Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-21-2014, 10:03 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
jimcumminsw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Oswego IL
Posts: 1,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Ram tow ratings really aren't that low, it's the payload rating that kills the whole thing. A truck that can tow 9000lbs should have more than a 1200lb payload rating IMO.
Per the Ram engineers on the Ram Body Builders Web Site under Base Weights/GCW/Payload/trailer tow page; footnote 3 states and I quote:
"Payload and maximum trailer weights are mutually exclusive. Additional the GAWRs and the GVWRs should never be exceeded." End quote.
This is the same footnote on the HD trucks also so I tend not to worry about payload as long as I do not exceeded the axle weights and truck and total combined weights of trailer and truck together. Tire loads are part of the GAWRs.

Jim W.
__________________

__________________
Jim & Jill
Sold: 2010 318SAB Cougar:New: 2016 Cedar Creek 34RL. 2008 Dodge 6.7LCummins the original 6.7L engine, w/68RFE Auto
jimcumminsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2014, 10:22 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Spicewood, Tx
Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
Per the Ram engineers on the Ram Body Builders Web Site under Base Weights/GCW/Payload/trailer tow page; footnote 3 states and I quote:
"Payload and maximum trailer weights are mutually exclusive. Additional the GAWRs and the GVWRs should never be exceeded." End quote.
This is the same footnote on the HD trucks also so I tend not to worry about payload as long as I do not exceeded the axle weights and truck and total combined weights of trailer and truck together. Tire loads are part of the GAWRs.

Jim W.
Guess the Ram engineers aren't that smart. "Definition of 'Mutually Exclusive'. A statistical term used to describe a situation where the occurrence of one event is not influenced or caused by another event." Real world maximum trailer weight is what is left over after subtracting loaded, wet truck weight from the GCWR. So, the more an owner uses up payload the less is left over for the trailer weight and the two are linked and therefore, NOT mutually exclusive.

However, I agree with your position, don't exceed tire/axle ratings is most critical.
__________________

__________________
Larry Day, Texas Baptist Men volunteer
'13 Silverado LT 3500HD D/A CCSB 2wd, custom RKI bed
'17 Puma 351THSS toyhauler
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:13 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,207
Problem with 1/2 tons and payload is that you hit the GVW and RAWR at the same time. On HD trucks like mine for instance I'm over the GVW but under the RAWR by 1100lbs. You can't do that with 1/2 tons. There's no up side with one. My 2500 is the same as a 3500 except rear spring pack. 1/2 tons are their own entity.
__________________
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:42 PM   #18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Problem with 1/2 tons and payload is that you hit the GVW and RAWR at the same time. On HD trucks like mine for instance I'm over the GVW but under the RAWR by 1100lbs. You can't do that with 1/2 tons. There's no up side with one. My 2500 is the same as a 3500 except rear spring pack. 1/2 tons are their own entity.
What about triple towing. You have the necessary weight on the bed for the 5th wheel but the total GCVW can be achieved because now you have the tongue weight on the back of the 5th wheel. Even though I don't know the weights but I have seen a lot of EcoBoost F150s with 5th wheels hooked to the bed with a boat attached to the 5th wheel.
__________________
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:21 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
jimcumminsw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Oswego IL
Posts: 1,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
What about triple towing. You have the necessary weight on the bed for the 5th wheel but the total GCVW can be achieved because now you have the tongue weight on the back of the 5th wheel. Even though I don't know the weights but I have seen a lot of EcoBoost F150s with 5th wheels hooked to the bed with a boat attached to the 5th wheel.
I won't triple tow even with a 1 ton dually these are not semi's you know.
Just because it maybe legal in your state does not make it safe to do.

Jim W.
__________________
Jim & Jill
Sold: 2010 318SAB Cougar:New: 2016 Cedar Creek 34RL. 2008 Dodge 6.7LCummins the original 6.7L engine, w/68RFE Auto
jimcumminsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:47 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
What about triple towing. You have the necessary weight on the bed for the 5th wheel but the total GCVW can be achieved because now you have the tongue weight on the back of the 5th wheel. Even though I don't know the weights but I have seen a lot of EcoBoost F150s with 5th wheels hooked to the bed with a boat attached to the 5th wheel.
Why not just get the right truck instead of complicating things? Not every state allows triple towing.
__________________
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:02 PM   #21
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Why not just get the right truck instead of complicating things? Not every state allows triple towing.
How would you take your 5th wheel and boat to where ever you go without triple towing? A F150 can handle the rated load but if you go over that then yes a larger tow vehicle would be needed. But At least here in Ohio/Michigan I see a lot of people want to go camping and take their boats with them. Then you have your vehicle to launch your boat. Im not sure I would want to take my 36' class A motorhome on a boat launch. You do need a triple towing endorsement though. Some very good friends of mine just went to Wave Rave in upper MI towing their 5th wheel and jet ski trailer. You do have to have a 5th wheel as a primary trailer and not a bumper pull.
__________________

__________________
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
diesel, dodge



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for diesel fuel jillie Class B Motorhome Discussions 14 05-16-2014 08:55 AM
Diesel Fuel - Truck vs Reg Diesel sstehman Class A Motorhome Discussions 10 04-30-2014 12:22 PM
Class A buyer Dilemma NEW Gas or USED Diesel compute42 Class A Motorhome Discussions 44 04-27-2014 12:34 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.