
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 03:13 PM   #3
I would go to Turbo Diesel Register . com which is a dedicated Ram/Cummins forum. Some of the members on that site have pulled with the new Ram 2015 trucks and they could answer your questions for you.

I am a member of that forum also. The membership fee is $35 a year but you do not need to be a member to post a question. The membership fee provide a quarterly publication and other features that I use all of the time. I have been a member since Nov 2007.

Now I have an 2008 Mega Cab which is the same length as a 2008 long bed crew cab truck. I also need to use a slider hitch the Mega cab has a short box and I use a manual Resse 16K slider hitch. This does required for the rails to be lubricated but this is not a big deal. I just spray them with WD40 when needed.
Jim & Jill
Sold: 2010 318SAB Cougar:New: 2016 Cedar Creek 34RL. 2008 Dodge 6.7LCummins the original 6.7L engine, w/68RFE Auto
jimcumminsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:39 PM   #4
I have a 14 3500 my friend has an open range . The cap on the OR should not be a problem . Just get a hitch and try it before getting slider. His is a 12. Long bed 2whl dr and it sits level.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 12:04 AM   #5
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've got a 3500 megacab. Have a buddy with the 2500 megacab. The 3500 (DRW) sits higher in back. Both have clearance issues with 32-36' toy haulers when making tight turns and need sliders.

IF your 5th is shorter up front or if your bed is longer, then it *may* not be an issue, but it's worth checking before you've got to make that turn.

If you need a slider, you can get an auto-slider and forget it.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote

5th wheel, tow