Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2012, 07:51 PM   #1

Newbie needs Towing advice

Hi All, I am going from a crossover and a pop up to a pick-up and a travel trailer. I am buying both new and want to make sure I am making the right towing decision. I believe I have all of the numbers I need. The trailer is a 29rkss Shasta Revere. Ship Weight 7416 lbs. GVWR 8800 lbs. I am looking at the Dodge Ram with the 3.92 rear end that is rated to tow 10,500lbs or the F150 Ecoboost max tow package that is rated to tow 11,200 lbs. The GCWR of the Ram is 15,500 lbs. less the GVW of the ram of 6,800 lbs. and the GVW of the trailer of 8,800 lbs. leaves me 100 lbs. short. The F150 has a GCWR of 17,100 lbs. less the GVW of the ford of 7,700 and the GVW of the trailer of 8,800 lbs. gives me a 600 lb. cushion. The Ford looks like it will tow more but I get employee pricing on the Ram which even without the discount is cheaper. However I would rather spend the money and be safe. I canít imagine loading up the truck to the maximum carrying capacity. Itís just my wife and I who weigh about 385 combined. I am looking for opinions on towing a 30 foot trailer of this weight with a Ĺ ton and if anyone sees a problem with going with the Dodge. I will also be getting a W/D hitch. Thanks in advance for any advice

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2012, 08:31 PM   #2

You might be needing this site for future reference:
Largo, FL Trailer Hitch - 5th Wheel Hitch - Trailer Parts

Old 09-06-2012, 08:06 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by applianceman View Post
The trailer is a 29rkss Shasta Revere. Ship Weight 7416 lbs. GVWR 8800 lbs.
Also compute wet and loaded hitch weight at 15% of the trailer's GVWR = 1320 pounds.

Quote:

I am looking at the Dodge Ram with the 3.92 rear end that is rated to tow 10,500lbs or the F150 Ecoboost max tow package that is rated to tow 11,200 lbs.
Both of those tow ratings are deceiving. Subtract at least 1,000 pounds from those tow ratings to get a realistic tow rating. But either one should be able to tow an 8,800 pounds trailer over the Rockies if GCWR (i.e., tow rating) were the limiter.

Quote:
The GCWR of the Ram is 15,500 lbs. less the GVW of the ram of 6,800 lbs. and the GVW of the trailer of 8,800 lbs. leaves me 100 lbs. short. The F150 has a GCWR of 17,100 lbs. less the GVW of the ford of 7,700 and the GVW of the trailer of 8,800 lbs. gives me a 600 lb. cushion. The Ford looks like it will tow more but I get employee pricing on the Ram which even without the discount is cheaper.
Your doing the research before you spend your money is commendable. But you're ignoring GVWR (weight hauling capacity) which is usually the limiter on a half-ton pickup. I'll ignore the Dodge for the time being and discuss the Ford.

"Tow rating" is the GCWR minus the weigh of the tow vehicle. GCWR of 17,100 and a tow rating of 11,200 means Ford determined your wet and loaded truck will weigh only 5,900 pounds. But you'll find out that your wet and loaded F-150 weighs more than 5,900 pounds. GCWR is 17,100 and the wet and loaded truck will weigh around 6,500, so the tow rating of 11,200 pounds is not far off if the only thing you had to worry about was GCWR. But GCWR is not the limiter for a TT with 15% hitch weight. GVWR, i.e., payload available for hitch weight, is your limiter.

With the max tow pkg on a SuperCrew EcoBoost 4x4, your GVWR will be about 7,700 pounds. If your wet and loaded truck weighs 6,500 pounds on a CAT scale, that leaves 1,200 pounds for max hitch weight. But 15% of 8,800 trailer weight = 1320 pounds hitch weight. Oops! You're overloaded over the hauling capacity of your truck. You have plenty of power to pull the weight, but not enough payload capability to haul the hitch weight. And if your wet and loaded truck (before you tie onto the trailer) is 7,000 pounds, you'll be way overloaded with the trailer tied on.

Ford has a solution. In addition to the max tow pkg that increases GCWR to 17,100 pounds, you also need the HD payload pkg that increases GVWR to 8,200 pounds. That's called a "heavy half" pickup, and I know GM has them, and I suspect Dodge does too.

On the Ford build-and-price website, choose your trim, body, bed length, 4x4 or 4x2, and EcoBoost engine. Then choose 3.73 limited slip axle. The website will automagically add both the max tow pkg and the HD payload pkg to your build. If you choose any axle other than the 3.73 LS, you will not be offered the option of ordering the HD payload pkg.

