Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2013, 04:43 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Dave View Post
Didnt seen odd to me.

Look at cubes, breathing, and transmissions.

Fords is forced induction with 2 water cooled turbos VVT and on boost- and with a 6 speed and no traction issues - it's going to sing.

The toyota has a great cylinder head on it VVT and 5.7 of displacement.

The GMC is the best of the 2 valve cam in block engines and lots of valve size and a 6 speed transmission-but giving up a few CC's of size, its a moderate displacement.

The nissan is an all aluminum DOHC 4 valve VVTI 5.6 - its a roaring bastard and extremely capable- but only a 5 speed trans. Its only a hearbeat behind the gmc- maybe a doorlength or 2. With a 6 speed it would likely beat the GMC.

The dodge is a 2 valve cam in block setup like the chevy-but bigger. iron block & aluminum heads (preety sure) are we sure this had the 8 speed in it? Seems like it was "caught between gears on this run.

UD
I cant see how it wasn't odd. On the towing acceleration it did very well against everyone. Only the payload it did poor. The Dodge also has the highest HP numbers in the group if I remember correctly and a high torque number. Just 10 lbs ft behind the ecoboost if I remember my numbers correctly. That truck did have the 8 speed tranny in it also.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2013, 04:59 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeckS View Post
Good to keep your options open!

Jury is still out on what truck to buy, but at 198K on our '98 F-150, time is running out. My CFO has finally become convinced that refurbishing a 15 year old truck is not the best use of limited resources! LOL

Haven't heard much more than rumors about a Cummins Titan, but would expect that Nissan must be working hard to update their pickup.

Cheers, Bill

PS. Way to go SEAHAWKS!!!
Its not a Rumor.

Cummins and Nissan have already announced.

Here is the Cummins press release.

Cummins to build the 5.0L V8 Turbo Diesel for the Nissan Titan pickup truck | The Block

more here

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/20/n...ins/#continued

UD

Old 09-29-2013, 05:22 PM   #87

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Its not a Rumor.

Cummins to build the 5.0L V8 Turbo Diesel for the Nissan Titan pickup truck | The Block

more here

Next Nissan Titan will get turbocharged diesel V8 from Cummins - Autoblog

UD
Cool!

Thanks for the update/links...

Bill
Old 09-29-2013, 09:02 PM   #88

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
The other odd thing was the sprint to 60 with a payload. I did not expect the Ram to be at the back of the pack on that one.
Having owned a Late model Hemi powered Car i can tell you those are higher RPM engines. They really pull well from 3500-5500 RPM . Also any time you have a intercooled turbo engine as soon as you hit you max boost you are at your max torque. The EC makes max boost somewhere around 2500RPM so it has a FLat torque Curve(more like a Plateau) All the way to its shift point.
THat is why It gets going quickly so well, and then it doesn't let up.

Quote:
That test doesn't compare towing performance - only mileage.
Towing mileage and towing performance are 2 different things.

Rather than rely on mags testing trucks, and generic box trailer testing I tested an ecoboost towing my load in my environment.
(brutal desert heat, hills and altitude)

Mileage aside- It's towing performance in the heat and altitude were astounding.

Lots of things can tow cheaper than an ecoboost - but they don't perform anywhere near the EB.
In the hills altitude and heat. The little NA 5.3 will be wheezing like grandpa probably getting great mileage but on the right hand side of the road with the blinkers on holding up traffic.

Is it as good as a turbo diesel- no, but the EB will put any other 1/2 ton on the trailer in the heat and at altitude.
UD
I think it is as good as a any Turbo diesel that GM or Dodge will put in thier 1/2 tons Because they don't want to loose sales of some of thier 3/4 ton diesels.
Look at this way
the 1/2ton pickups are 2/3rd the weight of the 3/4 ton trucks so it would make sense for them to make 4.2-4.6 V6 Diesel. NO way i see them doing that. They are going small like 2.8L or 3.0L.
GM and Dodge sometimes just won't do the right thing.
I think also the power level you see in the Ecoboost is just what ford wanted it to be. If they turned it up any more it would have out powered thier V8s,...including the new 6.2L
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:51 AM   #89

Quote:
Its not a Rumor.

more here

Next Nissan Titan will get turbocharged diesel V8 from Cummins - Autoblog

UD

Yea, no way it's a rumor now. Cummins is adding over 600 employees and ramping up production. If Nissan doesn't follow through, their going to have a boatload of 5.0 V8 cummins sitting in a warehouse somewhere. That's a lot of money to back down on, so everything i'm sure is in contract at this stage.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:55 AM   #90

I wish chevy would put the diesel from the Cruze into their Colorado line of pickups. The engine is already EPA approved, it's just a matter of fitting it in the Colorado. The cruze weighs 3000lbs and the colorado crew cab weighs 4000lbs. Price of the colorado would probably be right at $30k based on current pricing of both vehicles.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:57 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
Having owned a Late model Hemi powered Car i can tell you those are higher RPM engines. They really pull well from 3500-5500 RPM . Also any time you have a intercooled turbo engine as soon as you hit you max boost you are at your max torque. The EC makes max boost somewhere around 2500RPM so it has a FLat torque Curve(more like a Plateau) All the way to its shift point.
THat is why It gets going quickly so well, and then it doesn't let up.

I think it is as good as a any Turbo diesel that GM or Dodge will put in thier 1/2 tons Because they don't want to loose sales of some of thier 3/4 ton diesels.
Look at this way
the 1/2ton pickups are 2/3rd the weight of the 3/4 ton trucks so it would make sense for them to make 4.2-4.6 V6 Diesel. NO way i see them doing that. They are going small like 2.8L or 3.0L.
GM and Dodge sometimes just won't do the right thing.
I think also the power level you see in the Ecoboost is just what ford wanted it to be. If they turned it up any more it would have out powered thier V8s,...including the new 6.2L

GM/Chevy is in a bit of a bind right now. The thread title is chevy's new diesels but they aren't here yet and haven't yet been announced.

GM hasn't shipped what they announced half a year ago- the 6.2

They just spent a ton of dough on the gas 6.2 bringing it up to snuff with modern features but it's late- they missed basically 3/4 of the year and it isn't out yet. They will only have about 6 months of shipping just when their competitions diesels begin shipping..

The 6.2 will probably be top of the heap (at least at sea level in moderate temps)

Ford can inch up the power in the EB at any increment they see fit its only a 3.5 with very mild cams and tiny turbos. They can also up the mileage with a 7 or 8 speed or potentially introduce cylinder deactivation.

The one thing Ford/GM/Dodge- or anyone cannot do is give gasoline 20% more energy per unit that diesel has. This is a diesel advantge that is built in.

I dont see the midsize pickups getting diesels, it'd be nice, but I dont see it.

Uncle Dave
Old 09-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #92

Quote:
GM/Chevy is in a bit of a bind right now. The thread title is chevy's new diesels but they aren't here yet and haven't yet been announced.

GM hasn't shipped what they announced half a year ago- the 6.2

They just spent a ton of dough on the gas 6.2 bringing it up to snuff with modern features but it's late- they missed basically 3/4 of the year and it isn't out yet. They will only have about 6 months of shipping just when their competitions diesels begin shipping..

The 6.2 will probably be top of the heap (at least at sea level in moderate temps)

Ford can inch up the power in the EB at any increment they see fit its only a 3.5 with very mild cams and tiny turbos. They can also up the mileage with a 7 or 8 speed or potentially introduce cylinder deactivation.

The one thing Ford/GM/Dodge- or anyone cannot do is give gasoline 20% more energy per unit that diesel has. This is a diesel advantge that is built in.

I dont see the midsize pickups getting diesels, it'd be nice, but I dont see it.

Uncle Dave

Actually Ford and GM are working on a joint venture with a 9 and 10 speed transmission. I expect to see it some time next year. Maybe with the 2015 revamp of the F150.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:57 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
Actually Ford and GM are working on a joint venture with a 9 and 10 speed transmission. I expect to see it some time next year. Maybe with the 2015 revamp of the F150.
I saw that info dont know how real it is, but its a damm good plan.

UD
Old 09-30-2013, 12:02 PM   #94

Quote:
I saw that info dont know how real it is, but its a damm good plan.

UD
As far as I know it is very real. The front drive transmissions 6F50/55 and 6F35 that Ford uses and not sure of the GM names but they are a joint venture also.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:44 PM   #95

Looks like Toyota is talking to Cummins as well. Several sources out there...

Cummins Diesel V8 Considered for Toyota Tundra | AutoGuide.com News

Seems Toyota already has a bunch of diesels they could use - but since they've already been one upped...

UD
Old 10-02-2013, 08:33 AM   #96

Since I began this thread by talking about the GM diesel for light-duty pickups the market has expanded rapidly. Audi is the latest to announce they are selling a diesel engine-powered vehicle in the U.S. Sounds like diesel power is becoming a major player in efficient power-plants.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:07 AM   #97

That's because the only hybrids worth a darn are the small ones no bigger than a prius. The rest don't really offer enough increase in MPG to justify the cost, except if you drive all city miles.

Once you get to a certain point in weight, diesels make more sense for increasing MPG. Pretty soon we will start to see diesel hybrids.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #98

Like these http://www.fleetsandfuels.com/fleet-...new-york-city/