Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2013, 05:21 PM   #1

New Chevrolet 1/2T diesels on the way

This link has details: New Chevrolet Diesel Pickup Truck Confirmed | AutoGuide.com News
I think it is a great move by GM.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2013, 07:41 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
This link has details: New Chevrolet Diesel Pickup Truck Confirmed | AutoGuide.com News
I think it is a great move by GM.

the trucks in the pics look like they fell off the ugly tree and hit every branch going down

I don't think they are going to be much of a power house like the duramax since they are going to be small diesels, Dodge it doing it to, looks like Ford needs to step up now

Old 07-08-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm not sure I would want a diesel in a 1/2 ton pickup. They don't have the weight ratings to pull a heavy trailer, and diesel is way more expensive than gas for normal homeowner running around. Seems like they are looking to inject some unnecessary testosterone into 1/2 ton product line.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:40 AM   #4

This is not really big news. The RAM will start selling diesel 1500's before the end of this year. It's a 3.0 liter diesel with 240HP and 420ft/lbs of torque. While the ecoboost F150 offers more power, the diesel ram will get much better fuel economy while still offering that super low end torque and high altitude performance a turbo engine provides. The tow ratings should still be the same, for occasional long distance campers a 1/2 ton diesel is a no brainer, it'll be much better in the mountains going up long grades and at altitude. Yet when unhitched it gets exceptional fuel economy(expect high 20's). Essentially a truck you can live with everyday and tow on the weekends.

I'm sure the GM engine will be the exact same engine in the ram 1500. Since the engine is sourced from VM motorri which is 50% owned by Fiat(owns chrysler) and 50% owned by GM.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:39 PM   #5

It's a no brainer for the guy towing a 5-6000lb TT. Better mpg empty and towing. Will it payoff?, probably not but neither does Leather seats, Nav, and all that other stuff people get on their trucks. Unless you get a base reg cab V6 then none of it pays off.

On the topic of the article, I didn't read anything that tells me they are actually starting production like Ram is. Just more hearsay.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:53 PM   #6

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
So what is the benefit? You still have a 1/2 ton PU.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #7

If they put this in the 1500 Suburban, I'd buy one tomorrow. I love my Suburban, but not enough power for trailering and hills. The 6 liter you have to move up to 2500 and with all that extra weight, it's very thirsty. A diesel in a light truck is a wonderful alternative for people not needing a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering1 View Post
True but better mpgs
Old 07-11-2013, 08:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering1 View Post
You can't compare it to other classes of pickups. You need to compare it to other pickups within it's class. This truck, vs Ford, GM, Nissan, Toyota etc..... The only other truck with low end torque like this is the Ford ECOboost which only costs slightly less. But the Ram makes up for it with much better fuel economy, and i'm sure better towing fuel economy as well. The ford ecoboost gets crappy towing mileage.

Towing characteristics should be much better than gasoline higher revving counterparts.

The ratings shouldn't change because of the engine in this case, it has no more torque than the competitors, and far less horsepower. So the chassis, suspension, and brakes are your towing limiting factors.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by F239141 View Post
the trucks in the pics look like they fell off the ugly tree and hit every branch going down
I was like ok.... clicked on the link after reading the the thread and said... the ugly tree fell on it. I bought GMC/Chevy for years. Looks like they took a Equinox and put a bed out back.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:31 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
whoopie, now we will have people with 1/2 ton trucks putting on air bags and hooking up to their new 40' toy hauler 5er.

Ken
Old 07-11-2013, 08:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
whoopie, now we will have people with 1/2 ton trucks putting on air bags and hooking up to their new 40' toy hauler 5er.

Ken
LOL, heck I thought they did that now.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post

Ken
Wait a minute....you can't do that? LOL
Old 07-12-2013, 04:38 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
LOL, heck I thought they did that now.
Nope that is the 3/4 ton crowd for now.