Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2016, 01:21 PM   #1
SnS

New/First TV--Some questions. Tires, etc

Hello, my first post here so be gentle.

I've looked around and searched the site a bit already and found a lot of knowledge here. I'm hoping to tap into it as we go through the steps of getting our first setup...

We got a TV this summer. We're "DINKS" in our mid 50s-- one partially retired and the other with a flexible enough job to travel for lengths of time (Did a 2 month fly fishing trip this summer living in a tent for example). Almost pulled the trigger 3 years ago but went online and found out that there is more to this than meets the eye, and that mistakes can be expensive, dangerous, or both.

We plan to get a trailer probably in the 25-29 foot range, and have been to numerous RV shows over the last 10 years (where amazingly, anything is "half-ton towable.."). As far as usage, we would like to go on some longer trips, including Out West and through the Rockies as well as some flatter towing through warmer states in the SE US over the winter.

In addition, we live in a snowy climate (MI), and I will use the truck for outdoor fun that will involve driving on dirt roads . So I'd like some tires that will work well in slippery conditions, but don't need a full-out Off Road capability.

The TV is a 2008 Silverado 2500HD Diesel 4WD Crew Cab. Stock tires are LT245/75 R16, it currently has LT265/75 R16. I know I need the E rating to keep the weight numbers. The two main questions I have right now are:

Can I continue to use the larger sized tires?

The difference in circumference appears to be about 3.6%. The site I used says that makes a 3.73 ratio into a 3.59 ratio. The Duramax owners manual has data for the 3.73 axle that shows 13,000 max trailer weight and GCWR of 22,000. Our planned use is WAY below this, but I'm not a mechanic and am wondering if anyone sees a problem.

What tires might be preferable?

In looking though some of the old threads here, Michelins seem highly regarded. In the Michelins, I'm looking at the Defender LTX M/S and the LTX A/T2. I also saw the BF Goodrich All Terrain TA KO2 which looks great, but has mixed results as far as durability. I'd be interested to hear any recent updates on which tires people are using and how they're working out.

What am I missing here?

Often the devil is in the details. As I alluded to earlier, a few years ago, we were ready to dump 70 grand into a setup that, upon research, I believe would have been under powered and limited as far as payload. Lucky to have dodged that bullet. When the chance came to get a good deal on this TV, we decided to get started and I'd like to do this right the first time.

Thanks in advance for any help and input. I'll continue to lurk and learn. Still have to figure out what hitch system and (of course) what kind of trailer to eventually buy before our adventure starts out, so you may see some questions about those topics as well. If there's some other things I should read or websites to visit, please let me know.

Blue Skies,

Scott n Susan
SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2016, 04:14 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS View Post
Hello, my first post here so be gentle.

Quote:
I've looked around and searched the site a bit already and found a lot of knowledge here. I'm hoping to tap into it as we go through the steps of getting our first setup...

We got a TV this summer. ...a 2008 Silverado 2500HD Diesel 4WD Crew Cab. Stock tires are LT245/75 R16, it currently has LT265/75 R16. I know I need the E rating to keep the weight numbers. The two main questions I have right now are:

Can I continue to use the larger sized tires?
Yes. As you've figured out, the taller tires will slightly reduce the GCWR of the truck, but only by a few percent. Ignore that overstated 13k tow rating, but you should be able to tow a TT that grosses up to around 10k with0ut exceeding any of the weight ratings of your Chevy.

If you insist on a 5er, then the gross weight of the trailer falls down closer to 9,000 pounds, not because of pulling power but because of payload capacity for hitch weight, along with the other weight of people, pets, tools, jacks, etc. you will be hauling when towing.

It's nice you have a three-quarter-ton tow vehicle, but don't fool yourself that it can tow as much as a one ton. It won't, without exceeding the payload capacity of the 2500.

Ignore the uninformed rumors that say a fifth wheel trailer tows a lot better than a travel trailer (TT). It doesn't, if the TT has the right hitch. Sure, a 5er with a good hitch tows a lot better than a TT with a cheap hitch. So don't buy a cheap hitch. But my TT with my ProPride 3P hitch tows just as good as my previous 5er with a good 5er hitch.

As a general rule, a 5er will cost a lot more than a TT of the same box size, quality and options. Enough more that you can pay the difference in a good 5er hitch and a ProPride hitch with the difference in the price of the trailer.

Quote:
What tires might be preferable?
In looking though some of the old threads here, Michelins seem highly regarded. In the Michelins, I'm looking at the Defender LTX M/S and the LTX A/T2. I also saw the BF Goodrich All Terrain TA KO2 which looks great, but has mixed results as far as durability.
I'm a Michelin fan. The Defender LTX M/S is a very good choice if you don't get stuck in a deep snow bank. If you're likely to have to go through deep snow before the snowplow gets there, then the A/T2 would be the better choice. I don't live in snow country now, so I choose the A/S2 tread. The older design M/S2 is also very good.

Way back when, I paid too much for AllTerrain T/A tires on my F-250 diesel, and they wore out way too soon. I replaced them with Michelin XPS Traction and was then a happy camper because the XPS got almost twice the mileage of the AllTerrain. Then I put XPS Ribs on the front axle, and they lasted even longer. But the XPS comes only for 16" rims, so I had to switch to LTX for my newer pickup with 18" rims.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 12:09 PM   #3
SnS

Smokey..

Thanks very much for the reply, and the towing comments. I'll be making a decision on which of the Michelins to buy in the next few days. The comments on fifth wheels are appreciated as well. We are planning on a TT and then having a shell on the truck to launch out on adventures after we get the TT parked and unhooked.

These are my preliminary numbers. I'm thinking the closest we'll be to a limiting factor will be the combination of a shell (cap, canopy...), kayaks, passengers, fuel, and goodies in the shell..and the tongue weight and hitch. I obviously haven't weighed it yet (still waiting for the shell), but I estimated using a 7000 lb trailer (loaded and wet) which is about the biggest we're looking at, and rounded to 1000 lbs for a 13% tongue weight.

fuel---------------160
Pax, bags---------450
Shell and yaks---500
cargo in TV-------500

sub total--------1610

Tongue weight---1000
WD hitch--------- 100

Sub total--------1100

Total-------------approx 2700#

curb weight 5500
total extra 2700
-----------------> 8200, (GVWR=9200)

rear axle curb wt 2425
+ total wt 2700
IF 100% wt on rear axle: 5125 (Rear Axle rating 6084)

Empty weight 5500
Loaded Truck sub 1610
Loaded.wet trailer 7000
Total-----------------14,110 GCWR 22,000 (I also saw 16000 somewhere??)

Wow!! no wonder you need good brakes!! Let me know what I missed.

Hitch wise, I'm with you on getting one of the BEST. (and will be appreciative of any other inputs) Here's why:

When I was about 8, my family got a travel trailer. It was 17 ft long and we towed it with a 1958 Pontiac Station Wagon. One day driving along a curvy road in the Colorado Rockies, the trailer started to move back and forth. It got worse each successive cycle. Eventually, we were swerving uncontrollably across both narrow lanes. The tires were squealing and it was apparent that we'd be heading off the road on one side or another in the next cycle or two. One side would put us into some nasty granite rock walls, the other dropped steeply into a pine forest. I should probably also mention this was in the pre seat-belt days.

For some reason, my Mom thought to mention the trailer brake, which was a small box secured below the steering column with a metal rod sticking out of it. You had to move your knee laterally to move this rod if you wanted to use the brakes on the trailer. My Dad was able to do this, although I'm still not sure how. We were sliding all over the back seat as the station wagon swerved. That did the trick. We pulled over and got stopped. There was stuff EVERYWHERE inside the trailer. Long story, but I have no desire to repeat an experience like that or anything close.

Thanks again for sharing your wisdom!

Scott n Susan
SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 12:23 PM   #4

Hi,
From my experiences, with a similar truck your trucks will probably scale ready to go around 7500 pounds with a GVWR of 9200 pounds. Leaving you a scant 1700 pounds for hitch gear, hitch weight, and a few extras. Will the truck pull a lot heavier? Sure, but when loaded you will run short of actial,payload in a hurry. Figure 12% of your intended trailers GVWR as a starting place to make sure your within specs.

Tags
tires