Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2011, 12:52 PM   #1

Newbie help choosing hitch please

We are getting a ViewFinder V-22RBDS. It has a dry weight of 4,910# and a hitch weight of 445#(I assume hitch weight means the same as tongue weight?)
I like what I have read about the Blue Ox SwayPro. It seems to be easy to use and maintain.
The SwayPro comes in :
BXW0550 (550 lbs)
BXW0750 (750 lbs)
BXW1000 (1000 lbs)
BXW1500 (1500 lbs)
Would the 750# be right? I have read that if you have too light a tongue weight sway will increase. Being a newbie to rving and dont want to get the wrong hitch.
The way the floor plan is, most of the storage is toward the front of the trailer.

I also looked at the Equalizer but thought it was a bit more complicated. But I do want the best on-road towing experience.

Thanks in advance,

Mikro

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2011, 09:12 PM   #2

It would help to know what you are using for a tow vehicle. That being said the Reese Dual Cam system works great for me, but you'll probably get 20 different opinions. From your description the 550 should do you.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlyphyshr View Post
It would help to know what you are using for a tow vehicle. That being said the Reese Dual Cam system works great for me, but you'll probably get 20 different opinions. From your description the 550 should do you.
My tow vehicle is a 2009 Ford Expedition 5.4L V8
Old 09-09-2011, 06:52 AM   #4

We also have a Viewfinder 22RBDS and initially had a Fastway e2 hitch with 2 point sway control and weren't very happy with the performance. Too much sway and if there was a side wind, the camper was hard to control.

Changed to an Equal-i-zer hitch (1000 lb rating) and are much happier. Towed over 4800 miles through Colorado this summer and had no issues.

The hitch isn't complicated to setup or remove, it only takes about 2-3 minutes to hitch or unhitch.

Had mine professionally installed and they did a great job of balancing the load and getting it setup correctly.

Brian

"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Brian & Donna
2011 Dodge Durango Crew & 2011 Cruiser RV - Viewfinder 22RBDS
natwwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 04:54 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikro402 View Post
Would the 750# be right?
Yes. The GVWR of that TT is 6,045, and if you're like most RVers, your sig will have it loaded to the gills on the second long RV trip. So count on the trailer gross weight to be around 6,000 pounds.

A properly loaded TT will have 10% to 12% hitch weight with 11% being ideal. 11% of 6,045 = 665 pounds hitch weight. So of the choices available, 750# isthe best choice for your load.

Quote:
I have read that if you have too light a tongue weight sway will increase.
You want to be very pickie about your hitch and the way the weight is distributed in the trailer. In my case, I would not tow a trailer that weighed more than 5,000 pounds without a Hensley Arrow or ProPride hitch. Yeah, those cost a lot more than other hitches, but you will have absolutely no sway.

Quote:
But I do want the best on-road towing experience.
Then you too want a Hensley Arrow pr ProPride hitch. But they're not cheap, so most folks compromise and get something that costs less than "best".
Trailer Sway Control Hitch Guaranteed to Eliminate Trailer Sway - ProPride 3P
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 05:37 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikro402 View Post
We are getting a ViewFinder V-22RBDS. It has a dry weight of 4,910# and a hitch weight of 445#(I assume hitch weight means the same as tongue weight?)
I like what I have read about the Blue Ox SwayPro. It seems to be easy to use and maintain.
The SwayPro comes in :
BXW0550 (550 lbs)
BXW0750 (750 lbs)
BXW1000 (1000 lbs)
BXW1500 (1500 lbs)
Would the 750# be right? I have read that if you have too light a tongue weight sway will increase.

Mikro
Hi, Mikro

You're right about the sway potential increasing if the tongue is too light- and you may have that problem even before you load your trailer.
The 750 lb weight on the chart is the capacity of the hitch- it's not the tongue weight of your trailer.
If the numbers I highlighted in your post are correct, and your tongue weight is only 445 lbs, you're already below the magic 10% minimum recommendation for tongue weight.
Do be sure to take a hard look at those weights, and take care when you start loading the trailer up.
You might even go so far as to fill the water/waste tanks and have the trailer and tongue weighed just to get an idea of how the weight of at least those loads will affect your ratio.

