Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2004, 07:17 PM   #43

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Yianni:
I am really puzzled over the cool down period for Diesels.. The Question is, When Traveling with your Diesel, and you pull over for Fuel, rest, or to stop and eat at a Resturant, What do you do?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Check your owners manual. It'll give suggested idle times after various driving situations.

2006 Winners Circle 36SRV
Biker Buzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2004, 03:18 AM   #44

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Frankie:

Rick please let us know.That pod package is really inexpensive compared to others I have seen online.As far as cooldown,I bought a remote starter made for diesel trucks and has a 3 setting cooldown mode.I set mine for 3 min. and it works great. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let me clarify, the monitor is $175 with probe. That is seperate of the gauge set and pod. The complete gauge set is $299 for everything needed to install the three gauges and A pillar pod. Still a good deal. My total with 3 day UPS shipping for everything was about $525. For knowing everthing going on with temps, and the truck monitoring turbo temps for shutdown automatically, I think it was a very wise investment. Still waiting on the parts. Takes extra time since I am having then paint the pod to match the interior.

Old 08-30-2004, 04:52 AM   #45

We've had an ISSPRO turbo temp monitor in our last two rigs. I just look at the EGT and if it's showing over 300 degrees I throw the switch. You just turn your key off, take the key and let the truck run. Once it hits 300 degrees, the engine shuts itself off. Too simple... For security purposes, you can't get back in the truck and just drive it away. It takes a key in the ignition to move.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:39 AM   #46

That is the one I have on order. How hard was the install?
Old 08-31-2004, 07:32 PM   #47

The install was a breeze Rick. I just drove the truck to the dealership and sat watching the tech put the turbo temp monitor in. Not in my ability range due to the various electronics involved. Cost me $30. for the install. The unit works like a charm though, I'd recommend one to anyone.
Old 09-01-2004, 04:40 AM   #48

Maybe I'll take that route too. I am going to attempt the install for the gauges myself, they seem pretty straight forward. I am a little leary about splicing into ignition wires and things of that sort though for the turbo monitor, so I'll leave that to the pros.

Thanks!
Old 04-12-2005, 12:28 PM   #49

Rick,
How did the install of the gauges go.I got mine in the mail today and just finished assemblie of the gauge pod wiring.I plan on doing my boost tomorrow with the banjo bolt,I may order the tapped tranny line from Mass diesel, a little pricey at $80.00 but a little more accurate than pan install.Still undecided on pyro,I get the feeling 1/2 say post and the other 1/2 say pre.Post would be an easier install for me ,but feel pre would help save me from a cooking situation a little quicker.I got the gauges from Diesel manor, I got a call from Dave there after I ordered them and he made a couple of suggestions to make the install easier,really nice guy. I have a mechanic lined up,but he can't get me in until 2 weeks. I dont have enough patient to wait that long.Any helpful hints would be a bonus

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 12:46 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Frankie,

If you're going to leave the truck stock, post-turbo would be OK. If, however, you're going to be doing any engine mods, I'd strongly recommend a pre-turbo installation (which is what I have).

If you're not aware of it, Diesel Truck Resource is a good free Dodge/Cummins site. You might want to check the discussion forums over there.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 03:00 PM   #51

Thanks Rusty
I go under Ozman on that forum.They played a huge part in my decision making on buying my truck.Most of those members are dedicated cummins , dodge gurus.
I have been outside since my last post and have my pod installed,80% of the wiring done ,thru the firewall,boost installed and working.I do believe I am going to go post turbo for now on the pyro,can alway add pre later.I am not going modify this truck till I get a bigger trailer,wont be for awhile.With all the resources online,I have plenty of confidence about doing it myself ,woohoo.

Old 04-13-2005, 01:13 AM   #52

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Goomba,
Not to try to sway you or not, but Pre-Turbo is more accurate. The reason you worry about EGT's is so we dont cook our turbos, and melt the interior fan etc. The Ford, was not hard to install, I am sure Dodge wont be much different.
Post Turbo works but you have to constantly figure out the true temp,

Good Luck with the rest of your install. Bye the way, the Tranny temp sender works ok in the Ford Pan, and I feel it is accurate. Is there a problem with the Dodges pan sender?

2 Boys & My Pups
NYMoose "Lenny" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 04:23 AM   #53

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:
I do believe I am going to go post turbo for now on the pyro,can alway add pre later. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would go with the pre turbo install on the EGT. Post Turbo temps are much lower than pre, and will not give y9u an accurate indication of what is really going on with the temps. There is no real linear comparison of post to pre turbo temps either. The genearal concensus of the Ford guys at www.thedieselstop.com is that the only thing post turbo temps should be used for is cool down. Pre will give you a better idea of when to back off the gas before melting something inside the engine. It was not a difficult install on my F-350. I wouldn't imagine it would any more difficult on your Dodge.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:28 AM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Just to clarify my previous post:

I am a strong pre-turbo advocate. That's how my thermocouple is installed - always has been. This placement is even more important with the "box" and bigger injectors that have raised my flywheel BHP from 245 stock to something like 408 now (converted from chassis dyno results). The additional fuel means additional heat (higher EGTs) that must be monitored.

The only reason I suggested to Frankie that a post-turbo installation might be acceptable for a stock engine is that Cummins uses a post-turbo installation in their commercial engines and have a data bank of information related to maximum allowable post-turbo EGTs for their various engine configurations and power settings. Once any modifications are made, however, all bets are off regarding usefulness of post-turbo EGTs. Some Dodge/Cummins forum participants who have both pre- and post-turbo thermocouples installed see a difference in readings that varies from 200 degF at light loads up to 500 degF at maximum output, so imputing pre-turbo EGTs from post-turbo EGTs is extremely difficult and of questionable accuracy.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 05:48 PM   #55

Thanks,
Rusty,you have been most helpful.I was going to go post turbo until I figured it would be easier to tap the manifold.It was a lot easier than I thought.I called NYMoose to reassure me I had what it took to do the job.I finished a little while ago.Everything seems to be working fine except my tranny temp.I put the sender in the pan,What should I look for for temps??I took a quick ride and it got to 125. It did not really seem to move like I thought it woud

Old 04-13-2005, 07:10 PM   #56

Texas Boomers Club
I'm wondering why the truck manufactures don't include a gague since it appears to be very important.
SS

skeetshooter is offline   Reply With Quote