Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2015, 09:06 PM   #29

Texas Boomers Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
FOllow up on TV

I have been out pounding lots and dealership and have narrowed search to a 2013 Silverado 2500 Z71 and 2012 Ford King Ranch F250. I have a read a lot of reviews and the Ford turbo diesel does have a number of sites with complaints about it. The Chevy is more neutral on reviews. Ford also has a lot of die hard fans,

Chevy 38K mi and the Ford 74K mi. Both within the same price range. Ford + is that it is set up for a 5th wheel already which I will go to in 2-3 yrs.

Chevy comes with 2 yr free service from the dealership.

Both should easily handle my 31ft TT tou hauler.

Thanks for all the comments, very helpful

GOBB
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2015, 11:33 AM   #30

I would take the GM with the Allison tranny and less miles.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:06 PM   #31

Agreed with going with the duramax... I believe that was one of the first years for the Ford 6.7L diesel which I have heard mixed reviews on... Duramax is better in my opinion (as a Cummins owner)
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:04 PM   #32

No brand loyalty here. As stated in earlier post, just went from Ram to Ford. But based on the info you gave, the Chevy sounds like the best deal. With that said the f250 that I just got is the king ranch too and it is pretty sweet. For the f250, if you go that route, get an Oasis service report on it. The reason I went ahead with mine is it had zero warranty work on the Oasis done at any ford dealership. I also took it to a nearby Ford dealer for a full inspection. Once I get the backup sensor fixed (being done by seller), despite current mileage over 65,000, it is eligible for up to 4 yrs/48k genuine Ford warranty which I will be getting for my own piece of mind (first diesel).

Re: gripes on Ford websites, I'd say overall my read is that based on the number of fords on the road the number of complaints is pretty small. Most of them, IMHO, are from guys that do crazy things to their trucks in the interest of fuel economy, power, and/or wow factor. Not something I'll be doing.
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 03:00 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by purduepete97 View Post
No brand loyalty here. As stated in earlier post, just went from Ram to Ford. But based on the info you gave, the Chevy sounds like the best deal. With that said the f250 that I just got is the king ranch too and it is pretty sweet. For the f250, if you go that route, get an Oasis service report on it. The reason I went ahead with mine is it had zero warranty work on the Oasis done at any ford dealership. I also took it to a nearby Ford dealer for a full inspection. Once I get the backup sensor fixed (being done by seller), despite current mileage over 65,000, it is eligible for up to 4 yrs/48k genuine Ford warranty which I will be getting for my own piece of mind (first diesel).

Re: gripes on Ford websites, I'd say overall my read is that based on the number of fords on the road the number of complaints is pretty small. Most of them, IMHO, are from guys that do crazy things to their trucks in the interest of fuel economy, power, and/or wow factor. Not something I'll be doing.
I agree, modifying any engine by trying to out engineer the company engineers is a folly. Cummins says their engines are designed to run a million miles before a major overhaul(except B series, which is 350,000), but when the HP is increased much, the overhaul schedule decreases about half to 2/3. A nephew bombed his CTD Dodge truck, then had to overhaul the engine at 80,xxx miles to replace pistons, etc.That came after replacing the tranny for $8,xxx +dollars.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 04:49 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I agree, modifying any engine by trying to out engineer the company engineers is a folly. Cummins says their engines are designed to run a million miles before a major overhaul(except B series, which is 350,000), but when the HP is increased much, the overhaul schedule decreases about half to 2/3. A nephew bombed his CTD Dodge truck, then had to overhaul the engine at 80,xxx miles to replace pistons, etc.That came after replacing the tranny for $8,xxx +dollars.
When you say modify, you are talking about increasing HP, right?

I run a mild tune on my otherwise stock CTD mainly because it enables me to delete the DPF and EGR. It is already the high output engine with 800+ ftbls when stock, so really does not need more power.
However, the deletes increase mpg by 10-20%, reduce exhaust gas temps and stop the insane recirculation of exhaust gas (soot) back into the engine. This alone will increase the service life and eliminate all the emissions related maintenance.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:20 PM   #35

Quote:

Note: My Cummins is, and will remain, completely stock.. That said.. I believe their to be much more to this story... You don't just plug in an Edge or Smarty tuner on a Cummins and burn up pistons in 80K... There had to be some severe neglect (maybe on a race tune towing up hill?) or other conditions at play here like an injector hung open and melted a piston. These Cummins B motors are proven to be daily driveble and reliable at well over stock horsepower.
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 02:41 PM   #36

Texas Boomers Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Sway Update

I reworked the hitch and I did find the L brackets on for the tension bars were fairly loose. They were tight before my last trip. I did finally buy a F250 and it pulls easily and most of the sway is gone. I do have a bucking issue now but mostly on city streets the highway was better and it certainly has more towing power on inclines.

I have not adjusted the hitch to the new TV and TT I am hoping after a few mods that it will be pretty smooth.

Thank you all for your support perhaps we will meet on the road.

GOBB
Old 06-27-2015, 05:43 AM   #37

Quote:
however, a gas engine truck is not rated to tow as much as a diesel engine.
Not sure this is correct. The gas 2500 has a significantly higher payload capacity. My CTD weighs about 1000lbs more than the Hemi. And that is critical in a 2500 being capable of towing a 5er.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:06 AM   #38

Payload is the total max weight of the truck loaded, minus the weight of the truck itself. Since a CTD weighs more than a gas motor, it leaves more payload for the truck to carry, not pull. Towing capacity is different from payload. Payload comes to play for pinweight though.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:55 AM   #39

Congrats Gobb. We get that chucking on concrete highways too. But, so do the two families we often camp with. One tows a 34' fiver behind a F350 PSD, the other a 30' fiver behind a GMC 2500 gasser. We don't always get it on the same stretch of road or at the same speed, but I've come to realize that some chucking/bucking is inevitable on concrete roads.

I'm considering airbags on the F250 and/or shocks on the TT to try to further reduce this. Not yet sure if I'll do either, but am at least contemplating.

Happy camping.

Brian
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 01:36 PM   #40

Texas Boomers Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Sway Update

I finally broke down and bought a 2013 F250 diesel and so far it pulls great. Sway is pretty much gone there is a little up and down but I haven't fully adjusted the TT to the new vehicle. Thanks for all your responses.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:38 PM   #41

Texas Boomers Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
New TV

I finally broke down and bought a 2013 F250 diesel and so far it pulls great. Sway is pretty much gone there is a little up and down but I haven't fully adjusted the TT to the new vehicle.

I liked the GMC and Ram but made my best deal on the F250
Thanks for all your responses.
Old 08-15-2015, 04:30 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by chertz View Post
Agreed with going with the duramax... I believe that was one of the first years for the Ford 6.7L diesel which I have heard mixed reviews on... Duramax is better in my opinion (as a Cummins owner)
If Cummins did not exist it would be the Duramax for me.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote