Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #1

Smile New from Iowa-Advice Welcome!

Hi, I just located this site and live in Iowa. I am widowed and am interested in purchasing a different RV. I own a travel trailer now and can set it up by myself. However, I do have problems often attaching the leveling bars to the back of my truck to the trailer tongue. Depending on the location, I sometimes don't have enough strength to lift the bars into place. Over the years, we've owned just about everything (Class A, 5th wheel, travel trailer, pickup campers) However, I then had a husband to assist with some of the work involved in parking, leveling, maintenance, etc. I lost my husband to cancer 15 months ago.

As a single woman, I would welcome your input as to what would be the smartest and simplest choice for me in purchasing a rig. I'm looking for pros and cons. I'm torn between a 5th wheel or a class A mortorhome. I have no problem with driving or parking either. Just looking for the easiest for a 5'1" female to deal with.

I'm looking forward to educating myself here!

Pam
SparkyDMFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2013, 12:42 PM   #2
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Do you expect to live in your RV full-time? or just a few weekend jaunts? Usage will make a huge difference in what you need. Also, what's your budget? New RVs can run from $10,000 to $2,000,000+.

BTW, you can jack up the trailer, once hitched, to the point that the bars just slide into place-no real lifting involved. Maybe all you need is a power jack for your current trailer to get you camping again.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:46 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Pam! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

So sorry about your loss! First, I would suggest that you post questions over in the specific areas of the forum for best results. Not many folks hang out here in the Welcome area. For this question you would probably want it under "Forums", then "IRV2 General Discussions". Maybe one of the Moderators will move it for you.

It's tough to answer your question because a lot of things come into play.

What is your budget figure for another RV? If the budget will allow, my thinking would be that you would be better off with a late-model motorhome in maybe the 32' to 35' range. It would probably be much easier for you to drive and set up than a 5th wheel. Then you get into the question of whether to go with a gasser or DP. That comes back to the budget, not only for buying it initially, but also the ongoing maintenance costs. The DP would be much more comfortable to drive and ride in because the engine noise will be negligible and the suspension is usually much better.

I'm sure others will offer suggestions. Just don't get in a hurry and get talked into something that you might regret later.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:59 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:10 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
from NH.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:52 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Easiest & fastest would be the Class A.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:32 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:46 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome! You've had them all before, which did you prefer?
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:35 AM   #9

Thanks!

Yep, I've owned them all but I honestly preferred the Class A. However, that was many, many years ago and we owned just a tiny little 18' Winnebago Brave when we were still young with little babies. There weren't as many "bells and whistles" as they have now.

I enjoyed our 5th wheel and it was really easy to hook onto and tow with the newer tilt-head hitches. However, I'm still leaning toward a Class A.

Thanks for your response!

Pam
Old 07-20-2013, 10:36 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Hi and
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:32 AM   #11
Community Administrator

Welcome to irv2.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:33 PM   #12

re: Attaching the weight bars. After hooking the ball hitch, and before you lower the tongue jack, attach the bars . It makes it so much easier, you already know which chain link to use.
If you decide to move to a different RV, consider a smaller Class A with automatic leveling jacks for sure. The downside to this is you have to tow a car. That's not difficult for a couple, but one person has to do everything, and it's difficult for one person to hook up a towed car sometimes.

Welcome to irv2.com and the extended camping family!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:45 AM   #13

Thanks so much for your advice! I had not thought about hooking up a tow car alone. I guess everything has it's pros and cons. I do raise the tongue of the trailer and truck as high as it will go before attaching the leveling bars....but often it's just not quite enough. Also if I'm not on very level ground when doing this it makes a difference in how much effort I'm going to have to put into lifting those into place. Another factor is that I'm only 5'1 so I don't have very far that I can pull "up" before I have to try to curve around and get "under" the bar to push overhand. I know that probably makes no sense, but if you could see me doing it probably would (ha!). Thanks again!
Old 07-23-2013, 08:43 AM   #14

I do understand about "pulling up"; once you reach waist-high, any higher gets much more difficult. A longer bar would help with more leverage, but require an even higher movement to lock-over the cams. If money were no object, a Class A MH with a garage in back for a small car would be nice.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote