Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2014, 01:08 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Magnaflow Mufflers have lasted me quite a long time on my trucks (& RV) and I have never had a problem with one.
The magnaflow cat back on my Jeep has been on it since 06 and it in Fine shape. It has just over 100K miles on it.

(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2014, 01:32 PM   #16
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
I just did a better inspection of the system, and the rear resonator pipe is rusting away too. I might as well get at least the cat-back system, if not the full one. I'm wondering if there is much difference between a 4" and 5" exhaust, as more of my miles are empty as opposed to towing.

Old 07-22-2014, 02:35 PM   #17

If it were me, I'd get a piece of pipe to put in place of the cat, or at least gut it, and just get a stock sized straight flow muffler, like the Walker BTM.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:42 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
I'm wondering if there is much difference between a 4" and 5" exhaust, as more of my miles are empty as opposed to towing.
Way back when (around 1999), Gale Banks proved that there was no advantage in exhaust systems larger than 3.5" diameter in the 5.5-to-7.5 liter diesels common in pickups.. But diesel pickup enthusiasts didn't want to hear that, and continued to buy 4" and larger diameter systems. So Banks finally gave up educating his customers and sold them what they wanted. Folks stopped buying the 3.5" aftermarket exhaust systems, so Banks stopped selling them. Today the Banks Monster exhaust systems for diesel pickups are all 4" diameter.

Larger than 4" diameter actually reduces performance in pickup diesel engines. So no, you don't want a 5" or 6" exhaust system if your objective is towing performance. But if you just want to impress the bimbos, then bigger may be better.

Exhaust system materiel: There are three primary materials the aftermarket suppliers use to make exhaust systems.

Most sell 409 stainless systems, which is what the OEM suppliers put on new diesel pickups. That is not the mirror-finish chrome-looking stainless steel. It gets ugly and looks awful after a while, but it doesn't rust, so it will last "forever".

Some sell the 304 stainless systems, which is that mirror-finish chrome-looking stainless steel that you see on show trucks. But it costs a lot more than 409 stainless, and only your grease monkey will likely see it, so not many diesel pickup owners think it's worth the extra cost.

And some sell the el-cheapo aluminized steel exhaust systems. They work as good as the more expensive stainless systems, but they will rust out in a relatively short time - two to five years depending on factors such as whether your highway maintenance crews use salt in the sand they spread on the streets and highways in the wintertime.

If you see a great price for an exhaust system, it's probably aluminized steel. Read the fine print.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Larger than 4" diameter actually reduces performance in pickup diesel engines. So no, you don't want a 5" or 6" exhaust system if your objective is towing performance.
Who has proven that. I understand it doesn't improve performance, but I don't believe it hurts performance. These are not gasoline engines, they do not need backpressure.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:44 PM   #20

I had a 4" turbo back exhaust plus BD exhaust brake added to my 94 Cummins. Money well spent. 4" is plenty. Had an AfE intake also. Debatable whether the intake was worth it.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:53 PM   #21
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for all the info. After sifting through it, I decided to go with the 4" MBRP because I liked the lesser number of pipes and I found some other good reviews on it. Plus I found it for $564, so I am happy with that.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:13 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Who has proven that.
Gale Banks, the guru behind Banks Performance that makes the Banks Monster exhaust parts. I cannot find the quote I'm looking for, but here is an earlier chat thread on Ford-Diesel.com, which is now TheDieselStop:

zahn : If no backpressure is better, why do some who go to the 4" downpipe and 5" exhaust feel they have lost low end seat of the pants power?

Gale Banks : I don't think I got the entire question.

JLester : That one got chopped off. He was asking why some who have gone to 4" or 5" exhaust feel they have lost seat of the pants power?

