Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2015, 11:17 AM   #1

Newbie here. Weight distributing hitch.

My trailer total dry weight is 5166 lbs and the trailer hitch weight is 626 lbs. My truck can tow 6800 lbs. Does it matter what distributing hitch I get ? For example the 800lbs or the 1000lbs one. I'm thinking the 1000 lbs one just in case I upgrade my trailer in a few years.

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2015, 11:50 AM   #2

My trailer was about the same as yours. The 800 will be the better choice. 1000 will be harder than heck to torque up. BTW, when you do go to use it.. hook up the trailer to the ball, then extend the trailer jack to lift the tongue AND the truck a few inches, then put the chains on. Much easier than trying to torque it from a lowered position.

Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:59 AM   #3

If you don't have one yet, get an electric hitch Jack. It was the best $300 I ever spent. Especially when jacking the tongue up to torque the WD bars.

Also, I was told that you should disconnect the bars before backing in to a spot. I always did I it, not sure how much difference it made.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:16 PM   #4

well, there re three basic "levels" of quality WDHs.

There are the round bar, friction sway control setups for 250-500 bucks. These will have a separate sway bar you must put on to help control sway. You must jump out and remove these before you reverse into a spot.

You don't say what your TV is,or how long the TT is, so hard to say if one of these less expensive WDHs will be just fine. it's possible.

The next "level" up in quality are the types that prevent sway, rather than try to control it with friction. These run 500-1000.00. Examples are Blue Ox SwayPro, Reese, and Equalizer. There are others. These have two benefits: They are designed to prevent sway rather than attempt to control it, and you do not have a friction sway control bar to deal with.

Lastly you have an entirely different engineering solution available in Hensley or ProPride hitches. These run 2-3000.00. It is worth a read on their websites to understand these hitches and make a decision if it's something you want or need.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:25 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
There is a new system on the market by Tuson (Tuson RV Brakes - Trailer Brake Controllers, Sway Control, Brake Actuators, Hydraulic ABS) that is electrical and acts like an ABS system.

Don't know anyone who has tried this system yet, but it looks like a better way to invent the wheel.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:46 PM   #6

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:47 PM   #7

24'
Old 06-04-2015, 01:44 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxrodr3 View Post
My trailer total dry weight is 5166 lbs and the trailer hitch weight is 626 lbs.
Not enough info. Dry weights are almost useless. What is the GVWR of the trailer? Or if GVWR is not published by the trailer manufacturer, what is the combined GAWR of the trailer axles?

GVWR of the trailer times 0.125 will give you the max tongue weight of an average TT in that size range. (Tongue weight will vary from about 11% to 15% of loaded trailer weight, but most will be around 12.5% to 13%.) Be certain your hitch is rated for at least that much. I suspect your estimated max hitch weight per the above formula will be more than 800 pounds, so go for the 1,000-pound rating. Some excellent WD hitches, including the Reese Strait-Line, don't offer one with 1,000-pound max tongue weight rating, so in that case go for 1,200.

Cheap WD hitches from Reese, Drawtite, Curt, Husky and others are available for an online discount price from $200 to $400. But you don't want one of those for towing a TT. If your new WD hitch costs less than $500 from an online discount source, then it's not good enough for my TT. Insist on one of the following with the correct weight rating:

Reese Strait-Line
Husky CenterLine
Blue Ox SwayPro
Equal-I-Zer

Those four list for around $1,000 but can be bought from Amazon or eTrailer and other online sources for less than $600 complete with adjustable shank.

Quote:
My truck can tow 6800 lbs.
Your truck can PULL 6,800 pounds, but it will probably be overloaded with any TT that grosses more than about 5,000 pounds. My half-ton pickup has a tow rating of 8,400 pounds, but it's overloaded with my TT that weighs less than 5,000 pounds when wet and loaded on an RV trip. Because with a normal load of people and stuff, you'll exceed the payload capacity of your pickup well before you reach the tow rating of the pickup.

Quote:
Does it matter what distributing hitch I get ? For example the 800lbs or the 1000lbs one. I'm thinking the 1000 lbs one just in case I upgrade my trailer in a few years.
With a dry weight of 5166, your TT probably has GVWR of around 7,000 pounds (two 3,500-pound axles). So it will have more than 800 pounds tongue weight when wet and loaded on the road. So go for at least the 1,000 pounds tongue weight rating, and 1,200 pounds will work just fine. My WD hitch is rated for up to 1,400 pounds tongue weight, and it does a wonderful job towing my TT that has tongue weight around 650 pounds. You just don't tighten up the spring bars as tight if your tongue weight is less tan the max the hitch can handle.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:19 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
800 lb trunion bars and a forged head. Stay away from the "cast" heads. Known of two rivers who had their cast one break in half.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:50 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
800 lb trunion bars and a forged head.
7,000 pounds trailer weight with 12.5% tongue weight = 875 pounds tongue weight. That will overload a hitch rated 800 pounds max tongue eight. If you get a hitch rated 800 pounds tongue weight, then be sure you never load the trailer to more than about 6,400 pounds gross trailer weight or 5,600 pounds combined trailer axle weight.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:57 PM   #11

I went from one of the cheaper round bar WD hitches with the friction anti sway device to a Swaypro. It was definitely worth the money for a couple of reasons. First is that it is clean and very easy to hook up. The design of the hitch helps prevent sway rather than dampen it after the trailer starts swaying. There are other good ones out there, but none are any quieter, I don't think. The advertised hitch weight on our trailer is just under 700 pounds and the 1000 pound bars seem to be about right.

Tags
newbie, weight