Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2014, 09:03 PM   #1

Jayco Owners Club
New TV

My new Ram 2500 diesel should be here by Wednesday. I've been a Ford guy for a long time, but I'm buyin' Mopar this trip. I liked both about equally but I waited too long to find a '14 Ford that wasn't stripped. The '15 Fords won't be discounted for quite a while and my current truck isn't getting more valuable. I'm getting a pretty screamin' deal on the Ram so that made me decide to jump off Ford's ship.

I doubt the new truck will have much trouble pulling my 6,200# (loaded) trailer. In a couple of years, I'll be trading my TT for one that's a touch bigger and has opposing slides, an outdoor kitchen, and a bunk house. I don't really want to go over about 10,000# loaded, though. I think the truck would handle it up to about 12,000 but not for my comfort level.

schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2014, 12:42 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You're going to love that truck. I just completed a 3 week, 3200 mile trip from So Cal to all over Oregon. Quiet, power, exhaust brake, 6 speed trans, Sat radio, and on the list goes. You will have the DEF but don't worry it's no big deal. I have had zero issues and no CEL's. I even ran the thing out of fuel in the middle of no where just to check the accuracy of the fuel gauge and try to get a CEL. The fuel gauge is very accurate with no fuel when it says low fuel. My TT is 6900 empty and probably 8K loaded, I can do any speed I want on any grade. Sounds like you got it loaded. Mine is like a S class wrapped up in a 4x4 truck. Enjoy it!

Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:34 PM   #3

Jayco Owners Club
Mine is just an SLT crew cab(Lone Star version) with cloth buckets, but they're going to be heated... And... so's the steering wheel. That's kind of funny to a Texan... I could have gone to a higher trim level, but I don't see putting toddlers on leather seats. Four years ago I had no grand children, and now I have 6! That's why the Grammy and PapaJack team decided to upgrade. We're going to upgrade the trailer in a couple of years, and start taking the little monsters on trips... Uh... wait a minute... Haven't I already been through all of that?

Thanks for the kind wishes...
Old 07-07-2014, 02:57 PM   #4

I did the same thing in January. I'm Ford guy and was indiferent between the Ram 2500 and F250. My deal was seating for 6 and leather were manditory. Difficult combination to find and got best deal from Ram. My TT is about 8K in travel mode. I've done two long trips since January (Chicago to Grand Canyon and Chicago to Yellowstone)- MPG~11. Delighted with the truck. I spoil the familyand pay for in cab wifi when we do the road trips. Two things I liked on the F250 that I wished I had on Ram was the power mirrors and quiter engine (some times have to turn off to use drive through). Only grips on the Ram is its too tall (this may be the case for all 3/4 4x4 trucks) and the doors hinges don't hold the doors. But truck is a champ when pulling a load.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugghead View Post
I did the same thing in January. I'm Ford guy and was indiferent between the Ram 2500 and F250. My deal was seating for 6 and leather were manditory. Difficult combination to find and got best deal from Ram. My TT is about 8K in travel mode. I've done two long trips since January (Chicago to Grand Canyon and Chicago to Yellowstone)- MPG~11. Delighted with the truck. I spoil the familyand pay for in cab wifi when we do the road trips. Two things I liked on the F250 that I wished I had on Ram was the power mirrors and quiter engine (some times have to turn off to use drive through). Only grips on the Ram is its too tall (this may be the case for all 3/4 4x4 trucks) and the doors hinges don't hold the doors. But truck is a champ when pulling a load.
How much does the wifi cost per trip??

You'll love the truck though, it seems all the trucks are in the 800ft-lbs range these days, so pulling is like nothing for modern diesels. I think ram had a reputation for great engine(cummins), but lousy chasis/body, but i really think they stepped it up in the latest generation to complete the package. We have a fleet of 2010+ ram service trucks, we used to order only fords. But because of all the problems we had with the ford engines, we decided to move to ram. So far, haven't had a single issue with the cummins. On the 2010's, some of the door handle covers pulled off, but some crazy glue fixed that. The newer ones changed that interior flaw, haven't had any issues since. Some of our trucks are pushing 100k miles now, we're much happier than we were with the fords.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:05 PM   #6

Jayco Owners Club
Tomorrow at about 10:00... I'll be drivin' it off the lot... and it'll be going down in value INSTANTLY...
Old 07-09-2014, 08:18 PM   #7

Jayco Owners Club
Got it... Like it!
Old 07-09-2014, 08:45 PM   #8

Congrats on the new ride. I love the new rams. You can't beat the price of them compared to the other big brands. I have a 2012 ram 2500 mega cab now and love it. I've driven ram (dodge) since late 90's and have always had great service out of them. Good luck with it.

Chad
Old 07-10-2014, 10:32 AM   #9

WIFI is $10/day or $20/week or $30/month. The latter isn't too extravagent, and its fast enough people in the truck and watch a netflick on the ipad.

Another fun thing is remote starting from the iphone. In the winter time I start truck remotly when I leave the office and by time I get down 5 flights of stairs and walked through the parking lot the diesel is warmed up and the electric seats activated. It does take a longer time to get that big old diesel to blow warm air in the winter than a gas engine.