Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2016, 10:46 PM   #1

New To Me Tow Vehicle

I'm looking at a 2014 Ram 3500 diesel. Anyone running one have some feedback on them for me??
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2016, 11:20 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
What are you interested in learning?

Dual, or single?

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
2005 Fleetwood Revolution
'12 Chevy 2500HD
'15 Airstream International Signature 27FB
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 11:37 PM   #3

Single axle. Most of what I have been told of these vehicles has been positive. I am wanting to know if there are any chronic issues with them.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 10-14-2016, 02:35 AM   #4

Have you asked on any of the Dodge specific forums about this truck? Might get a better response than here.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:58 AM   #5

Had a Ram 2500 and decided to upgrade truck so we could get a larger 5th wheel. WE both liked the ride and drive of the Ram 2500. I purchased a Ram 3500 SRW new off the lot. Lots of power and i enjoyed driving it. It is a high step off the ground so some type of steps are helpful. Also the ride was very rough! Wife didn't like the ride so we traded for a Chevy. Nice truck but height and very rough ride were what made us trade it off. Wife is happy with Chevy and so am I.
Old 10-15-2016, 09:22 PM   #6

I like my 3500. Ride can be harsh with tires inflated to 80psi when empty. Back them down to 45 in the rear, 65 front and it takes a lot of the jolt out.
I have had 3 cel, but they were due to a bad batch of DEF.
Pulls well, but not a race car.
Don't expect 20+ unless you drive under 70.
It's comfortable for me. I think they are the best looking. Cummins brand has a solid history. With any brand, competent service will depend on the dealership.
Oil change intervals are 6mos or 15k. Every 15k there are 2 fuel filters to change. They cost $100 online or $150-180 at your local parts house or dealer.
CP3 HPFP is rock solid and proven to last with ULSD, unlike the CP4 in all 6.7l Powerstroke and '11-'16 Duramax. (~$10K repair)
Cold weather climates provide additional challenges for diesel ownership.
Old 10-16-2016, 12:20 AM   #7

Thanks for the tip with tires. This will be the first diesel I will have so I'm not sure of some of your terms, but I'm sure I'll be learning them.

John & Linda
2015 Timber Ridge 260RLS & Chev 2500HD
Old 10-16-2016, 08:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Thirty View Post
Thanks for the tip with tires. This will be the first diesel I will have so I'm not sure of some of your terms, but I'm sure I'll be learning them.

John & Linda
2015 Timber Ridge 260RLS & Chev 2500HD
Cel = check engine light. I have a $50 OBDII reader. It can read codes and clear them. Places like Oriellys will scan for you for free.

DEF = Diesel Exhaust Fluid or Urea.

Our trucks have sensors to test the strength of the DEF. I topped of my DEF at an RV island at a truck stop and within 70miles I had a CEL for DEF not being strong enough. I cleared it but it came back 2 more times before I could add enough fresh DEF.

DPF = Diesel Particulate Filter. This catches the soot. Our truck's will do a regeneration every so often where it will run extra rich to bring exhaust temps high enough to burn off trapped soot in the filter. It is always a good idea to take your truck out for an extended drive on the highway now and then if you have been doing a lot of city driving. Don't let your truck idle for extended periods or you will plug your filter faster.

ULSD = Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel

HPFP = High Pressure Fuel Pump. CP3 and CP4 are Bosch made. They use the fuel as rhe lubricant. The CP3 is lower pressure than the CP4. The CP4 was not originally designed for the ULSD in the USA that often has much less lubricity than European or Canadian fuel. This causes the pump to wear and fail. When it fails it sends metal through the fuel system and will require the entire fuel system to be replaced for ~$10k. Bosch has since changed the CP4 to run on reliably on American fuel, but as with any moving part, it will eventually fail in the same way, just not as soon as before.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:08 AM   #9

Thanks for the info. We are picking up the truck tomorrow morning.

John & Linda
2015 Timber Ridge 260RLS
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L
Old 10-16-2016, 10:02 AM   #10

"HPFP = High Pressure Fuel Pump. CP3 and CP4 are Bosch made. They use the fuel as rhe lubricant. The CP3 is lower pressure than the CP4. The CP4 was not originally designed for the ULSD in the USA that often has much less lubricity than European or Canadian fuel. This causes the pump to wear and fail. When it fails it sends metal through the fuel system and will require the entire fuel system to be replaced for ~$10k. Bosch has since changed the CP4 to run on reliably on American fuel, but as with any moving part, it will eventually fail in the same way, just not as soon as before."

The main reason I use a fuel additive. (Stanadyne) Some do, some don't. Personal preference.
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Thirty View Post
Single axle. Most of what I have been told of these vehicles has been positive. I am wanting to know if there are any chronic issues with them.

The only chronic issue I know of is, if you're towing a fifth wheel, is the constant noise that sounds like, "you're overload, you need a dually, you're overloaded, you need a dually".
Old 10-16-2016, 03:44 PM   #12

That's funny. I only heard " your wallets empty, your wallets empty. 😀

John & Linda
2015 Timber Ridge 260RLS
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L
Old 10-22-2016, 02:51 PM   #13

Fvstring-now that right there was funny!

2012 NuWay HitchHiker 363RSBDA, 2016 Ford F-350 Dually 6.7

Tags
tow