Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2013, 08:05 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjc View Post
You're right. Never driven a newer one. Just an 03 duramax. (Fatherinlaw) It rattles and vibrates at all speeds. But I have seen and heard the new diesels pulling thru the cg. Not newly as loud but still louder than the avg gasser. I just pulled 8000+ lbs with my gasser 4700 miles thru the rockies including the Beartooth scenic hwy into Montana. Yeah, dropped into 4th gear on a few climbs and revved up to 3800 ROMs, but never got loud enough to be a bother. The other 4690 miles were nice and quiet at 1800-2000 rpms.
Speaking from owning and driving a 2002 Duramax dually since new, now with 131,xxx miles, most of that towing 15,500# 5er; something is wrong with your FIL's duramax, most likely a crudded-up fuel system or if an early 03 faulty injectors. My engine runs very smooth, both at idle and towing a mountain grade with said 5er. With any diesel engine, the harder it is worked the better it runs. They are NOT a grocery-getter, they are designed for hard work daily.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2013, 11:02 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post

Speaking from owning and driving a 2002 Duramax dually since new, now with 131,xxx miles, most of that towing 15,500# 5er; something is wrong with your FIL's duramax, most likely a crudded-up fuel system or if an early 03 faulty injectors. My engine runs very smooth, both at idle and towing a mountain grade with said 5er. With any diesel engine, the harder it is worked the better it runs. They are NOT a grocery-getter, they are designed for hard work daily.
Yeah, he's had a lot of trouble with his. On the third set of ujoints. Had steering column replaced. Passenger door caught on fire. And lots of other problems. And he babies it. Been all over the west coast, northwest and across the south with it. Tows a 9000lb fiver. But man does he live his duramax.

davidjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:10 PM   #73

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by F239141 View Post
the trucks in the pics look like they fell off the ugly tree and hit every branch going down

I don't think they are going to be much of a power house like the duramax since they are going to be small diesels, Dodge it doing it to, looks like Ford needs to step up now
Those trucks are the new Colorado, and the styling may not be too everyone's taste, but they do look very aerodynamic. But I could care less about those small trucks, still curious about whether or not GM will build the Silverado/Sierra 1500 with the 4.5 Duramax they designed/tested a few years back.

Not that I'd actually buy one! LOL. Okay, I would actually consider it, but the cost/benefit (purchase price, mpg, fuel cost, maintenance cost...etc,etc) would have to show a clear superiority over the long haul for a diesel....

Cheers!
Old 09-28-2013, 07:41 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Dave View Post
I am (as a titan owner) quite aware of that.

In some cases it actually does warrant a diesel. A diesel can tow 7500 through the mountains and in 110 degree air far more efficiently than a gasser.

I get around 9 MPG towing 7500, and an ecoboost gets about 12-13 a diesel should get 15+.

Actually many option boxes on a 1/2 ton reduce payload - 4x4 being one of them, and 2 more doors is another. The titan is not unique in any way in this regards.

The Titan needs-

A new trans
(the jatco 5 was best in class when introduced and is now bottom of barrell)
A new rear end ( the dana 44 doesn't cut it and really never did)
New Xfer boxes and axles
New rear suspension (rancho was a joke went bilsteins )
New front suspension- see above
New Brakes (had to put new rotors and pads in on day 2)
New Interior hasnt changed in a decade. awesome features- old design

In short if they do it right - the Cummins Titan will be a brand new Titan sharing name only.

Nissan has had a decade- Im hoping they get this one right.

Uncle Dave
Most people are getting about 10mpg towing with an ecoboost. Ecoboost isn't known for it's towing mileage, all that horsepower at low rpm's mean less fuel economy. Chevy is claiming to be beat the ecoboost in towing mpg with their 2014 5.3L V8.

Here's the results 2013 Light-Duty Challenge: Mileage Drive - PickupTrucks.com Special Reports

We already know what towing a roughly 4000-5000lb loaded trailer with a 3.0L diesel will get for mileage. That's about 15-20mpg. We'll assume a curb weight of 5500lbs for a current half ton crew cab pickup. The sprinter van rv's weigh a little over 10,000lbs. They get 19-20mpg but factoring in a trailer where you have 2 drag loads, you'll get a few mpg less. So it's not bad to expect 15-20mpg, i really doubt it would be less than that.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:55 AM   #75

I saw this and wondered why the trucks looked so funny-they're not Silverados! They are Colorados.
"But it seems that the Colorado is a more viable option for the engine, as it can be introduced from the start, and capitalize on a segment that offers no competition: small diesel-powered pickup trucks. The Chevrolet Colorado offers 2.5 and 2.8-liter diesel engines already in other parts of the world." (bold added)
No effort needed on Chevy's part. They already make this truck elsewhere.
I wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole, though. The cab is too small.
My 2.5 liter turbo-diesel pulls like a bull on steroids, so I know it's a good combo.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:16 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by gggplaya View Post
Most people are getting about 10mpg towing with an ecoboost. Ecoboost isn't known for it's towing mileage, all that horsepower at low rpm's mean less fuel economy. Chevy is claiming to be beat the ecoboost in towing mpg with their 2014 5.3L V8.

Here's the results 2013 Light-Duty Challenge: Mileage Drive - PickupTrucks.com Special Reports

We already know what towing a roughly 4000-5000lb loaded trailer with a 3.0L diesel will get for mileage. That's about 15-20mpg. We'll assume a curb weight of 5500lbs for a current half ton crew cab pickup. The sprinter van rv's weigh a little over 10,000lbs. They get 19-20mpg but factoring in a trailer where you have 2 drag loads, you'll get a few mpg less. So it's not bad to expect 15-20mpg, i really doubt it would be less than that.
That test doesn't compare towing performance - only mileage.

Towing mileage and towing performance are 2 different things.

Rather than rely on mags testing trucks, and generic box trailer testing I tested an ecoboost towing my load in my environment.
(brutal desert heat, hills and altitude)

Mileage aside- It's towing performance in the heat and altitude were astounding.

Lots of things can tow cheaper than an ecoboost - but they don't perform anywhere near the EB.

In the hills altitude and heat. The little NA 5.3 will be wheezing like grandpa probably getting great mileage but on the right hand side of the road with the blinkers on holding up traffic.

Is it as good as a turbo diesel- no, but the EB will put any other 1/2 ton on the trailer in the heat and at altitude.

UD
Old 09-29-2013, 12:42 PM   #77

Quote:
That test doesn't compare towing performance - only mileage.

Towing mileage and towing performance are 2 different things.

Rather than rely on mags testing trucks, and generic box trailer testing I tested an ecoboost towing my load in my environment.
(brutal desert heat, hills and altitude)

Mileage aside- It's towing performance in the heat and altitude were astounding.

Lots of things can tow cheaper than an ecoboost - but they don't perform anywhere near the EB.

In the hills altitude and heat. The little NA 5.3 will be wheezing like grandpa probably getting great mileage but on the right hand side of the road with the blinkers on holding up traffic.

Is it as good as a turbo diesel- no, but the EB will put any other 1/2 ton on the trailer in the heat and at altitude.

UD
If you go to the bottom of that report, there are multiple test reports. It is a pretty good read. However, the F150 still came in 1st place.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:52 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
If you go to the bottom of that report, there are multiple test reports. It is a pretty good read. However, the F150 still came in 1st place.
Its funny how perspective changes ones views.

My early 90's f350 got 9 in town & on freeway, and 9 towing, so the Titan felt like a wonder machine in 04 when I got it nearly doubling the highway MPG and beating its mileage towing 7500.

I am amazed the Ram couldn't beat the titans towing mileage.

UD
Old 09-29-2013, 01:10 PM   #79

Quote:
Its funny how perspective changes ones views.

My early 90's f350 got 9 in town & on freeway, and 9 towing, so the Titan felt like a wonder machine in 04 when I got it nearly doubling the highway MPG and beating its mileage towing 7500.

I am amazed the Ram couldn't beat the titans towing mileage.

UD
The other odd thing was the sprint to 60 with a payload. I did not expect the Ram to be at the back of the pack on that one.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:31 PM   #80

UHHHH,start a diesel and start a gasser.Makes my heart jump. Glory.
Cheers Gerald
Old 09-29-2013, 03:55 PM   #81

Quote:
It did make for interesting reading, though they tried quite well to be objective I think in some respects they fell short. If they're going to make towing performance tests, then either none of the trucks should be equipped with the factory max tow package, or they should all have that package. Ford did a smart thing supplying a F-150/max tow rig! Big difference in final drive ratios too.

If you convert the scores to percentages (as they did in the individual segments); Ford 100, Ram 99.3, GMC 99.1, Chevy 97.2, Toyota 92.0, Nissan 90.9. So even the "worst" truck was only nine percent behind the best of the bunch in a highly competitive market segment.

I do wonder how the new Ram 1500 diesel might have done in this group?

Cheers!
Old 09-29-2013, 04:12 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeckS View Post
It did make for interesting reading, though they tried quite well to be objective I think in some respects they fell short. If they're going to make towing performance tests, then either none of the trucks should be equipped with the factory max tow package, or they should all have that package. Ford did a smart thing supplying a F-150/max tow rig! Big difference in final drive ratios too.

If you convert the scores to percentages (as they did in the individual segments); Ford 100, Ram 99.3, GMC 99.1, Chevy 97.2, Toyota 92.0, Nissan 90.9. So even the "worst" truck was only nine percent behind the best of the bunch in a highly competitive market segment.

I do wonder how the new Ram 1500 diesel might have done in this group?

Cheers!
giving up 1% per year.....

That is exactly why Ive held on to the unchanged Titan for 9 years.

They "buy new" gap just wasn't enough to justify the money.

I lust after a new 3/4 ton Dmax/Ram..

Lots of things about the NEW f150 interior arent as good as the the decade old Titan.

--but I may just jump to a Cummins Titan.

UD
Old 09-29-2013, 04:29 PM   #83

Quote:
The other odd thing was the sprint to 60 with a payload. I did not expect the Ram to be at the back of the pack on that one.
Didnt seem odd to me.

Look at cubes, breathing, and transmissions.

Fords is forced induction with 2 water cooled turbos VVT and on boost- and with a 6 speed and no traction issues - it's going to sing.

The toyota has a great cylinder head on it VVT and 5.7 of displacement.

The GMC is the best of the 2 valve cam in block engines and lots of valve size and a 6 speed transmission-but giving up a few CC's of size, its a moderate displacement.

The nissan is an all aluminum DOHC 4 valve VVTI 5.6 - its a roaring bastard and extremely capable- but only a 5 speed trans. Its only a hearbeat behind the gmc- maybe a doorlength or 2. With a 6 speed it would likely beat the GMC.

The dodge is a 2 valve cam in block setup like the chevy-but bigger. iron block & aluminum heads (preety sure) are we sure this had the 8 speed in it? Seems like it was "caught between gears on this run.

UD
Old 09-29-2013, 04:35 PM   #84

Quote:
giving up 1% per year.....

That is exactly why Ive held on to the unchanged Titan for 9 years.

They "buy new" gap just wasn't enough to justify the money.

I lust after a new 3/4 ton Dmax/Ram..

Lots of things about the NEW f150 interior arent as good as the the decade old Titan.

--but I may just jump to a Cummins Titan.

UD
Good to keep your options open!

Jury is still out on what truck to buy, but at 198K on our '98 F-150, time is running out. My CFO has finally become convinced that refurbishing a 15 year old truck is not the best use of limited resources! LOL

Haven't heard much more than rumors about a Cummins Titan, but would expect that Nissan must be working hard to update their pickup.

Cheers, Bill

PS. Way to go SEAHAWKS!!!