Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-30-2013, 07:12 AM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 97
Seems the light duty truck market has really had a lot of advances lately. You folks have pointed out some interesting facts. Well appreciated....
__________________

__________________
Stan827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2013, 08:05 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
There really are not that many sensors on any Ecoboost engine when compared to normally aspirated engines. The biggest difference with earlier versions is they use several MAP sensors to monitor boost levels. But, they are all compared to each other to determine if they are within calibration limits prior to a failure. Some of the newer versions when back to the MAF instead. Nothing scary going on with these engine lines as far as sensors are concerned. Like I said, everything must be within calibration limits and if something goes to far out, the engine will failsafe or if a failsafe is not needed just a check engine light.
Well i know for a fact that the ecoboost f150 is exhibiting acceleration and studdering problems from many truck owners. Ford can't seem to lock down the cause and issue a technical service bulletin that works. Like i said, when an engine is designed to that extreme, any variables added in will cause problems. Plus as the engine gets older, turbos will need replacing.
__________________

__________________
gggplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:18 AM   #17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by gggplaya View Post
Well i know for a fact that the ecoboost f150 is exhibiting acceleration and studdering problems from many truck owners. Ford can't seem to lock down the cause and issue a technical service bulletin that works. Like i said, when an engine is designed to that extreme, any variables added in will cause problems. Plus as the engine gets older, turbos will need replacing.
I would love to know where you get these facts. Since you know for a "FACT", you can explain the actual numbers that are involved. How old does a turbo need to be before it needs replaced. Turbos with properly maintained vehicles have no problems going several hundred miles. I would also like to know the actual statistics on this also since you know for a "FACT". Please enlighten all of us here.
__________________
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:11 PM   #18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post

I would love to know where you get these facts. Since you know for a "FACT", you can explain the actual numbers that are involved. How old does a turbo need to be before it needs replaced. Turbos with properly maintained vehicles have no problems going several hundred miles. I would also like to know the actual statistics on this also since you know for a "FACT". Please enlighten all of us here.
I'm pretty active on F150 forum and there are a few guys over there with the shutter/hesitation issue, but it seemd like they are the vocal minority (I can't blame then for being upset as I would be if it were my truck).

In my opinion and experience, if properly maintained, you're truck is more apt to have a major component other then the turbos fail over the life of the vehicle. This is far from a new technology and does have a long track record of durability (although obviously more common in the diesel world then in gassers).

On to the topic. I love my 2011 eco boost too but as others have said you really can't go wrong with a PROPERLY EQUIPPED modern half ton from any of the manufacturers for the trailer you are considering.

That said, love my eco torque curve! Btw, I tow a 10,000 lb wet and loaded fiver without a hiccup. I have max tow and payload and yes, I'm slightly overloaded (rawr). 4,500+ trouble free towing miles with the fiver plus another 2,000+ with my flatbed and various cars, tractors, materials and landscape equipment on it.
__________________
jjm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:04 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
I would love to know where you get these facts. Since you know for a "FACT", you can explain the actual numbers that are involved. How old does a turbo need to be before it needs replaced. Turbos with properly maintained vehicles have no problems going several hundred miles. I would also like to know the actual statistics on this also since you know for a "FACT". Please enlighten all of us here.
the information is from the NHTSA. They are launching an investigation into the problem and the NHTSA doesn't officially announce they're launching an investigation unless there is a large trend of repairs and complaints of the same problem. Ecoboost was only launched in 2011 and is already having an investigation. Time and more miles will tell more.

As for how long turbo's last, it all really depends. I've seen some as high as 300k miles, but that's rare, and i've seen some die at 80kmiles. Most typically seem to average around 150k miles. I've seen many at around this mileage which operate mostly fine, but are in need of maintenance or rebuild. These are gas engines(VW,Audi,Subaru,Saab,Mazda) which have a much hotter exhaust output than diesels. And of course, oil changes are crucial as they share the engine oil, and if your oil is old and watery, it won't lubricate as well and wear will occur. Diesels have lower exhaust temperature duty cycles which inherently seem to last longer, although some are tuned in a way that produces too much soot and clogs the variable vane system.

The point is, the further away you get from KISS principle, the more points of failure you have. The more complex the system, the more everything has to work right, and if something isnt operating within spec, the worse it is because the issue is multiplied through the complexity(extra dependencies) of the system. This can make things harder to diagnose as well.
__________________
gggplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:40 PM   #20
Member
 
Barefoot68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 50
If you are hauling a 10000 loaded 5 er with 1/2 ton ford would like more information on your rig. That way i can make sure I'm not depending on you being able to stop if I am in front of you. You are more than slightly overloaded, to many like you on the road
__________________
Barefoot68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #21
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by gggplaya View Post
the information is from the NHTSA. They are launching an investigation into the problem and the NHTSA doesn't officially announce they're launching an investigation unless there is a large trend of repairs and complaints of the same problem. Ecoboost was only launched in 2011 and is already having an investigation. Time and more miles will tell more.

As for how long turbo's last, it all really depends. I've seen some as high as 300k miles, but that's rare, and i've seen some die at 80kmiles. Most typically seem to average around 150k miles. I've seen many at around this mileage which operate mostly fine, but are in need of maintenance or rebuild. These are gas engines(VW,Audi,Subaru,Saab,Mazda) which have a much hotter exhaust output than diesels. And of course, oil changes are crucial as they share the engine oil, and if your oil is old and watery, it won't lubricate as well and wear will occur. Diesels have lower exhaust temperature duty cycles which inherently seem to last longer, although some are tuned in a way that produces too much soot and clogs the variable vane system.

The point is, the further away you get from KISS principle, the more points of failure you have. The more complex the system, the more everything has to work right, and if something isnt operating within spec, the worse it is because the issue is multiplied through the complexity(extra dependencies) of the system. This can make things harder to diagnose as well.
Im not sure what you mean by "large trend" NHTSA investigates Jeep Wrangler and Chevrolet Cruze for potential engine fires - Autoweek as these complaints are 10 and 2. From what I can tell there is a total of 95 complaints out of 400,000 trucks about what you are talking about. Also, consumer reports also does not show a "large trend" either. However, Ford is looking into some of these concerns and has a newer TSB out for the intercooler and adding a baffle. Looks like they are trying to keep more heat in the intercooler. The explanation I have been given is there is moisture build up from lack of heavy throttle accelerations. Then when it is needed, the moisture will then get pushed into the intake and cause a slight stumble. Never experienced to determine the amount of stumble but some customers barely notice it but detect something is different.

Unfortunately the days of KISS is no longer. The emissions and fuel standards are here to stay and get worse. Technology is here to stay. So is variable valve timing, direct fuel injection, turbo charging and supercharging, etc. Those that fear it just argue that it is voodoo. Myself I embrace this stuff and have no problems learning it. Diag is very easy, at least to me. In fact Ford has one of the best diagnostic tools out there that aid techs in accurate diag. A huge flood of information at our finger tips. Just have to know how to use it. But I also enjoy a good puzzler also. Never had an issue figuring something out though. I guess the simplest is the horse and buggy. Not much to go wrong there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	23
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	43321  
__________________
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:44 PM   #22
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot68 View Post
If you are hauling a 10000 loaded 5 er with 1/2 ton ford would like more information on your rig. That way i can make sure I'm not depending on you being able to stop if I am in front of you. You are more than slightly overloaded, to many like you on the road
I have my rig weighed twice in the two years I have owned it and know my numbers and weights better then 95% of the RVs out there thank you very much. Too many know it all's on the road. I agree, I hope to never see you on the road either.
__________________
jjm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:47 PM   #23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjm1024 View Post
I'm pretty active on F150 forum and there are a few guys over there with the shutter/hesitation issue, but it seemd like they are the vocal minority (I can't blame then for being upset as I would be if it were my truck).

In my opinion and experience, if properly maintained, you're truck is more apt to have a major component other then the turbos fail over the life of the vehicle. This is far from a new technology and does have a long track record of durability (although obviously more common in the diesel world then in gassers).

On to the topic. I love my 2011 eco boost too but as others have said you really can't go wrong with a PROPERLY EQUIPPED modern half ton from any of the manufacturers for the trailer you are considering.

That said, love my eco torque curve! Btw, I tow a 10,000 lb wet and loaded fiver without a hiccup. I have max tow and payload and yes, I'm slightly overloaded (rawr). 4,500+ trouble free towing miles with the fiver plus another 2,000+ with my flatbed and various cars, tractors, materials and landscape equipment on it.
Do you know how many of those are a take off shudder issue. 2011's and early 2012's seemed to be the worse and most of it has been deemed characteristic. I have noticed it and at Ford we have a video of the axle when the shudder occurs. Personally I don't feel it is acceptable but in the end engineers call most of the shots and they say it is characteristic if it is comparable to like units. In mid Jan of 2012 there have been some frame design changes and drive shaft changes that reduce this. After driving a newer truck it is much better even though some is still there.

Stiffer rear springs cure the issue but affects ride quality and many of the owners still want that plush ride. Me, it is a truck and should ride like a truck. But I also had a 12 second Lightning that was lowered 1" and handled very well for what it was.
__________________
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:50 PM   #24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot68 View Post
If you are hauling a 10000 loaded 5 er with 1/2 ton ford would like more information on your rig. That way i can make sure I'm not depending on you being able to stop if I am in front of you. You are more than slightly overloaded, to many like you on the road
Isnt operational trailer brakes needed?
__________________
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:01 PM   #25
Member
 
Barefoot68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 50
Have an accident and good trailer brakes are not going to save you. Your first obligation is to make sure your rig is legal. Your truck is Overloaded regardless of what you think. Brakes on most trailers out there are under rated for the job just like your f150 is underrated for the job you are using it for.
__________________
Barefoot68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:27 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
caissiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjm1024 View Post

I have my rig weighed twice in the two years I have owned it and know my numbers and weights better then 95% of the RVs out there thank you very much. Too many know it all's on the road. I agree, I hope to never see you on the road either.
Well said
__________________
Barbara and Laurent, Hartland Big Country 3500RL. 39 ft long and 15500 GVW.
2005 Ford F250 SD, XL F250 4x4, Long Box, 6.0L Diesel, 6 Speed Stick, Hypertech Max Energy for Fuel mileage of 21 MPusG empty, 12.6 MPusG pulling the BC. ScangaugeII for display..
caissiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #27
Registered User
 
KSCRUDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The Land Of Oz RVM17
Posts: 1,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot68 View Post
If you are hauling a 10000 loaded 5 er with 1/2 ton ford would like more information on your rig. That way i can make sure I'm not depending on you being able to stop if I am in front of you. You are more than slightly overloaded, to many like you on the road
The trailer tow limit is 11,500 on a properly equipped Ford half ton F150 with only the Ecoboost and the 6.2 V8. I have drove them all and the Ecoboost is very diesel like in driving manners. Just got a new 6.2 gas F250 3 weeks ago with 4.30 gears and it pulls great. Amd has a tow rating of 15,000 pounds. Our little toad with the 2.0 Ecoboost drives with more spunk then our V8 expedition. I have a 14 Shelby Raptor on order with a supercharged 575 HP 6.2 engine and 4.10 gears. Would love to have 4.30 or 4.56 gears but that is not a option. For all you non believers GM, DC Motors has just come out with their own Ecoboost 3.6 engine and it puts out a little moe HP and torque the the Ford one. It will be in many of their trucks and SUVs before long. Tired of Ford eating their lunch I guess. Forced induction is the way of the future. Been using it on diesel trucks for over fifty years. More power and better fuel economy.
__________________
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:37 PM   #28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
The trailer tow limit is 11,500 on a properly equipped Ford half ton F150 with only the Ecoboost and the 6.2 V8. I have drove them all and the Ecoboost is very diesel like in driving manners. Just got a new 6.2 gas F250 3 weeks ago with 4.30 gears and it pulls great. Amd has a tow rating of 15,000 pounds. Our little toad with the 2.0 Ecoboost drives with more spunk then our V8 expedition. I have a 14 Shelby Raptor on order with a supercharged 575 HP 6.2 engine and 4.10 gears. Would love to have 4.30 or 4.56 gears but that is not a option. For all you non believers GM, DC Motors has just come out with their own Ecoboost 3.6 engine and it puts out a little moe HP and torque the the Ford one. It will be in many of their trucks and SUVs before long. Tired of Ford eating their lunch I guess. Forced induction is the way of the future. Been using it on diesel trucks for over fifty years. More power and better fuel economy.
How is the fuel economy of the 6.2 towing. Have a few customers around here that really like the engine but I don't think they tow with it. Always wondered how it was towing. The last one I drove was empty of course but the power was pretty good. Also drove one for work for a week and the empty economy was mid teens I believe.

BTW what is DC motors?
__________________

__________________
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.