Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2004, 11:56 AM   #29

Take a look at this http://www.cool-downtimer.com/

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2004, 09:17 AM   #30

You guys aren't gonna belive this!
I stopped at the dealer where I bought my truck and left it idle while I went in to check on something. When I came out, the service manager told me that I should never leave my truck idle. I explained to him that I had just came off the interstate and was letting the turbo cool down. He then told me that the new 6.0 engine did not need to cool down and that the idling did more harm than good. I told him that I would be happy to just shut it down all the time if I could get it in writing signed by him and the owner of the dealership. He continued to assure me that I did not need a cool down but I told him that I disagreed and unless he put it in writing, I would continue the cool down.
Happy Trails,
Big Orange Truck

2004 Cougar 304
Space Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 09:57 AM   #31

Normally I'm a pretty prudent guy, but I have to admit to having a slightly diffent opinion on the cool down issue.
- The reason I bought an EGT gauge was to monitor max EGT's while towing heavy. I want to make sure I don't exceed 1250 deg. I do suggest that an EGT guage should be standard equipment on all diesels and they are a worthy accessory for all diesel owners who want to make sure they're treating thier trucks in the absolute best manner possible.
That all having been said, I will not idle to cool down the turbo when running empty. IMO it just isn't necessary. When I pull up to a drive-thru window or stop at the bank or whatever, I intend to simply shut the truck off. Some people would say that this behaviour is going to cause my turbo to blow up, but I rather doubt it. I would guess that 95 percent of all diesel vehicles on the road do not have EGT gauges and the vast majority of those people shut off thier trucks and cars just as I do. Despite reading posts on various Diesel forums every day for several years, I've yet to hear of someone toasting thier turbo from doing what I describe. I had two diesel trucks before my current one and racked up over 100,000 mi without any turbo problems. Heck, even if I DID have to buy a new turbo every 3 - 5 years, It'd be worth it. I just don't have time to sit in my truck for 1-3 minutes every time I go to shut it off.

Dave
Old 07-28-2004, 10:14 AM   #32

Oil will burn and turn to coke at around 400 degrees F. A lot higher for synthetic. If the oil in the bearings of the turbo is allowed to cook, carbon is left and it will damage the bearings. For the replacement cost, I'll continue to monitor my exhaust temps and not take a chance on replacing a very expensive part on the truck.
I am amazed that a Ford dealer would tell anyone not to do a cool down. Then again, maybe not.
Jim

SPELL CHECK By IeSpell; Its free and it works.
JimmyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 11:27 AM   #33

JimmyDee,
Just to be clear, I don't disagree with anything you have said. Either most diesels aren't getting over 400 deg. when running around town empty or 400 degrees doesn't hurt anything because, as I said, turbos just aren't failing from normal use. It just isn't happening. Maybe I should consider a switch to synthetic oil though. Good point.

Dave
Old 07-29-2004, 07:28 AM   #34

Dave, I suggest that you read the diesel page postings a little more closely. I too have followed the postings and have noticed several turbo seal failures with resulting oil everywhere. I not talking about the numerous turbo pedestal failures. The coking problem does not cause the turbo to fail. It causes the shaft seals to fail. The coking produces small gritty particles that work on the seals. There is a lot of oil pressure behind those shaft seals and when they leak, it makes a mess. Maybe you were looking for complete failures? That is not a symptom of coking.

I agree that most people don't know about cooling down their diesels. But it doesn't cause an immediate failure. Like so many poor operating practices, the damage shows up later as a shortened lifespan for the engine parts.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:46 AM   #35

ATVr,
Again, I don't disagree that cooling down even when empty is a good thing, but I own a Dodge and am an active member of the TDR. I check the TDR website every day, maybe 6 times a day(I know, its like a disease!) as well as the odd visit to the DTR and Dodgeram.org. There are over 20,000 TDR members and there are often over 200 posts between my check-in times. I've been a member of the TDR for several years. In all that time I don't remember seeing even one turbo failure (or seal failure) due to lack of cooldown. In fact, turbo failures of any kind seem to be exceedingly rare. Only the high HP drag and sled pull guys running 50-100 lbs boost and 500 - 1000 hp seem to have much in the way of reliability issues at all.
I am sure that performing the cooldown drill every time you want to turn the truck off would be the ultimate care for your turbo, but I remain unconvinced that its a necessary precaution.
In any case, it doesn't really matter whether I'm right or wrong as I don't have the time to wait 1-3 minutes EVERY time I drive my truck. I will continue to perform the cooldown when towing and will continue to not perform the cooldown driving empty to work or around town. Time will tell, I guess.

Dave
Old 07-29-2004, 07:03 PM   #36

I leave mine running all the time when towing unless we are going in a restaurant or something. Then I will wait until my gauge goes down to 300F.
Fuel, quick pit stops etc, it stays running.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:23 PM   #37

I don't want to sit in the truck for 3-5 minutes either, hence the TTM does it for me. The truck locks as usual, the ignition switch locks, the steering column locks, the gear selector locks, I walk away with the keys in my pocket, but the engine continues to run until the TTM hits 300*. My performance turbo is inefficient at lower rpm's so the cool down time is around 5 minutes in the summer. Even the stock turbo would take 3-4 minutes in the summer driving empty in the city. Typically the EGT's are ~450-550* when I stop, so the TTM is an absolute necessity. Another thing that affects cool down is elevation. More air = cooler burn = lower EGT's = faster cool down.

I am also in the pre turbo school of thought. Smokey Wren on the Diesel-Stop has both and claims that there is a large inconsistant difference between the two methods. Surprisingly both methods reach the 300* point at about the same time at idle.

DZ
Old 08-15-2004, 12:50 PM   #38

The cool down timer mounts on the dash of your pickup truck. It's function is to allow the operator to set the timer, remove the key from the ignition, and have the truck continue to idle for a preset number of minutes.This allows the turbo and engine to cool down before the engine turns off greatly extending turbo life.

The timer has a rotary switch, a push button switch, and an LED. The rotary switch is used to set the time delay at 2, 4 or 6 minutes. The push button is used to start the timer and the LED is a visual indicator that the timer is working. The installation of the timer is very simple and can be done in 10 15 minutes. Fits trucks from 1989-2004

search on TDR for howard vanfleets cooldown timer.

i have this now, installed by harold bowers. i am religious in shutting down at 300 or less and always have been with the 7 diesel pu's i have owned and big trucks i have driven. now,,,thnks to the cooldown timer i just turnoff key and pocket it, lock doors and exit. the engine shuts down at the pre-set time of 2, 4, or 6 minutes depending on conditions. i normally have it set at 2 min while running easy

a good product and is reasonble price at 75 bucks or so
Old 08-20-2004, 07:35 PM   #39

Pyro and EGT gauge same thing. If you want confusion, ask if you should mount it pre turbo or post turbo! In lieu of a gauge, the three minute rule works. After a run let it idle for thee minutes. Pop the hood if possible to let the heat escape helps too.
Jim
Old 08-26-2004, 05:18 PM   #40

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Yianni:
I am really puzzled over the cool down period for Diesels.. The Question is, When Traveling with your Diesel, and you pull over for Fuel, rest, or to stop and eat at a Resturant, What do you do?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Read your Dodge owners manual. It gives guidelines for cool down times. I know it's important but obviuosly not important enough for DC to install EGT gauges on their trucks...I wish they would!

2006 Winners Circle 36SRV
Biker Buzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 06:01 AM   #41

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
I just ordered gauges from Dieselmanor.com whoch includes a EGT, boost, and tranny temp gauge. They also have a turbo cool down module that monitors the EGT and automatically shuts the engine when the temps hit 300 after shutting off the ignition. Turn off the key and walk away, and the truck will shut it self off when the temps are low enough. The monitor was $175 with the probe, and I believe $115 without. I will let everyone know how it works when it gets here, and I get it installed.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:49 AM   #42

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rick A:
I just ordered gauges from Dieselmanor.com whoch includes a EGT, boost, and tranny temp gauge. They also have a turbo cool down module that monitors the EGT and automatically shuts the engine when the temps hit 300 after shutting off the ignition. Turn off the key and walk away, and the truck will shut it self off when the temps are low enough. The monitor was $175 with the probe, and I believe $115 without. I will let everyone know how it works when it gets here, and I get it installed. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rick please let us know.That pod package is really inexpensive compared to others I have seen online.As far as cooldown,I bought a remote starter made for diesel trucks and has a 3 setting cooldown mode.I set mine for 3 min. and it works great.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote