Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2010, 08:10 AM   #1

New TV

The wife and I have decided that it is time for a new tow vehicle. I have started looking and I have found some good deals on RW drive trucks. I have had 4WD vehicles for years and that is what I am looking for now, however the prices for some of these rear wheel models have me thinking. So I was wondering what the thouhgts were on 4WD versus 2WD on a tow vehicle.

Thanks and have a great day!
ffmd212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2010, 08:47 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
How about AWD?? I tow a 2009 Lincoln MKX and am real happy with it. All you have to do is start it up, put it in neutral, and shut it off. This allows the steering wheel to be free to turn. No fuses, drive shaft issues, or anything else!!! Ford has improved it's use as toads; you might like what you see.
JBroadaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:52 PM   #3
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBroadaway View Post
How about AWD?? I tow a 2009 Lincoln MKX and am real happy with it. All you have to do is start it up, put it in neutral, and shut it off. This allows the steering wheel to be free to turn. No fuses, drive shaft issues, or anything else!!! Ford has improved it's use as toads; you might like what you see.
It appears to me that the OP is talking about a tow vehicle not a toad.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:12 PM   #4

I prefer 4x4 for several reasons: Still live in snow country and need 4x4 to get home some of the time, and I use 4W Low Range for backing the Montana. Can idle into almost any spot without reving the engine and lurching backwards, much better control at an idle.
2018 Silverado 3500HD High Country Dually 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, Sailun 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:45 PM   #5

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I had a 2WD 1996 Ford F-250 Heavy-Duty with a PowerStroke diesel when I bought my 2000 Jayco TT. While the truck did a commendable job at towing, even with a limited slip differential I sometimes had traction problems in wet weather at campgrounds that were not paved. It was especially bad in muddy conditions. I haven't had any of these issues so far with my 2009 GMC which is the first 4WD truck I've owned.

A 2WD truck will generally get slightly better fuel mileage. But, you'll probably take a hit at trade-in time because 4WD trucks are more desirable.

Whether you to go with a 2WD or 4WD, I would recommend that it have a limited slip or locking rear differential. When empty, pickup trucks are so light in the rear, they need all the help they can get in the traction department. It's extremely easy to break traction with the power plants in today's trucks and handling can become squirrelly under adverse conditions. Of course, since you've already owned 4WD trucks, I'm sure I'm not telling you anything new here.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:59 PM   #6

Have to ask yourself, how many times have you actually needed 4X4 when towing a trailer?
Most people if honest would say never or once in the last XX years. I had 4X4's for many years, but this Dodge is a 4X2 and I don't miss the extra weight/cost one bit on this TV.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:13 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have now owned two 4x4 tow vehicles- a 99 Tahoe and my 07 2500HD Silverado. I have not used my 4wd while towing- however I use it often when camping and driving off road - I love to drive on the beach and my favorite access point almost begs for 4wd (there is even a warning sign to that effect) Depending on the sand conditions I can use only 2wd once on the beach - but most of the time 4wd is necessary. I also live in an area where we get some snow on occasion. In the winter of 08-09 the truck stayed in 4wd for almost 3 weeks and got my wife around on her job as a home health nurse during one of the worst bouts of snow the PDX area had seen in years. Years ago I went camping at an off the road campground that was nothing but a mud hole - sank the TT to the rims and almost got the S10 stuck too. That was probably the only time while towing I have wished for 4wd.

Locking diffs are std equp with GM towing packages (2 or 4wd) not sure about Ford - Dodge is now offering locking front diffs now. The Nov issue of Popular Mechanics has a test on all three and the Nov issue of Motor Trend has an SUV and PU buyers guide. As for using low range for backing I think that only Ford and Dodge with solid front axles can do this without causing binding - I know that my truck says not to use low range unless you are mired in mud or deep sand or snow.

As far as resale value that depends alot on your market. Now if your "good deals" are on new rigs on dealers lots then it tells me that 2wd is not that popular and resale value could also suffer.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD View Post
It appears to me that the OP is talking about a tow vehicle not a toad.
Yes, sorry I am asking about a towing vehicle for a TT,
Old 10-09-2010, 06:11 AM   #9

Thanks for all the great input, that helps alot, but now I have another question. My TT is a 31 foot 2003 Celebrity. Weight per the label is just over 8000 pounds. This is a dry weight, so with supplies and gear I am close to 9000. I know this is too much for my 1500 suburban, so I have been looking for a 3/4 ton. As I have been shopping I have looked at the suggested towing capacity for both a 3/4, and 1 ton GMC and both are rated at 5000 pound towing. Is this right?? This of course was on the NADA site so I understand it may not be accurate.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:03 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Any GM Dealer should be able to show you, in a book, what each vehicle is rated at for towing. Ask them to show it to you. If they don;t have a book, walk away. This is what I did on my last trk purchase and that was in 1998. The trks are rated for trailer and 5th wheel. Do not listen to what they say, have them show you the book, they have one. This is not the owners manual.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:06 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
One more word of advice, get factory steel wheels, not flashy pretty wheels, been there, done that.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:30 AM   #12

Because of vehicle weights, and engine choices, you may not find any SUV capable of handling your trailer. yea, I know your current 1/2 ton Burb is doing it, but by your question I am guessing you realize it is not really up to the task.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:20 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Go to Select Vehicle - Online Ordering Guide Here is a complete ordering guide for the 2011 Chevy Trucks - Press the PRINT BOOKS and then Select the vehicle type "2500HD"
then select the sections you want to look at. Selecting Print Model will print all sections.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Because of vehicle weights, and engine choices, you may not find any SUV capable of handling your trailer. yea, I know your current 1/2 ton Burb is doing it, but by your question I am guessing you realize it is not really up to the task.
Yes after two trips I know I need something a little bigger, which I now have.