Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2018, 05:41 PM   #1

New Truck Question

I currently have a Mesa Ridge 40' Bunkhouse. I am looking at purchasing a new truck and wanting your opinions. I am pulling rig currently with a 2014 Dodge Ram 3500 4WD Mega Cab single rear wheel. With a diesel motor.

I am looking at getting a 2018 Dodge Ram 3500 4WD Mega Cab, Diesel. But what I cant decide is if I should go with single or dual rear wheels. And should I upgrade to the aisin transmission or stick with the regular transmission.

So bottom line single or dual rear wheels and what transmission do y'all recommend.

Thanks in advance
rymer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2018, 06:07 PM   #2

Grand Design Owners Club
Definitely go with the transmission upgrade. Kinda pricey but tows great. You gain torque and better gear ratios. As to rear I would go dually. If RV gross weight over about 16k you will probably need it to be within payload.
cfowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:30 PM   #3

Asian dually. You will never regret the additional cost.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Asian dually. You will never regret the additional cost.
This. Do it!

Ken
Old 04-26-2018, 10:02 AM   #5

Do believe you will need the dually. I do hate them though.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 02:58 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rymer23 View Post
I currently have a Mesa Ridge 40' Bunkhouse.
Sounds like a model 374BHS fifth wheel RV that tis 39'8" long, with GVWR of 16,470.

Quote:
I am looking at getting a 2018 Dodge Ram 3500 4WD Mega Cab, Diesel. But what I cant decide is if I should go with single or dual rear wheels.
If you load the trailer to anywhere near the GVWR of the trailer, you'll exceed the payload capacity of am SRW Ram. So DRW is the only safe choice.

Quote:
And should I upgrade to the aisin transmission or stick with the regular transmission.
I'm not one of the Dodge Boys, so I don't keep up with Dodge specifics. But from all I've read on this website, if you're going to buy a new Ram diesel tow vehicle, you want the Aisin tranny. The "regular" automatic Ram tranny is for grocery getter duty, not for heavy towing.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:59 PM   #7

I'm not a Dodge guy, so I can't speak for the transmission, but you will never regret having a dually for towing over a SRW. I had both with a 39' 5th wheel. The SRW would tow it as most of the diesels will, but the stability and payload capacity is what you will love.