Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2007, 03:30 PM   #1

Just purchase a new Star Stream TT and my dealer told me that to back up I first have to disconect my torsion bars and sway bar, is that true or do you think is pulling my leg, before I had a small motorhome and a 5ver but never a TT. By asking dume questions I will learn.
Thanks for your help
Gilles

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2007, 03:30 PM   #2

Just purchase a new Star Stream TT and my dealer told me that to back up I first have to disconect my torsion bars and sway bar, is that true or do you think is pulling my leg, before I had a small motorhome and a 5ver but never a TT. By asking dume questions I will learn.
Thanks for your help
Gilles

Old 05-08-2007, 04:36 PM   #3

I tow a travel-trailer with weight-distribution bars (but no sway control - getting the front axle weight right seems to eliminate the sway induced by passing trucks and side-winds).

I generally finish parking the trailer, including any backing-up, before disconnecting anything.

In certain circumstances where an irregular surface or mud, leaves, wet grass, etc on the surface may reduce traction -- then I will disconnect the torsion bars to put more weight back onto the drivers (rear axle of the pickup truck).

My signature used to include a link to my personal web-site - - - however:
DavidMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 05:49 PM   #4

R/T

I towed travel trailers for a long time. Like David said, I only disconnected the torsion bars a couple of times when I need more weight on the truck for traction.

I never used the friction sway bar but it is my understanding that they can be bent if you get into a really tight turn situation such as backing up. Maybe that is what the dealer was talking about.

I'm sure you'll get more opinions on this.

Happy camping!!

Lee
Old 05-08-2007, 07:50 PM   #5

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
Listen to what your dealer said
Old 05-09-2007, 08:02 AM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
When I towed a travel trailer I had the Reese Dual Cam set up. I never disconnected the the bars when backing and parking the trailer. I was told by the dealer that you did not have to. If you have a friction sway control the yes you should disconnect that, but I see no reason to disconnect the torsion bars.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:01 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by R/T pickup:
...my dealer told me that to back up I first have to disconect my torsion bars and sway bar, is that true or do you think is pulling my leg... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Gilles,
I don't understand why the dealer would tell you that. I have over 10 years experience towing a TT with weight distribution hitches and a single sway bar (as compared to dual sway bars). I never disconnect either the sway bar or the torsion bars until I have the trailer backed into the space I want it, and leveled side-to-side (w/the help of DW). Only after I've done this do I disconnect to level the trailer front-to-back. If we are just stopping for the night (1-night stop) I level the trailer without disconnecting... the back of the truck may sit a little high, but the torsion bars and sway bar stay connected.

I have no difficulty backing the trailer exactly where I want it to go with everything connected. In one instance, I was pulling into an area with tall, rain-slicked grass (in Oregon, where else?) to back the trailer into a tight space. I couldn't get traction, so I reached down that turned on the electronic-activated 4-whl drive. That solved the traction problem.

Unless your dealer can explain to your satisfaction the reason he gave you that advice, I'd say ignore it and do what 98% of us do!

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 06:03 AM   #8

Listen to what you are told here. Only thing I ever loosened was the friction sway control. Before backing I would stop and release the friction pad. This would prevent binding when backing.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 04:58 PM   #9

The dealer told me almost the same thing disconnect the friction sway control before backing, well I forgot this week and it still ok, not bent or anything. I was told to disconnect the torsion bars if back over any big bumps or real uneven terrain.

2006 Ram 3500 Mega-Cab Jake Brake
dixoncider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:49 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have never used sway control but as far as torsion bars are concerned, I usually do not un-hook them unless I am backing into a tight space. I feel that the TT responds faster without them. Everyone I know with friction type sway controls usually un hooks them when backing.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:35 AM   #11

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I usualy do not disconect my Reese dual cam either. I did however have a u-bolt on one of the cams break while I was backing into our space at the iRV2 rally in Nashville TN in 2003. The spaces were very small and I had to do a lot of jockying around to place my TT on our spacs so that my slides did not encroach too much on the next space.

Bill
Old 05-28-2007, 10:19 PM   #12

Always take off your anti-sway bar. It will break the ball. It only takes one time backing up. As far as the weight distribution bars, I leave mine on.

2002 1500 Dodge Ram 5.9L 350Hp 17" Wheels
RayK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 02:48 PM   #13

I guess you have enough response on this but will add when we had a TT we where told by the dealer to disconnect the friction anti sway bar before backing up.