Gale Banks : First of all, we found no additional power above 3.5". We lost none, and gained none, going to 4". In designing our DynaFact onboard dyno, we found that most peoples' seat-of-the-pants could not detect small differences in acceleration below 50 milli-Gs, or 1/20th of a G. I'd love to see actual measurements, then we'd really know.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:28 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Gale Banks, the guru behind Banks Performance that makes the Banks Monster exhaust parts. I cannot find the quote I'm looking for, but here is an earlier chat thread on Ford-Diesel.com, which is now TheDieselStop:

zahn : If no backpressure is better, why do some who go to the 4" downpipe and 5" exhaust feel they have lost low end seat of the pants power?

Gale Banks : I don't think I got the entire question.

JLester : That one got chopped off. He was asking why some who have gone to 4" or 5" exhaust feel they have lost seat of the pants power?

Gale Banks : First of all, we found no additional power above 3.5". We lost none, and gained none, going to 4". In designing our DynaFact onboard dyno, we found that most peoples' seat-of-the-pants could not detect small differences in acceleration below 50 milli-Gs, or 1/20th of a G. I'd love to see actual measurements, then we'd really know.
Well that makes sense that they didn't lose power. Obviously not going to gain flat out power, but I'm sure you gain spool up speed.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:55 PM   #24

Here more why bigger is not better. Also single in to dual out is not better for towing it's just for looks.

You will be happy with mbrp did you get the 300 stainless. Also borla does not polish the 300 cat back systems. Only magnaflow does this on there mufflers.

Q. Is a bigger pipe and muffler system better?

No, there has to be a balanced design to enhance the maximum engine output, exhaust gas velocity, and sound. If the diameter of the tubing is too large, the exhaust gas velocity will be reduced and rob the exhaust of thermal efficiency. Unfortunately we often disprove accepted racer mentalities like bigger is better. We must spend a great deal of energy explaining to someone how a 4" exhaust pipe will not work as efficiently as a 3" pipe. That is hard sometimes, but it is why we have magazine editors. Even with our excellent "track record" winning more professional car races than all the other muffler makers combined, we still often have to prove our theories to very well know top racers. One of these issues is volume versus velocity. The late John Lingenfelter helped us prove this over and over with his legendary Corvette exploits. People were often amazed how he would run 600 plus horsepower Vettes with 2 1/2" exhaust. If 4" would have made John go faster, he would have run it. We need to have a pipe large enough to overcome the boundary layer restriction in a dynamic flow situation while maintaining exhaust speed and evacuation. This isn't a simple axiom to understand, but the second best explanation is to say in race classes where let us say the budgets are seldom limited and the rules are not restrictive regarding exhaust, you will observe much smaller exhaust header tubing and exhaust pipes than some kids run on their 190-horsepower hand-me-down Honda sports compacts on the street.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:34 PM   #25
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast0ne View Post
You will be happy with mbrp did you get the 300 stainless.
Yes I did. Great price on it. 2 interesting things that I found in my search. First is that my truck, from the factory has a 4" exhaust, for what that's worth. Second is that many manufacturers do not have a true 5" muffler. Magnaflow and others neck down internally to 4", again for what that's worth. I am happier with the 4" pipe and am not looking for substantial increases in power, but just wanted to be certain that for a few more dollars I wasn't leaving some performance on the table.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:33 AM   #26

Yes you should always just stick with what factory installed. And yes lots of company's do bottle neck there systems.

I am installing my gmpp performance cat back today it is made by borla. And what a differance in build quality compared to the magnaflow cat back I have now. I am hoping to get rid of drone issues. And now a rattle.

Let us know how you like the mbrp cat Back they seem very popular in the diesel community.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:41 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast0ne View Post
Yes you should always just stick with what factory installed.
Thanks for the chuckle.

I agree. 4" on any street driven diesel OEM to 800-1000 hp is sufficient. Sounds like the OP got a system selected. I'm with ya. Start at the exhaust turbine and replace everything from there back.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:01 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post
Thanks for the chuckle.

I agree. 4" on any street driven diesel OEM to 800-1000 hp is sufficient. Sounds like the OP got a system selected. I'm with ya. Start at the exhaust turbine and replace everything from there back.

Glad I could make you laugh. But guess you figured out I was speaking about the pipe diameter.

Tags
cummins, dodge