Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2015, 01:25 AM   #15

That push/ pull effect (lurching) you're feeling is a completely normal sensation with a bumper pull trailer and a truck with compliant suspension. You have more than enough truck for that trailer, ample payload and power. It's just the nature of the beast. You'll get used to it after a while and won't even notice it eventually

Also, Loraura- the gear ratio in your sig should read 3.92, not 3.93. Just nitpicking

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2015, 06:15 AM   #16

Your truck is SAE J2807 compliant. I do not understand your problem...oh, you added airbags that might void the SAE J2807 compliance...ugh

That is kinda normal truck/trailer behavior. After all the truck weighs 5,000 lbs and the trailer weighs more. Again just normal tail wagging the dog.

BTW - my limit for a 1/2 ton truck is 6,000 camper and 7,500 boat...

Old 11-08-2015, 07:08 AM   #17

I just started towing w/ my tundra after going insane with all the weights and calculations. I took all these guys' advice and weighed everything at the scales, and I'm glad I did. Front axle, rear axle, actual hitch weight, etc. PITA, but I now understand my truck and TT and their limits, and that translates into peace of mind. I don't really have the lurching that you are describing...but my TT is about a thousand lbs lighter than my truck (even with both loaded). Also, we got the Equalizer e4, which is great. I installed it myself rather than dealer...I figured what better way to understand how it works.

Good luck
Old 11-08-2015, 01:25 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
I am not sure but I believe the "lurching" described is when the truck or trailer hits a bump that causes the vehicle to "slow up" momentarily.

If it is the truck that slows up the trailer will give the truck a push, if it is the trailer the truck will be pulled back. Small but makes the unit feel like it is lurching.

IMO the lurch will happen simply because of physics. How much is felt is also about physics. The larger the power unit the less effect the towed unit will have on it.

Our 5er is 18,000 and the truck is 9,000. We feel more lurch in it that we do with the coach 48,000 does from the stacker 13,000.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:04 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loraura View Post
What kind of WDH are you using?

We found quite a bit of lurching, enough to make my dog car sick, using the dealer installed (cheap) EAZ-Lift friction bar style WDH. As soon as we upgraded to a Blue Ox Sway Pro (no friction bar), the lurching was vastly improved (but not entirely eliminated depending on how rough the road is).

I do recommend going through the process of weighing the truck and trailer and insuring you are under the 1465 payload. I tow a 6K dry, 7K loaded 33 foot TT with a RAM 1500 and we must be diligent about not loading supplies in the truck, and loading heavy items near the TT axles to reduce the overall effect on payload. We do this by putting our luggage on the couch, our bikes on fork mounts on the dinette, the cooler in front of the fridge, and the groceries loaded into the fridge. This keeps our negotiable heavy items near the axels meaning the truck only has to support ~12% of their total weight rather than 100% if we kept these items in the truck while towing. Without making this effort, we exceed our payload limits (see sig for specifics).
We have an EAZ Lift 1000 hitch, installed by the dealer of course. When purchasing, a friend recommended the Equalizer E2 and we requested that one but were told that the Eaz lift was lighter and easier for 2 women to use. I am guessing they probably don't stock the hitch we requested and so we ended up with what we did. Guess we should have purchased the hitch elsewhere.

Our floorplan is such that the bedroom is in the front of the camper, fortunately there's not very much weight within a couple blankets, pillows, a clock and a space heater stashed under the bed. However the one outside storage underneath the bedroom area does house the 50 lb coleman grill and toolbox and miscellaneous items and probably more than makes up for the light weight bedroom above it. Our kitchen is in the rear of the camper, so at least all of our appliances, dishes, flatware, etc aren't weighing the front down any more than it already is.

If it's significant, we'll look into the better hitch.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:50 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelkitty View Post
We have an EAZ Lift 1000 hitch, installed by the dealer of course. When purchasing, a friend recommended the Equalizer E2 and we requested that one but were told that the Eaz lift was lighter and easier for 2 women to use. I am guessing they probably don't stock the hitch we requested and so we ended up with what we did. Guess we should have purchased the hitch elsewhere.

Our floorplan is such that the bedroom is in the front of the camper, fortunately there's not very much weight within a couple blankets, pillows, a clock and a space heater stashed under the bed. However the one outside storage underneath the bedroom area does house the 50 lb coleman grill and toolbox and miscellaneous items and probably more than makes up for the light weight bedroom above it. Our kitchen is in the rear of the camper, so at least all of our appliances, dishes, flatware, etc aren't weighing the front down any more than it already is.

If it's significant, we'll look into the better hitch.
OK, couple of things.

That EAZ-Lift friction bar style WDH is not great. It uses friction bars to try to control sway (already happening). Other, slightly more expensive brands (Blue Ox, Equalizer Reese straight line) do not use the friction sway bar. I know with the Blue Ox the technology used attempts to prevent sway from ever starting. My experience is that the Blue Ox is night and day better than the EAZ-Lift.

Now, on to the "two women" thing. I'm ONE woman... and I uninstalled the EAZ-Lift that the dealer installed, sold it on Craigslist, and installed the Blue Ox by myself. One trip to Home Depot for a torque wrench and some sockets and I was good to go. I also can hook it up and disconnect it by myself without any trouble. In my opinion the Blue Ox rocker mechanism to tension the chains is FAR FAR easier than the EAZ-Lift pry-bar method. Use the tongue jack to raise the truck up pretty high and installing/uninstalling the bars is not a chore.

Blue ox had great instructions, and an online video tutorial that made it very manageable for me to install and setup correctly for our truck/TT combination.

You should take the time to find a CAT scale so you can make adjustments to the front storage bay to insure 12-15% tongue weight. With propane, battery, spare tire (ours is mounted under the tongue), some camp chairs, a tool box, lynx blocks, a small ladder, extra water hose, etc you'd be surprised how fast the tongue weight can add up. We also have a front bedroom, but have a mid-ship kitchen.

You actually want to be careful NOT to have all your heavy items in the rear of the camper, because it will reduce the tongue weight by TOO MUCH, and a light tongue will cause sway and may contribute to the lurching you feel. You really need to hit a scale once so you can make adjustments.

If you don't have access to a CAT scale, you can buy a tongue weight scale from eTrailer.com (also, they have the better WDHs). This will not give you a percentage of the total weight of the trailer, but will allow you to move things around and see the impact on the tongue weight.

Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight Scale - 2,000-lb Capacity Sherline Tools 5780
Old 11-09-2015, 11:10 AM   #21

I found the WDH helped smooth out the lurching but will not eliminate it. The bolt idea I think is a good idea to keep the rig working as a unit but I would be worried (even torqued and with a lock washer) that it would work loose then really bad juju will happen.

I think even a real small trailer and a bigger truck would lurch with the right conditions so no good way to elimiante all lurching. There are sections of highway where the highway joints are such that either match or mis-match with the wheelbase of the rig will cause lurching.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:39 AM   #22
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Note that old threads can be replied to by checking the box at the bottom in the Old Thread Warning.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Old Thread.png
Views:	117
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	111511

Quote:
This question may be answered already - however after reading numerous pages I did a search for 'lurching' and found a thread that was 780+ days old and would not let me post there.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 12:21 PM   #23

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
When purchasing, a friend recommended the Equalizer E2 and we requested that one but were told that the Eaz lift was lighter and easier for 2 women to use.
I have an Equal-I-Zer 4 way hitch, and with an electric tongue jack, a child could hook it up after the trailer was lined up on the tow ball. If you are concerned about easy to hitch and have an electric tongue jack, you should look at the Equal-I-Zer.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:12 AM   #24
CCH

Heartland RV Club
Even the best WDH can't overcome being improperly set up.

I have a Reese Strait-Line that my dealer did an adequate job of installing, but they did not completely set it up. As a result, towing was a real adventure in pitch and yaw.

A triple pass thru a CAT scale and then follow-up passes as necessary to make sure tongue weight is in range and as the WDH is actually distributing weight to the front axle can turn a bucking bronco into an extension of the TV - at least that has been my experience. FWIW.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:35 AM   #25

Many interesting issues here. Several hit upon already by others. Here is a couple more things to think about....Rough roads are a pain, you have a big load hooked up to the extreme rear end of your vehicle -- any bounce or jolt to the trailer is going to be amplified onto your truck, thus "lurching." Being alert while driving and slowing down when bumps are coming up will reduce severe jolts.

If your truck is truly rated for 10k towing (just because one 1/2 ton is rated that much, doesn't mean all are -- depends on engine, tranny, cooling, hitch, etc.), then you should have no problems with that trailer! I have a Minnie, also (albeit a bit smaller), that has a dry weight of 3840#....I used it nearly every weekend June-October this year using a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk as a TV. It has a shorter wheelbase and a 4500# max tow rating. I had NO problems towing with it whatsoever.....no airbags, either -- I think a salesman "took" ya on that. My dad towed with half-tons for years (travel trailers and farm implements) without airbags.....

You have many variables that may be to blame, or it may just be driving habits or not knowing what towing "feels like." I hope your friend can see what you think is abnormal/uncomfortable!

Be sure to come check out the Minnie thread, it has many pages of Winnebago Minnie hints, tips, and thoughts! I love our 2101FBS and think you will enjoy yours, too!

Stan
ampmtnbkr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 07:31 PM   #26

Just bought my first travel trailer! Literally, today. Give me some suggestions on what I need to buy to make life easier: water, sewer connections, etc. I would appreciate any help. Thank you.

2016 Forrest River Flagstaff 26 RWLS
Old 12-21-2015, 08:03 PM   #27

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenellJ View Post
Just bought my first travel trailer! Literally, today.
Conga rats! How about you start by telling us what you already have for the trailer?

Hitch?
What is the Tow Vehicle (TV)?
What kind of traveling do you plan on doing?
Old 12-21-2015, 08:57 PM   #28

That truck and trailer should play well together. Most likely the dealer didn't set it up right. You need to weigh the front and back axles so you can set the WDH. It is possible to remove all the tongue weight by applying more tension on the hitch. Proper tongue weight is the key.

Tags
towing, tow