Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2016, 09:40 PM   #1

NEWBIE International 4700 LP 5th Wheel Tractor...

Hi All,

I'm trying to get in the right forum, so as not to bore anyone here.

I'm a very experienced mechanic, and I rebuild wrecked/damaged vehicles from motorcycles to big rigs.

I just bought a lightly wrecked personal driver that I'm planning on towing a 5th wheel toy hauler with.

It's a 97 International 4700 Low Profile Single Axle Tractor 157k miles with a DT466 and a hot shot bed with an air ride 5th wheel plate on it. Lots of built-in jockey boxes, etc... The boxes and the sides of the bed are rough - bent sides, missing doors, bent and ugly bed (I'd show pics, but the upload wants a URL and doesn't store pics here apparently), so,

I WANT TO SWAP OUT THE BENT UP 5TH WHEEL HOT SHOT LOW PROFILE BED FOR ANOTHER GOOD USED ONE OR A NEW ONE. USED PREFERRED.

Any leads are sincerely appreciated.

2. I'm trying to find out what this tractor's TARE WEIGHT is. i. e. How much does the truck weigh, so I know what rating of trailer I could use to haul it home, etc...

I'm calling International tomorrow for a build sheet, and I predict they can help with the tare weight thing, but if any of you work/play with these tractors, I'd really enjoy chatting with you.

The truck has a DT 466, unknown horsepower and torque at this time, but it's a Class 5 Single Axle Tractor rated from 16,500 - 19,500 lbs. and can go to 26k here in Nevada without a CDL, and it has hydraulic brakes.

My plan is to tow a toy hauler with it, and an occasional vehicle hauling trailer to chase down other dead medium duty trucks, cars, etc...

Hope to chat with you soon!

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2016, 08:45 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 Intl 4700 View Post
I WANT TO SWAP OUT THE BENT UP 5TH WHEEL HOT SHOT LOW PROFILE BED FOR ANOTHER GOOD USED ONE OR A NEW ONE. USED PREFERRED.
I can't help with bone yard parts. But assuming that truck has a 60" CA (cab to axle length), there are lots of choices for a new bed. Rescue the 5er hitch and the air ride parts from the junker to use in the new bed.

My favorite affordable tow body for hauling a fifth wheel trailer is the Knapheid Westerner Storage Body.
https://www.knapheide.com/gooseneck-...er-storage-p21

Note that most of the photos in that link show pickups with the bed replaced by a body. For pickups, you have to match the exact body to the brand of pickup, because CA varies from about 55" to about 58" or so for a pickup with an 8' bed. But for any cab and chassis truck, regardless of brand, all you need is the CA, which will be 60" or maybe 84". A bed for a 60" CA will fit any cab and chassis truck with a 60" CA, whether Ford, Chevy, Peterbilt, or your International. 60" CA is the shortest, and just slightly longer than a long-bed pickup. 84" CA is the next longer size, and very popular in the hot shot business. And some cab and chassis trucks have CA of 108" or longer. So ignore all those photos of pickups and think of the bed mounted on your chassis cab.

But of course you can put together a flatbed body with storages boxes under the bed and headache rack in front of the bed. You can probably find a dealer for flat beds in a larger town near you. Look in the yellow pages under "truck bodies".

Most expensive but really neat looking would be a hauler bed, such as a Herrin Hauler.
http://www.herrinhauler.com./images/classic10.jpg

If your local truck body store doesn't have any hauler beds that you like, they can order a Herrin Hauler or a 1-800-Toolbox hauler bed or even a Western Hauler.
WESTERN HAULER - INTERNATIONAL TRUCKS

But hang onto your wallet. Those Western Hauler tow bodies look great but are not cheap.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, national, newbie