Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2014, 02:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
The "old" Explorers were gas hogs and not very reliable. I helped Darling Daughter buy a new one using an X-Plan PIN from Mark back in 2002, but she wasn't crazy about it. I was visiting her in upstate New York one time, and couldn't pull my 5er up a muddy hill in her back yard. We hooked up her Explorer 4x4 and tried to get it to shift into 4x4 low to help my F-250 4x2 get up the wet grade. No luck. The Explorer wouldn't shift into 4x4 low, and in 4x2 it was useless. So we called a wrecker and got me out, then she took her near-new Explorer to her dealer to get it fixed.

But the newer Explorers sound like a maybe. With the 3.5L EcoBoost twin-turbo engine, they have plenty of towing power for a small boat or sled trailer, but with a gotcha that max hitch weight with the optional Class III receiver is limited to 500 pounds, which is a max tandem-axle trailer weight of around 3,500 to 4,000 pounds. With the 2.0L EcoBoost single-turbo engine, they get decent MPG. So they're on my list when my 4-cylinder Venza wears out. If I need to tow a trailer, I'll use my F-150 EcoBoost.
Stick with the base 3.5L or Ecoboost 3.5L V6's. The fuel economy is pretty decent and barely less than the 2.0L and a lot more towing power. The 2.0L Ecoboost Explorer is pretty light.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2014, 04:19 PM   #16

Quote:
... Ford X-Plan, it is also called the "Friends and Neighbors" plan. FoMoCo employees (but not including dealership employees) can give away PINs to their friends and neighbors that allows those friends and neighbors to buy a new Ford or Lincoln at a fixed discount price without negotiation or any dealership games.
I'm so disappointed to hear this as my son-in-law is a mechanic at a Ford dealership. I have finally settled on a Ford F-350 DRW. I've always owned GM but I want the sense of pride of owning a vehicle made by a company that didn't need a government bailout. Hope I can still make it work.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhuff8181 View Post
I'm so disappointed to hear this as my son-in-law is a mechanic at a Ford dealership. I have finally settled on a Ford F-350 DRW. I've always owned GM but I want the sense of pride of owning a vehicle made by a company that didn't need a government bailout. Hope I can still make it work.
Check with the dealer. Full time dealership employee's get D plan. D plan is $100 more than Ford employee A plans. I think a son in law would get you D plan but check the dealer as I could be incorrect on that.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:12 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhuff8181 View Post
I've always owned GM but I want the sense of pride of owning a vehicle made by a company that didn't need a government bailout.
Here! Here! My sentiments exactly.

Quote:
Hope I can still make it work.
Two ways to go about it.

1] One is to surf the internet to find a Ford employee or retiree that will give you an X-Plan PIN. Or if there is a Ford or Lincoln assembly plant in your area, find out the shift schedule and go to a bar near the gate there, and buy a beer or three for a couple of guys who are just getting off shift. Ask them if they know anyone that has an extra X-Plan Pin to give to you. I'll bet they do.

2] Or if there's no Ford facility near you, then go to a high-volume Ford dealer in your area and speak to no one but the Fleet manager. Ask the fleet manager if he will sell you a new F-350 DRW at invoice price and still give you all the Ford incentives under the same rules as an X-Plan customer. If he says yes, then that's a better deal than X-Plan. I know my Ford dealer would do that, and I'll bet a lot of others would too - especially if you ordered the Dooley instead of taking one out of his stock or making him do a dealer trade to get you the one you want.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:55 PM   #19

Agree on Duraflap they are really the best.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:54 PM   #20

Quote:
No, sorry. I've never owned a dually. For my F-150 I don't have any sort of mug guards or flaps, and don't need any.
Guess they stopped teaching reading comprehension in Texas further back than I thought.

You may not need mud flaps and I do see trucks every day that don't "need" them but are throwing rocks up and breaking the windshields of the cars following them. I have had to replace the windshields as a result of this damage from pickup trucks on both my current cars.

All my pickup trucks have had mud flaps added so I do not damage the vehicles of people behind me (or anything I might be towing). It is an odd concept but I don't focus solely on what is best for me alone and to hell with everyone else as you apparently do.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:22 PM   #21
Commercial Member

The DuraFlap are the only drill-less installation mud flaps with full coverage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011 Ford Dually.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	281.2 KB
ID:	74788   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011 F350 dually front no flares.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	296.2 KB
ID:	74789  

Old 09-25-2014, 02:55 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuraFlap View Post
The DuraFlap are the only drill-less installation mud flaps with full coverage.

Define what "you" mean by "full coverage".
wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 11:35 PM   #23
Commercial Member

By full coverage I mean wide enough and long enough to fully protect your truck and trailer or boat behind it.
Our dually mud flaps are 20" wide, and if you have after market wheels and tires that require a wider mud flap, we can custom make that fit. We design the drill-less to be about 7" off the ground. Just high enough to help keep you from backing into curbs or parking guards when not towing, but long enough to keep the rocks from flying under the mud flap and reaching a height that hits your toad. Just like the width, if your truck is lifted, or you require a mud flap closer to the ground, we can custom make them to the length you need.

Tags
diesel