Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2012, 11:24 PM   #15

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
rvforfun,
I set the ride height to where I wanted it, the limitation is the minumum heigth of the airbags themselves, it has electronic ride height, and you can set it to where you want, within limits. the truck sits pretty close to level, front to rear. This kit replaces the leaf springs all together.
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2012, 12:41 AM   #16

Frank
This sounds good. So the kit replaces the springs altogether. Give me a little more info on the kit. Did you install the kit yourself? Where did you get the kit and what is the name of it? I think my truck would be pretty close to level too as would the trailer if I could do what you did.
One thing with the springs on my truck, they have a bolt that goes through all five leafs from a plate welded just above the axle. This will make it harder to remove the springs, but I could cut it off. My old truck didn't have this, it just had a nub. I changed out the rear end from a 3.25 I think it was to a 4.11 and put in a Gear
Vender over/under drive. What a difference that made.
Back to the kit, any info and hints for install would be great.
rvforfun

Old 06-24-2012, 04:00 PM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
rvforfun,
It is called road tamer from airlift, I am not sure that they have this kit anymore, but there are other companys that make an airride kit. yes I installed it myself, only a few holes to drill, for the track bar. It took me abour 4 to 6 hours, but I didn't hurry and took it over a couple days. Most springs will come off if you remove the u bolts and the hanger bolts. The front hanger bolt will have to be cut, because the fuel tank is in the way. The center bolt should be just sitting on that plate, or I should say sitting in a cut out in the plate. If you do a search on airride kits you should get a number of them, or I think an airlift rep posts on this forum, you can send him a pm and ask him if they still make the road tamer kit. I got mine at summit racing, it is only abot 30 miles from home. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:56 PM   #18

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvforfun View Post
I just bought a new 2012 Chevy 2500 HD pickup It is great with one exception, the bed is too high for towing the fifth wheel. The front of the fifth wheel is about 4 inches too high from level. I cannot adjust the hitch down or the trailer will not clear the rails of the bed. It seems that the other late model trucks would have this same problem. I am thinking of removing the overload leaf spring and one or two more leafs, leaving 2 leaf springs and adding air bags. Is this a good idea? Has anyone else had this problem and if so, what was your solution? If I could lower the truck 2 or 3 inches, I could lower the hitch 1 inch and I would have it made. There is plenty of clearance under the truck for this.
Get a lowering kit from the dealer.