Quote:
I am looking for opinions on towing a 30 foot trailer of this weight with a Ĺ ton and if anyone sees a problem with going with the Dodge.
The Ford with the Ecoboost engine, max tow pkg, and HD payload pkg will tow that 8,800 pounds trailer with no problem, and without being overloaded (assuming you don't load down the truck with a bunch of weight in the back seat and/or bed).

I don't know much about a Dodge, but I'll bet they have a combo of options that will convert a 1500 half-ton pickup into a "heavy half" that can tow that 8,800-pound trailer without being overloaded over either the GVWR or GCWR of the tow vehicle.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:49 PM   #4

Thanks

Thanks so much for the advice. Spent the day looking at F-250's and Dodge 2500's. Looks like to go with the Ford HD payload I will meed the longer bed. In which case I will go ahead and move up to the 3/4 ton. Either that or we will look at smaller trailers. Thanks again SmokeyWren, you were the one I was hoping to hear from.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #5

I would also compare the Dodge 3500 with the 6.7 HO ENGINE. I find that mine pulls my 15.5 K 5er with ease.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:06 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
One additional point you might want to consider. The F250/350 HDs with power stroke have different sized fuel tanks, depending on the bed. The 6 1/2 foot bed is only 26 gals, while the 8 foot is 37 gals. I wanted a crew cab, like my current F150 King Ranch, but the 8 foot bed make it pretty unfriendly finding parking once you go out and about at your destination. Coming down to the smaller bed means filling up every 200 miles or so when you're towing ... all in all, a deal breaker.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:19 AM   #7

Thanks for all of the good advice from everyone. After evaluating everyone's opinions I have decided to go with the F-250. As it's primary job is to tow not get me around town I am not worried so much about the ride and mileage. I figured the F-250 gives me more breathing room than a maxed out F-150. Also the F-250 is cheaper than the F-150 w/ max tow and HD payload. Thanks again everyone. Should have the new camper soon. Picked up the new truck on Thursday. Looking forward to learning and contributing on this forum.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:35 AM   #8

Appliance man,
good discussions....as I am considering a similar purchase....you mentioned that your research found F-250 actually cheaper overall compared to upgraded F-150. What trim pkg were you comparing and what ballpark pricing did you find?
Are you planning to tow 5th wheel or TT?
Wonder if the 6 1/2 foot bed would suffice for 5th whl...?
Thanks in advance....
Old 09-17-2012, 12:23 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBison1 View Post
With the right hitch, the 6.5' bed is fine. The right hitch is a slider. If you don't want to worry about cab to trailer contact and ruining your day, then you must ALWAYS slide a manual slider hitch back BEFORE you put the tranny in reverse. Your truck probably won't turn sharp enough to have cab to trailer contact when going forward, but when backing up you can jacknife in a heart beat and have a heart-throbing Uh-oh moment.

If you are the least bit forgetful, or you don't want to take a chance of an uh-oh moment, or you don't want to mess with getting out in the rain to slide the hitch, then pay the big bucks for a PullRite SuperGlide hitch. The SuperGlide is automatic, so you don't have to worry about forgetting to slide the hitch.
PullRite has a SAFER, STRONGER, BETTER designed hitch for you

The SuperGlide costs about twice as much as a good manual slider hitch, such as the Reese 16k slider hitch in the following link:
http://www.etrailer.com/multi-product.aspx?pc1=RP30051&pc2=RP30035&hhmake=Ford&h hmodel=F-250+and+F-350+Super+Duty&hhyear=2011&vehicleid=2011642732&hu nter=5w
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBison1 View Post
Appliance man,
good discussions....as I am considering a similar purchase....you mentioned that your research found F-250 actually cheaper overall compared to upgraded F-150. What trim pkg were you comparing and what ballpark pricing did you find?
Are you planning to tow 5th wheel or TT?
Thanks in advance....
The F-150 that I felt I needed would be with the long bed (HD Payload) and the max tow. I was looking at a supercrew FX4. With the long bed it was too long to fit in my garage. So I went with an F-250 with the extended cab instead of the supercrew. The price was $300.00 more for the 250. The trim inside and out is identical. It fits in my garage and I feel more comfortable being able to pull that trailer that will probably end up at 9000lbs plus and a tongue weight of around 1000lbs.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:30 AM   #11

Copy SmokeyWren.........I've seen the website for the hitch....always wondered if worked as advertised........thx
AppMan.....know what you mean with a supercrew and 8' bed...that's alot of truck to park/drive around town....definitely looking at the new F250 Supercrew w/ shorter bed and hitch mentioned above....I share you thoughts on tow capacity "safety margin".....been down the road of having "just enough" power/tow capability and knocks the fun out of why we're out there in the first place....thx for the comments........buying one soon.......

Tags
newbie, towing