Good luck!

Francesca
Old 09-18-2011, 06:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
You want to be very pickie about your hitch and the way the weight is distributed in the trailer. In my case, I would not tow a trailer that weighed more than 5,000 pounds without a Hensley Arrow or ProPride hitch. Yeah, those cost a lot more than other hitches, but you will have absolutely no sway.

Then you too want a Hensley Arrow pr ProPride hitch. But they're not cheap, so most folks compromise and get something that costs less than "best".
Trailer Sway Control Hitch Guaranteed to Eliminate Trailer Sway - ProPride 3P

I am now rethinking my purchase of a Blue Ox in lieu of a ProPride 3P.
I like what I have read about it. I realize it will cost much more.
I am a newbie and don't want a problem with sway.It would only lead to a dread of taking the trailer out again.
We are retired now and plan to do a lot of traveling and camping.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:08 PM   #8

Mikro,

First a disclamer: Everything I post here is my opinion, not fact carved in stone. (Although I do have a degree in engineering.)

The hitch weight and tongue weight are the same thing. The reason RVers talk about hitch weight relative to the trailer's total weight is because it is an easy way to measure the location of the center of gravity of the trailer relative to the axle(s). The farther forward the center of gravity is, relative to the axle, the less the trailer will tend to sway. Notice the axle positions on 18-wheelers. They carry about 50% of the trailer's weight on the hitch and never sway.

The reason travel trailers don't carry that much weight on the hitch is because the tow vehicle can't carry it. A fifth-wheel trailer, with its higher proportion of weight on the hitch (thus a more forward CG), generally will tow better than most travel trailers.

When your trailer is loaded it will probably approach the maximum recommended trailer weight that Ford lists for your Expedition. I agree that it will probably weigh about 6000 pounds. This should give you a tongue weight of at least 600 pounds, and more is generally better as long as your tow vehicle will support it.

You can keep everything level, up to a point, with a weight-distributing hitch. I have tried a few different ones, and have been most satisfied with the Equal-i-zer that Brian mentioned earlier. I would opt for a 1000 pound unit, but you could probably get away with a lower rated one as well. In my opinion, a Hensley Arrow would be overkill for this trailer. A Hensley Arrow hitch could cost as much as the trailer.

I agree that the Equal-i-zer hitch is not at all complicated, and it has a couple of advantages over other hitches that use chains and a separate sway control device. If I remember correctly, it was very reasonably priced too.

If you cannot level the truck and trailer with the forces on the equalizing bars, you will need to consider air-ride springs, such as the Air Lift or Firestone Ride-Rite. These allow you to add air to the support for your truck's rear axle, thereby maintaining a level ride with the trailer hitched up. This generally will not be necessary.

You won't go too far wrong with many different set-ups, so don't overthink this issue. As you gain experience, you'll also form your own opinions and then you can post something like this for someone else.

Best of luck,
-- Loren
Old 09-23-2011, 12:27 AM   #9

" A Hensley Arrow hitch could cost as much as the trailer."

At around $3200 new, this statement fades in meaning...

As to overkill, probably not possible, but maybe over-economic kill.

If you haven't used a Hensley/ProPride, do not discount the effectiveness of the design in countering potential for sway. I towed a 30' front slide TT with a Hensley and found it cured all tracking/sway/stopping problems that a Husky and Reese standard WD hitch could not handle.

"Notice the axle positions on 18-wheelers. They carry about 50% of the trailer's weight on the hitch and never sway."
Yes, notice the axle positions--they are at the rear of the trailer (wonder why that is), and our fivers/TTs are in the middle. Consider moving the axles of the 18-wheeler to the middle or all the way to the front of the trailer and then tow it.

Joe

Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:19 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
" A Hensley Arrow hitch could cost as much as the trailer."

At around $3200 new, this statement fades in meaning...
I haven't priced a new Hensley Arrow lately, but the MSRP for a new ProPride is $2,345 - per that link I posted in my earlier post in this thread.

And you can sometimes find used ones on E-Bay for about half that price.

Tags