Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2013, 04:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
whoopie, now we will have people with 1/2 ton trucks putting on air bags and hooking up to their new 40' toy hauler 5er.

Ken
You forgot the additional leaf.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2013, 10:10 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
whoopie, now we will have people with 1/2 ton trucks putting on air bags and hooking up to their new 40' toy hauler 5er.

Ken
that is what I was hinting at Ken!

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:29 PM   #17

Hopefully, just like the VW TDI, this combination will get great fuel mileage and seemingly run forever.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:19 PM   #18

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Not many details in that article about the "new" diesel headed for Chevy trucks. Wonder if this might be the stillborn 4.5 Duramax that was supposedly headed for production 5 or 6 years ago? Inquiring minds want to know! Was told by a GMC engineer in 2007 that the new, smaller Duramax was ready for the market. LOL

Newbies/Wannabees here. Newly retired with plans to acquire a new 1/2 ton and a small TT by next spring. Reasonable mpg and comfortable when NOT towing, but safe for towing a light weight trailer.

Interesting reading on this forum, especially the threads about proper set up with actual weights/sizes rather than "published" info from TV/TT manufacturers.

Cheers! Bill J
Old 09-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #19

Diesel engines have been used for decades in Europe where fuel is much more expensive than in the USA but here their value is in heavy towing applications. The gain in fuel economy does not offset the higher purchase price, higher maintenance costs, and higher per gallon cost of diesel which is often selling at a higher price than premium gas.
With my diesel truck my breakeven point in terms of better mileage and ignoring the higher maintenance costs of the diesel engine and its transmission is at 250,000 miles at current fuel prices.

Diesel engines are a great way for US automakers to improve their fleet MPG to meet tougher federal standards for CAFE. They get their customers to buy diesel powered vehicles and foot the bill for the maintenance and fuel and the manufacturers get a nice bump in their fleet average MPG which is based on all the vehicles they sell during the year. A win win for the manufacturers in every sense as they continue to take advantage of very gullible Americans.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhornsun View Post
Diesel engines have been used for decades in Europe where fuel is much more expensive than in the USA but here their value is in heavy towing applications. The gain in fuel economy does not offset the higher purchase price, higher maintenance costs, and higher per gallon cost of diesel which is often selling at a higher price than premium gas.
With my diesel truck my breakeven point in terms of better mileage and ignoring the higher maintenance costs of the diesel engine and its transmission is at 250,000 miles at current fuel prices.

Diesel engines are a great way for US automakers to improve their fleet MPG to meet tougher federal standards for CAFE. They get their customers to buy diesel powered vehicles and foot the bill for the maintenance and fuel and the manufacturers get a nice bump in their fleet average MPG which is based on all the vehicles they sell during the year. A win win for the manufacturers in every sense as they continue to take advantage of very gullible Americans.

I respectably disagree with you that a diesel equipped vehicle is more cost prohibitive than a gas model of the same make.

I do agree that the vehicle has a higher selling price but that is recovered when the vehicle is sold; since diesel vehicles command a higher resale value than a gas model does. See Kelly Blue Book or the NADA book to compare resale.

As far as MPG a diesel equipped model will achieve from 20 to 25% better in the city and 35% on the highway using the EPA estimates as a guide line. I do know that I was never able to achieve the EPA gas estimate on fuel mileage, was always lower than listed on the EPA estimate when we drove a gas vehicle. We have achieved over the EPA estimate on my wife’s diesel car as far as fuel economy both in town and on the highway from 10 to 20% more.

As far as oil changes the diesel equipped car is done every 10K with filter and the fuel filter is every 20K. Whereas the gas model is every 5K with oil and filter and no fuel filter change. So the cost increase would be the gas model since the oil and filter is being changed every 5K.

These are facts and not opinions that can be backed up by research.

This is why the Europeans drive diesel cars since they are more efficient and less costly to operate per mile.

Jim W.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:00 AM   #21

How does a 3/4-1 ton truck help meet Café standards when they are exempt from EPA mileage estimates?

I really get tired of the same 'diesel is way more expensive than gas' rhetoric. No body complains about a guy buying a Platinum Laramie LTZ gas truck. But spend the same on a diesel and you get slammed. All the naysayers think diesel guys are spending 100's more on maintenance a year than the gas guys. Just for the record the new 5.0 F150 takes 8 qrts of oil. Semi Syn. My CTD takes 12 qrts of plain Jane oil. My cost for a DIY oil change is $52.38 using Wally Rotella and Mopar filter. For the F150 with the 5.0 it's $46.50 at Autozone for oil and filter. Knock $6.00 off for Wally prices and wow it's $12.00 more for a diesel oil change. So $24.00 a year more. So yes I need one fuel filter at $62.00 from the dealer, less if I order online. 1 a year, so now I'm up to $86.00 more for maintenance a year. Almost out of money But the catch is I get 2.5 mpgs better towing and the same empty as most gassers. Better than some too. If I tow 50% of the time, I break even on fuel unless prices are more than .50 apart.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:18 AM   #22

I would expect the diesel 1/2 truck to be rated to tow less than it's gas equivalent simply because the diesel engine is heavier??
Old 09-25-2013, 10:28 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Will they have to use the DEF stuff?
Old 09-25-2013, 10:40 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
I respectably disagree with you that a diesel equipped vehicle is more cost prohibitive than a gas model of the same make.

I do agree that the vehicle has a higher selling price but that is recovered when the vehicle is sold; since diesel vehicles command a higher resale value than a gas model does. See Kelly Blue Book or the NADA book to compare resale.

As far as MPG a diesel equipped model will achieve from 20 to 25% better in the city and 35% on the highway using the EPA estimates as a guide line. I do know that I was never able to achieve the EPA gas estimate on fuel mileage, was always lower than listed on the EPA estimate when we drove a gas vehicle. We have achieved over the EPA estimate on my wife’s diesel car as far as fuel economy both in town and on the highway from 10 to 20% more.

As far as oil changes the diesel equipped car is done every 10K with filter and the fuel filter is every 20K. Whereas the gas model is every 5K with oil and filter and no fuel filter change. So the cost increase would be the gas model since the oil and filter is being changed every 5K.

These are facts and not opinions that can be backed up by research.

This is why the Europeans drive diesel cars since they are more efficient and less costly to operate per mile.

Jim W.

I don't see you mentioning anywhere the cost of DEF and any maintenance that might be required to the DPF/ sludge cleanup of the EGR and its associated issues.

The DPF regeneration "costs" the vehicle a lot in terms of MPG. So much so that the economy improvement alone isnt a reason to switch.

As a guy that owns a 2013 3500 sprinter and a diesel RV I can tell you these costs are not imagined. It does NOT meet the mileage label.

Moderns diesels have a lot more sensors and issues than the units of old, and when netting out the WHOLE cost for a smaller vehicle Diesel is no longer the head and shoulders winner it used to be.

Uncle Dave
Old 09-25-2013, 10:41 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Will they have to use the DEF stuff?
No way around it anymore except very few select engines.

UD
Old 09-25-2013, 11:25 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgholson View Post
I would expect the diesel 1/2 truck to be rated to tow less than it's gas equivalent simply because the diesel engine is heavier??
Since the "manufacturer's trailer tow rating" is calculated as GCWR - manufacturer's curb weight - 150 lb allowance for driver, your statement would only be true if the GCWR were unchanged. This may or may not be the case.

In the real world, however, if the truck were heavier, the allowable pin weight may or may not decrease depending on what the manufacturer does with the truck's GVWR.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:17 PM   #27

These new diesels are being labeled 5/8 tons by some magazines and sites.

Chevy is behind the small truck diesel curve big time betting on the so far unreleased 6.2 gas v8.

Dodge shot the first volley.
Nissan announced the cummins relationship.

Ford hasn't peeped yet nor has Chevy, and Toyota is quiet as well.

Will be interesting

UD
Old 09-25-2013, 03:25 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering1 View Post
So what is the benefit? You still have a 1/2 ton PU.

Well one advantage is you won't have to scream to have the wife hear you asit will be turning 2k rpm instead of 5k or 6.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote