Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2006, 04:15 PM   #1

I recently bought a Wilderness Lite 5th wheel and it has Goodyear Marathon radials on it. My trailer fully loaded weighs 5100 lbs. I checked on the Goodyear site for the weight ratings for this tire and it is 1430 lbs. @35 lbs.
Am I to assume that I should run these tires at the 35lb. pressure to support this trailers weight. The reason I am asking is the previous owner only ran the tires at 25lbs. pressure, saying they were radials and they usually run at a lower pressure. Thanks for any help you can offer.
Roger W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2006, 04:15 PM   #2

I recently bought a Wilderness Lite 5th wheel and it has Goodyear Marathon radials on it. My trailer fully loaded weighs 5100 lbs. I checked on the Goodyear site for the weight ratings for this tire and it is 1430 lbs. @35 lbs.
Am I to assume that I should run these tires at the 35lb. pressure to support this trailers weight. The reason I am asking is the previous owner only ran the tires at 25lbs. pressure, saying they were radials and they usually run at a lower pressure. Thanks for any help you can offer.
Roger W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 06:22 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Jayco Owners Club
On my trailer, there is a plate on the front left that gives the weights and tells the tire pressure I should use. I use that pressure.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:28 PM   #4

Everyone has thier method. Mine is to use the sidewall listed air pressure. tandem axle tires are subjected to sidewall stress from turning corners, as one tire on each side must slide sideways. I read post from one guy that actually rolled a tire off the rim making a spot turn, and some where the bead seal was broken, resulting in a flat tire. All were using less than maximum air pressure. If you choose to use the load/inflation air pressure charts, remember- they show the minimum air pressure for that load.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 03:52 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
ohhh
thats a toughie, trailers itires take a ton of abuse, sitting for long periods, low pressures, curbs, tigh turns etc.
if you sticker on teh trailer lists XX amount of axle weight at XXX psi for the tires. I would compare that to the tire sidewall as ray mentioned.

aslo what is you max axle wt. rating ?
you may want to go weigh the trailer to get an accurate axle weight, then you will know exactly what psi you need to run to carry the weight.
I would say that in most case you will find you need to run the tires at max inflation psi as recommened by the tire manf.

one more tidbit if I may. running tires 10 psi below rated max psi is pretty risky in an rv, mainly because we never load them lite .
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 04:57 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Having been a victim of the infamous Goodyear Marathon tread separation on a previous 5th wheel, I run the 5th wheel tires at the pressure listed on the sidewall for the maximum load rating (3750 lbs @ 110 PSIG for our Goodyear G614 RST tires on the current rig). This ensures minimum sidewall flex and heat buildup in the tire - I'm willing to live with any downsides to this high pressure operation.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 06:14 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
on motorweek last night on speed channel
pat goss was going on about tire inflation pressure
he said not to go by the tire sidewall for inflation pressure but instead go by the door post sticker on the vehicle
hmmmmmm
sorry pat , that aint smart
remeber the explorer,,, run 28 when the tire said 35
i will stay with load being carried to determine psi
and if your at max load then the psi issue should be a no brainer
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 04:04 PM   #8

One more thing to watch out for is on the rims. I have seen some rims/wheels that have a max pressure stamped on them. I am guessing it was a two piece rim. If your tire says 80psi and the rim says 55psi (like I have seen) then go by the rim. The vehicle ID plate also said 55psi. The tire has a MAX pressure, meaning don't go over this MAX pressure.

sjseng is offline   Reply With Quote