Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2017, 04:35 PM   #1

New diesel as daily driver

I am in begining stages of reaserch of getting a new truck. looking at all big 3. The question I'm coming across is will my 16 mile daily commute be bad on the new emmision systems?
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2017, 05:10 PM   #2

I'm running a 2016 with all the EPA crap and I would not hesitate to run it daily @ 16 miles. 5-6 would be a problem.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:00 PM   #3

I have had my "new" 15 Silverado Duramax for almost 1.5 years now... True, most people say diesels need to be "run",,, but my daily trip to work is about 8 miles,,, stop and go city stuff... I let it warm up a few minutes in colder weather,,, (doesn't take long) and I Choose to change oil a little sooner than needed.. My choice... But so far,,, it is performing Great !!!! No problems... Sure we pull the 5vr a few times a year,,, but mainly a daily driver... Love it !!!!
Monkey

I might add,,, when it "regens",,, it will stop when I shut it off and resume next start... Never had the "keep driving" message before... No biggy,,, with my Chevy.... .
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:50 PM   #4

3 years with my 3500 srw as a daily driver. 65k total miles, 13k of that towing 16500lbs, 8k of that towing trailer with rzr, the rest all daily driving. Sometimes my daily drive is 15 mikes total, other days it's 80 miles. I've never seen a regen notice to keep driving and haven't experienced any issues. I change oil every 10k and fuel filter. Other fuel filter i change every other oil change. As long as u run the diesel under a good load every now and then I think they r fine.
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:32 PM   #5

Glad to hear from actual owners. Wouldn't be asking but in good old wi, winters keep us from being weekend warriors. So no towing from Nov thru March.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:48 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmech View Post
Glad to hear from actual owners. Wouldn't be asking but in good old wi, winters keep us from being weekend warriors. So no towing from Nov thru March.
Diesels need to get "hot" regularly, to burn off any condensation in the motor oil. So at least once a month in the wintertime, I'd load the bed with several hundred pounds of something (bags of play sand?), then drive about 20 miles at high speed such as the speed limit on interstate or comparable "freeways". Even better if you can find some steep hills to climb during that 20 miles or so.

Also change the oil based on the "severe duty" schedule, and use the thinnest diesel-rated motor oil allowed by your Owner's Guide. Way back when, that was 3,000 miles with 10w30 on my 1999.5 Powerstroke. Purest went even farther by paying the big bucks to run 5W30 synthetic, such as AMSOIL Signature Series Max-Duty Synthetic Diesel Oil 5W-30. Or 0w40 such as AMSOIL Signature Series Max-Duty Synthetic Diesel Oil 0W-40

No, I'm not a fan of Amsoil, but those links were handy. Any brand of synthetic motor oil from major oil companies such as Exxon/Mobil or Chevron/Texaco or Valvoline that meets or exceeds the OEM engine specs will be just as good as Amsoil.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:27 AM   #7

Aaron, being in WI, you might remember diesels have a plug in block heater, which helps a lot. I use it here in AR during the winter months. No need to keep it plugged in all the time, here anyway, just an hour or two before starting helps get block temps up. Less wear and tear... In your neck of the woods, I'd keep it plugged in all night,,, during very cold temps. I also use a fuel treatment year around, helps lube and clean the fuel system, not to mention the antijell properties. (important up north) . Not expensive at all really. I am almost 4000 miles so far on the last fill of DEF. Also no biggy.
Monkey
Old 03-19-2017, 09:28 AM   #8

With the addition of DEF and other emission tweaks the new diesels from all 3 are less of a concern for short stop and go type driving. I've got the worst of the worst. I have a 12 Ram CTD and other than the 5 months out of the year when it gets to tow our 5th wheel it is a DD with very short drives. Sometimes only a couple miles a day. I've never had the CEL popup that say the "DPF is full and needs attention" warning message. I have had a couple issues with the EGR valve sticking. I cleaned it last year and it's sticking again. It's a really easy procedure. I've had it 44 months and only have 42,??? miles on it. Point is the newer DEF trucks are much easier to live with overall.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:35 AM   #9

Oh ya, by my owners manual, it says a 'normal' regen happens around 700 miles. With my short trips in town, it happens every 400 miles. So far it is doing fine taking care of itself. It does burn a little more fuel in regen, just part of new emisions. I do love not smelling exhaust fumes !!! You can get right down by the exhaust (not recommended !!) and not smell anything at all !!!!!
Monkey
Old 03-19-2017, 09:39 AM   #10

I'm with Cumminsfan . 1 yr 4 months and just about to turn 12K miles. Over 3000 of those were towing our 5vr.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:06 PM   #11

Thanks guys, puts my mind at ease looking at the new trucks.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:39 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I would make some calls to the big 3 and ask if their diesels will be OK as a DD. I be they all say yes. Had mine now for 3 years and 33K with 10+k towing. It's a DD with many trips of <5 miles. Had a DPF fail and a recall on the SCR Cat. Have not seen a CEL in a long time ant they go away without issue. Sometimes all that EPA smog crap scares me some but really I just don't care any more. Just be ready to write the check for repairs when the warranty runs out. The thing pulls like an ox. No grade I can't pull at any speed I want.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:34 AM   #13

Aaron, guess you have read about the new for 2017 Duramax if you stay with GM. Its a Monster !!!
Old 03-20-2017, 09:22 PM   #14

I like saving my tow vehicle for towing,and use a car for work commuting.I have plenty of space and if one needs maintenance I can drive the other.Just looked at a 2017 f350 diesel dually $71,000.I think ill keep my 7.3
42willys is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, driver