Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2014, 03:31 PM   #1
M2D

New F350 Diesel Dually Question

We brought our new truck home today.

We were able to buy it with the X plan through a friend in Ford finance and also received a generous rebate. Oddly enough the dealer did not try to sell us any extras.
The truck was traded in from a dealer in another state. It has pretty much everything except mud flaps.

We would like to put mud flaps on our new truck. I have seen quite a few on the internet. Would any of you have an opinion as to any particular brand or type of mud guard.

I want to add that we have carefully followed the advice given here in choosing the size and the diesel and the dual wheels to compliment our new to us 2010 NuWa Hitch Hiker 32.5. It is 34 feet long and in the 12,000 pound range with a 15,000 or so top out for trailer weight.

It is perhaps doable with a one tone SRW but we wanted to be conservative as we plan to travel all over our beautiful country.

M2D
M2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2014, 04:10 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2D View Post
We were able to buy it with the X plan through a friend in Ford finance and also received a generous rebate. Oddly enough the dealer did not try to sell us any extras.
X-Plan rules do not allow a dealer to gouge you on things such as increased dealer prep charges or overpriced extras that are mostly profit.

For those not familiar with the Ford X-Plan, it is also called the "Friends and Neighbors" plan. FoMoCo employees (but not including dealership employees) can give away PINs to their friends and neighbors that allows those friends and neighbors to buy a new Ford or Lincoln at a fixed discount price without negotiation or any dealership games.

X-Plan is used as the Ford Employees' "Friends and Neighbors" program, as well as the Ford Partners Program. Ford partners are Ford's suppliers, bankers, insurance companies and other business partners. If you work for a big company, they may be a Ford Partner.

Here are the current rules for X-Plan:

X Plan Rules

It's not hard to find a Ford employee or retiree that will give you an X-Plan PIN. Any employee of a Ford assembly plant can give you a PIN. Or if you know someone higher up the food chain than an assembly plant, or anyone that retired from Ford, they will be glad to give you a PIN too. Ford employees want Ford to prosper, to add job security. I have used X-Plan a few times. I get my PINs from the guy that posted the article on X-Plan rules. Thanx again, Mark.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:37 PM   #3
M2D

Thank you Smokey Wren,

Would you have a recommendation for mud flaps? I have been looking at the sponsor's Dura Flap site.
Have also been reading precious posts about mud flaps. Are the weighted ones better for different situations?

Thanks,

M2D
M2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:25 PM   #4

Quote:
We brought our new truck home today.

We would like to put mud flaps on our new truck. I have seen quite a few on the internet. Would any of you have an opinion as to any particular brand or type of mud guard.

I want to add that we have carefully followed the advice given here in choosing the size and the diesel and the dual wheels to compliment our new to us 2010 NuWa Hitch Hiker 32.5. It is 34 feet long and in the 12,000 pound range with a 15,000 or so top out for trailer weight.

It is perhaps doable with a one tone SRW but we wanted to be conservative as we plan to travel all over our beautiful country.

M2D
Smart choices you made.

As far as mud flaps, we have Weathertech. This is my second truck with them, and very pleased. No drilling required. Excellent, tight molded fit. Looks factory.

wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:37 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thank you Smokey Wren,

Would you have a recommendation for mud flaps?
No, sorry. I've never owned a dually. For my F-150 I don't have any sort of mug guards or flaps, and don't need any.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:47 PM   #6
JDT

I got a set of Dura Flaps for our new truck, the weighted kind. Very well built and great folks to work with. We just did a 2K trip and there was very little road junk that got on the fifth wheel.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:42 PM   #7

New F350 Diesel Dually Question

X2 on the Weather Tech mud flaps. Easy no drill installation.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 12:19 AM   #8

Go to duraflap.com
You can get the mud flaps without the stainless steel or with them. It just depends on if you want them to dress your new truck up. No drilling is required for front or rear installation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011 F350 Knapton lariat 032.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	336.1 KB
ID:	73578   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011 Ford.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	354.7 KB
ID:	73579  

DuraFlap Mud Flaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:09 AM   #9

Every new truck/car needs Weather Tech floor liners. They cover the hump and everything. Will hold a lot of snow or water. My logic says if they make the best floor mats I'm guessing they make good mud flaps.
Jugghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 05:09 PM   #10

There was dirt for the first time on our unit just the other day.
I removed my old flaps to install new ones that I still not bought yet.
Yes I need flaps behind my truck wheels. I usually install short ones that deflects the air downward without sweeping the road debris.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:55 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
X-Plan rules do not allow a dealer to gouge you on things such as increased dealer prep charges or overpriced extras that are mostly profit.

For those not familiar with the Ford X-Plan, it is also called the "Friends and Neighbors" plan. FoMoCo employees (but not including dealership employees) can give away PINs to their friends and neighbors that allows those friends and neighbors to buy a new Ford or Lincoln at a fixed discount price without negotiation or any dealership games.

X-Plan is used as the Ford Employees' "Friends and Neighbors" program, as well as the Ford Partners Program. Ford partners are Ford's suppliers, bankers, insurance companies and other business partners. If you work for a big company, they may be a Ford Partner.

Here are the current rules for X-Plan:

X Plan Rules

It's not hard to find a Ford employee or retiree that will give you an X-Plan PIN. Any employee of a Ford assembly plant can give you a PIN. Or if you know someone higher up the food chain than an assembly plant, or anyone that retired from Ford, they will be glad to give you a PIN too. Ford employees want Ford to prosper, to add job security. I have used X-Plan a few times. I get my PINs from the guy that posted the article on X-Plan rules. Thanx again, Mark.
yes sir i use my x plan pin every time we get a new ford, it makes the whole deal so much easier
i love that fact i can gift a few each year to family
join DAV (disabled American veterans) and as a lifetime member you get four pins per year to do with pretty much as you please IAW the rules

Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:38 PM   #12

Thanks Smokey for posting the A Plan and X Plan rules.

They've really changed the plans over the years. I bought many cars under A Plan, and I'd be certainly thankful to save anything when buying a car.

After 24 years, Ford sold my division (tractors and equipment) to Fiat which has since merged with Chrysler.

Not once has the New Chrysler/Fiat contacted any of their Case New Holland/Kobelco retirees with such a program. I can see my self driving a Fiat 500--one for each foot.

I intend to drive my 118K mile 2003 F250 7.3 diesel for the long run, and it's still a beautiful truck. Thanks to guys like you that know them so well and are willing to share your knowledge.

Had I known about "sponsors" arranging for X Plan, I would have got one of my Ford retiree co-workers to get it for my 2014 Explorer. I had no idea the Explorers were such fantastic vehicles until I bought one--and well priced.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:28 PM   #13

I've always used Husky flaps on my duallys.
Husky LinersĀ® - Floor Liners | Floor Mats | Car Floor Mats | Cargo Liners | Mud Flaps | Huskyliners.com
Old 09-13-2014, 11:46 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I had no idea the Explorers were such fantastic vehicles until I bought one--and well priced.
The "old" Explorers were gas hogs and not very reliable. I helped Darling Daughter buy a new one using an X-Plan PIN from Mark back in 2002, but she wasn't crazy about it. I was visiting her in upstate New York one time, and couldn't pull my 5er up a muddy hill in her back yard. We hooked up her Explorer 4x4 and tried to get it to shift into 4x4 low to help my F-250 4x2 get up the wet grade. No luck. The Explorer wouldn't shift into 4x4 low, and in 4x2 it was useless. So we called a wrecker and got me out, then she took her near-new Explorer to her dealer to get it fixed.

But the newer Explorers sound like a maybe. With the 3.5L EcoBoost twin-turbo engine, they have plenty of towing power for a small boat or sled trailer, but with a gotcha that max hitch weight with the optional Class III receiver is limited to 500 pounds, which is a max tandem-axle trailer weight of around 3,500 to 4,000 pounds. With the 2.0L EcoBoost single-turbo engine, they get decent MPG. So they're on my list when my 4-cylinder Venza wears out. If I need to tow a trailer, I'll use my F-150 EcoBoost.

Tags
diesel