Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-17-2016, 02:52 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 6
Newbie needs help

[ moderator edit ] Never owned one until today, never towed one, and never owned more than a 1/2 ton pickup.

Just bought a used 2008 keystone raptor bumper pull toy hauler. 31 ft model 3110-tt. My son races dirtbik es and we are getting pretty serious, so I need to get a tow vehicle squared away ASAP for some upcoming races.

Spec sheet shows 9190 lbs base weight with carrying capacity of 3810 lbs. Hitch weight listed at 1360 lbs.

I have started to look at speccing out a tow rig [ moderator edit ]. What is the best calculator or source to look at this? Is that hitch weight listed based on an empty or loaded trailer? I want to have excess towing capacity for both safety and potential upgrade to heavier 5er later.

Interested in any feedback and direction. Thanks in advance
__________________

__________________
Jbmotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2016, 03:03 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbmotorsport View Post
Ok guys, got your attention. If your hoping I am some hot single woman, sorry. I am however an RV virgin. Never owned one until today, never towed one, and never owned more than a 1/2 ton pickup.

Just bought a used 2008 keystone raptor bumper pull toy hauler. 31 ft model 3110-tt. My son races dirtbik es and we are getting pretty serious, so I need to get a tow vehicle squared away ASAP for some upcoming races.

Spec sheet shows 9190 lbs base weight with carrying capacity of 3810 lbs. Hitch weight listed at 1360 lbs.

I have started to look at speccing out a tow rig and it seems opinions on suitability are like @$$holes and everyone has them. What is the best calculator or source to look at this? Is that hitch weight listed based on an empty or loaded trailer? I want to have excess towing capacity for both safety and potential upgrade to heavier 5er later.

Interested in any feedback and direction. Thanks in advance
Raptor Specifications for 2014
__________________

__________________
Ram 2500 6.4L, Creekside 23RKS, Smyrna, Ga
Previously - Casita 17' w/Dodge Dakota 3.9L
dexters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 03:22 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 6
Thanks for the link. Hitch weight dry or wet?
__________________
Jbmotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 03:32 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Highway 4x4's Avatar
 
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: La Verne, Calif
Posts: 2,173
A 3/4 ton diesel should do just fine. You could do a 3/4 gas but you will like the diesel more. A 1 ton would not be that much of an overkill but really more than you need at this time. If you are really thinking of a 5th down the road, then go 1 ton now and save a trade later.
__________________
2014 Wind River 250RDSW
2014 Ram 2500 Diesel Laramie 4x4, Snugtop shell,
One big spoiled Bernese Mtn Dog
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 03:44 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 6
Is 1 ton dually overkill at this point?
__________________
Jbmotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:59 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1
Never heard anyone complain about having too much truck.
__________________
Eknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:43 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
 
SmokeyWren's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Midland County, Texas
Posts: 3,329
If loaded to the 13k GVWR, which is very easy to do with a toy hauler trailer, then count on 13% tongue weight, or about 1,700 pounds tongue weight. Add another 100 pounds for a good Weight-distributing (WD) hitch, and your hitch weight would be about 1,800 pounds.

I don't know about 3500s, so I'll discuss Ford's F-350 SRW and F-350 DRW.

Assuming the heaviest version of the pickups = crewcab 4x4 diesel with 8' bed , then you can expect wet and loaded weight of at least 8,000 pounds for the SRW and 8,500 pounds for the Dooley. I'd add another 500 pounds to both for "just in case".

F-250 has GVWR of 10,000 pounds. Add 1800 pounds hitch weight to the 8,500 wet and loaded truck weight, and you're overloaded. So forgetabout the three-quarter-ton tow vehicle for that much trailer.

The so-called "one ton" F-350 diesel with single rear wheels (SRW) has GVWR of 11,500, so a wet and loaded truck weight of 8,500 pounds leaves 3,000 pounds for max hitch weight before you are overloaded. Since your max hitch weight will be less than 2,000 pounds, the F-350 SRW is what you need. You'll still have the 1,000 pounds cushion in case Darling Wife just has to haul home a bunch of those pretty rocks she saw while camping.

Yes, the DRW is overkill for that trailer. But if you're like me and plan to keep that tow vehicle for over 10 years, then the DRW may be your best bet. The SRW can tow a 5er that grosses up to about 15,000 pounds without running out of payload capacity, while the DRW an go on up to a 20k trailer without overloading the Dooley.


Wet and loaded truck weight of 9,000 pounds with GVWR of 13,300 leaves you with a max of 4,300 pounds of hitch weight. A 5er with 4,000 pounds hitch weight will probably have 20% pin weight, so 4,000 pounds pin weight is a 20k trailer. So if you like your 13k toy hauler, you could graduate up to a 20k 5er toy hauler and have enough truck to tow it with, if the tow vehicle is an F-350 DRW diesel.
__________________
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 03:06 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
If loaded to the 13k GVWR, which is very easy to do with a toy hauler trailer, then count on 13% tongue weight, or about 1,700 pounds tongue weight. Add another 100 pounds for a good Weight-distributing (WD) hitch, and your hitch weight would be about 1,800 pounds.

I don't know about 3500s, so I'll discuss Ford's F-350 SRW and F-350 DRW.

Assuming the heaviest version of the pickups = crewcab 4x4 diesel with 8' bed , then you can expect wet and loaded weight of at least 8,000 pounds for the SRW and 8,500 pounds for the Dooley. I'd add another 500 pounds to both for "just in case".

F-250 has GVWR of 10,000 pounds. Add 1800 pounds hitch weight to the 8,500 wet and loaded truck weight, and you're overloaded. So forgetabout the three-quarter-ton tow vehicle for that much trailer.

The so-called "one ton" F-350 diesel with single rear wheels (SRW) has GVWR of 11,500, so a wet and loaded truck weight of 8,500 pounds leaves 3,000 pounds for max hitch weight before you are overloaded. Since your max hitch weight will be less than 2,000 pounds, the F-350 SRW is what you need. You'll still have the 1,000 pounds cushion in case Darling Wife just has to haul home a bunch of those pretty rocks she saw while camping.

Yes, the DRW is overkill for that trailer. But if you're like me and plan to keep that tow vehicle for over 10 years, then the DRW may be your best bet. The SRW can tow a 5er that grosses up to about 15,000 pounds without running out of payload capacity, while the DRW an go on up to a 20k trailer without overloading the Dooley.


Wet and loaded truck weight of 9,000 pounds with GVWR of 13,300 leaves you with a max of 4,300 pounds of hitch weight. A 5er with 4,000 pounds hitch weight will probably have 20% pin weight, so 4,000 pounds pin weight is a 20k trailer. So if you like your 13k toy hauler, you could graduate up to a 20k 5er toy hauler and have enough truck to tow it with, if the tow vehicle is an F-350 DRW diesel.
What year ford are you considering? I am looking at an 06 model, and the tow guide shows the DRW only goes up to 15k max loaded trailer weight.
__________________
Jbmotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 04:45 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
 
SmokeyWren's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Midland County, Texas
Posts: 3,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbmotorsport View Post
What year ford are you considering? I am looking at an 06 model, and the tow guide shows the DRW only goes up to 15k max loaded trailer weight.
2011-up.

2006 is a 10-year-old pickup. And yeah, the tow rating is 15k with GCWR of 23,500. But it has a tow rating of 15k when the wet and loaded tow vehicle weighs 8,500 pounds or less.

2011-up F-350 DRW is a much stronger tow vehicle. GCWR of 30,000 pounds and tow rating over 21k. That's what I based my first post on.
__________________
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:55 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Highway 4x4's Avatar
 
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: La Verne, Calif
Posts: 2,173
If you like the Ford and are headed that way I would spend some time on the Ford diesel forums to see what the good years are and the issues with some years. That way you'll know what questions to ask the owner and what to look for in a good used unit.
__________________
2014 Wind River 250RDSW
2014 Ram 2500 Diesel Laramie 4x4, Snugtop shell,
One big spoiled Bernese Mtn Dog
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 04:44 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
chertz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 494
There is a very good YouTube series from "powerstrokehelp" guy owns a very good shop, if you search around he does some great videos on problems and what to expect out of each generation powerstroke.
__________________
2014 Ram 3500 CCLB 4x4 Dually 68RFE, 370/800 Cummins 3.42 highway gear - Deep Cherry Red
2016 Coachmen Chapparal 360IBL
Sold - 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT QCLB 4x4 - Cummins Power
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:55 AM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 6
wiuld I be ok with this rig and a 2011 dodge 3500 mega cab 4x4 drw?
__________________
Jbmotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:25 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
chertz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 494
You would certainly have enough truck. The 2011s I think are not as robust in the emissions equipment as the 2013+ trucks.... although the emissions is easily removed, I mean sometimes it falls off.
__________________
2014 Ram 3500 CCLB 4x4 Dually 68RFE, 370/800 Cummins 3.42 highway gear - Deep Cherry Red
2016 Coachmen Chapparal 360IBL
Sold - 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT QCLB 4x4 - Cummins Power
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 12:15 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
 
SmokeyWren's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Midland County, Texas
Posts: 3,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbmotorsport View Post
wiuld I be ok with this rig and a 2011 dodge 3500 mega cab 4x4 drw?
Probably, but check the weight rating of the receiver hitch. If it's not rated for at least 2,000 pounds tongue weight, you need to replace the receiver with a heavier-duty receiver. A 13k toy hauler could have as much as 1,950 pounds tongue weight when wet and loaded for the dunes. DO NOT overload your receiver.
__________________

__________________
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newbie needs help picking 10 person TT - Thank you so much for all help! sunsinger44 Travel Trailer Discussion 19 03-25-2016 08:08 AM
Newbie needs help Raven1941 Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 11 02-13-2008 08:03 PM
Workhorse Newbie needs help please GoneFishin Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum 5 05-14-2007 02:03 AM
Newbie WiFi User Needs Help. LIKENIT Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 31 02-10-2007 02:25 AM
Newbie, needs help with a Tire Question egoblast Travel Trailer Discussion 8 06-15-2006 08:05 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.