Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2014, 11:21 AM   #1

New truck

we just bought a new 39ft fifth wheel, need info on a new truck, I'm a dodge person and will get a 3500, my question is long bed vs short bed, who has any ideals, plus and minuses, GO....
Paul camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2014, 12:54 PM   #2

I have a 12 Ram CC LB and wouldn't have it any other way. If you are comfortable driving a LB around then IMO don't waste the money on a slider hitch. This is my 1st LB and after having a Ranger, Frontier, two F150's with those having a 6.5 and 5.5 beds I absolutely love the LB. It also gives me about 45" of usable space from the cab to the 5th hitch. With a SB you would lose 17" so you would only have 28" of space.
Only cons are the LB takes a bit more to turn in parking lots and it's sometimes tougher to fit into a parking spot. I can't comment on if a LB tows all that much better than a SB. A 5th wheel tows so nice I really doubt that you would notice the difference.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:02 PM   #3

Here is a link to the Ram Body Builders web site; http://www.rambodybuilder.com/2014/d...ammlup3500.pdf

This link will provide the required information you will need to make an informed decision on what model of truck you will need.

If you have not purchased one yet and can look around for a 14 I would buy the AISIN transmission for your towing needs.

My next truck will be a 3500SRW with the 6.7L Cummins and the AISIN transmission; this will more than adequately met my needs for towing the 5er my DW wants next.

Jim W.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
Here is a link to the Ram Body Builders web site; http://www.rambodybuilder.com/2014/d...ammlup3500.pdf

This link will provide the required information you will need to make an informed decision on what model of truck you will need.

If you have not purchased one yet and can look around for a 14 I would buy the AISIN transmission for your towing needs.

My next truck will be a 3500SRW with the 6.7L Cummins and the AISIN transmission; this will more than adequately met my needs for towing the 5er my DW wants next.

Jim W.
Did Dodge clear the back log for the SRW Trucks for ordering the AISIN. Last i heard SRW Trucks were on hold. You could get the AISIN with a Dually i heard. Just trying to find out if they fixed the back log problem.
Scott
Old 08-20-2014, 02:24 PM   #5

That's one of the main reason i have a short bed is because of their short turn radius and parking availability, it doesn't sound so far a long bed does any more than a short bed except with the short bed you should get a automatic slide hitch.
Paul camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:49 PM   #6

I'm driving your truck. '14 RAM 3500 DRW Aisin CTD LB. Been driving LB's for 30 years. The worst situation is that you might have to straighten it out (pulling forward). The added versatility to me is worth it.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:53 PM   #7

You didn't say which cab length you were going. The long wheelbase will ride better than the SWB, and it's more stable when towing.

But it's drawback is in backing in trailers, and general maneuverability in tight spaces.

I have a 3/4 ton SuperDuty crew cab with the 6 3/4' bed, and it does me a good job. When I hit a parking lot, I've been known to just flop into two parking spaces when other spaces are available. Backing up gets a little dangerous, and I'm not a perfectionist when it comes to parking.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty14 View Post
Did Dodge clear the back log for the SRW Trucks for ordering the AISIN. Last i heard SRW Trucks were on hold. You could get the AISIN with a Dually i heard. Just trying to find out if they fixed the back log problem.
Scott
I have done a search in the recent past on the Ram truck site at the bottom they list vehicles; you click on the 3500 model at the bottom of this page you can click on search inventory. You than edit your preference on the LH side you will than need to search the vehicle specs at the bottom. Several came up as AISIN transmission others with the 68RFE. I check the torque and HP numbers to insure it is an AISIN.
This was in a 200 hundred mile radius for me.

Jim W.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:03 AM   #9
IC2

Within the past few months I just moved from a CCSB to a CCLB. I have to say that was a great upgrade for me. I no longer have to worry about 'punching out' the rear window, the ride is sooooo much less choppy and when I pull that B&W hitch out, I can fill the bed full of 8' lumber and close the tailgate. One drawback - tight parking lots and mini lined spaces for econobox cars. You learn that you park in the last row and get some exercise. I did learn a couple nights ago that a LB can actually be parallel parked too.

As far as brand name - all three have their pluses and not so pluses but currently I believe Dodge bedsides are very high and may be a problem setting up your hitch. Slider hitches - your better off with a long bed IMO
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:45 PM   #10

If you want to use your TRUCK for anything other than a "grocery getter" then get a Standard/Long bed.

Oh yea don't forget the factory 5er prep and buy the B&W RVK 3600 rated at 25K and 6,250# pin weight.

The best of both worlds.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:54 AM   #11

I think short beds are cute but I haul stuff, so long bed here.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:13 PM   #12

I went with a SRW LB.... Decided on the SRW to get better fuel and ease of living in a urban area.. I look for parking ease in tighter areas but a general rule for me is I just drive towards the back of the parking and take two spots without trying to go closer... Worth it
Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:13 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I thought I herd something about Ram doing the Mega cab in the long bed. Now that would be a beast. Might as well ad 4x4 and duals.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
I thought I herd something about Ram doing the Mega cab in the long bed. Now that would be a beast. Might as well ad 4x4 and duals.

Longhauler is a concept truck.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote