Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2012, 08:49 AM   #15

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver
If you blow a rear tire hauling a 5er around a curve with srw I hope I'm not there to have to avoid you.
I logged 1.5 million mi + in the tow recovery business
PS. If you cant avoid a vehicle in front of you than you are not operating your truck or combo with due care to avoid a collision. Just saying, its a two way street.

Beausdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2012, 08:52 AM   #16

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I swear, if i listened to some people here i would have to be driving a freightliner to tow a 20 foot pop up camper

Old 07-21-2012, 10:09 PM   #17

Hey back in the 70's I would haul an 18 wheeler with a '45 holmes 500 wrecker bed on a modified '73 f350 in addition to dozers, buildings, etc on trailers because I was paying bills. Would I think it was a smart thing to do?
NOT NOW I WOULDN'T. I would rather have twice the capacity that I need than just enough. Next time you see a camper turned to splinters in the median slow down enough to see the tow vehicle. Out of all I've scraped up with a backhoe (quite a few) one was a dually. Hey Beausdog How many tow trucks that haul half the weight of a 30-36' camper run on SRW
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:56 PM   #18
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beausdog View Post
PS. If you cant avoid a vehicle in front of you than you are not operating your truck or combo with due care to avoid a collision. Just saying, its a two way street.
I don't think you understood what Mcgyver referred to. I think he ment being beside such a a problem or in front coming towards it.
Check this for what "can" happen when using an undsized/marginal TV.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:26 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
A dually is not practical for everyone.
That may be true, but if the load requires a dually, why not get one or lower you sights and get a smaller trailer.

Ken
Old 07-22-2012, 12:27 AM   #20

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD

I don't think you understood what Mcgyver referred to. I think he ment being beside such a a problem or in front coming towards it.
Check this for what "can" happen when using an undsized/marginal TV.
Again i go back to, if you ARE within specs of your trailer and TV then you are ok....YOUR opinion of an undersized tv is warped. If it is within specs then it is fine. By law and liability. A dually isnt a bad thing but not practical for everyone and everything. Im by no means saying it's ok to go tow a DRV suite with an 1/2 ton. Just every forum you dually owners are on a high horse trip.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:28 AM   #21

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman

That may be true, but if the load requires a dually, why not get one or lower you sights and get a smaller trailer.

Ken
I agree....but if you are within your specs with a SRW than the load doesn't require a dually does it????
Old 07-22-2012, 12:31 AM   #22

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver
Hey back in the 70's I would haul an 18 wheeler with a '45 holmes 500 wrecker bed on a modified '73 f350 in addition to dozers, buildings, etc on trailers because I was paying bills. Would I think it was a smart thing to do?
NOT NOW I WOULDN'T. I would rather have twice the capacity that I need than just enough. Next time you see a camper turned to splinters in the median slow down enough to see the tow vehicle. Out of all I've scraped up with a backhoe (quite a few) one was a dually. Hey Beausdog How many tow trucks that haul half the weight of a 30-36' camper run on SRW
Goes again back to weight of the trailer or towed object. I have a 14k gvwr 42' trailer. DRV has a foot longer at a gvwr close to 22k. IT DEPENDS ON THE SPECS!!!!
Old 07-22-2012, 12:18 PM   #23
CD

Quote:
Again i go back to, if you ARE within specs of your trailer and TV then you are ok....YOUR opinion of an undersized tv is warped. If it is within specs then it is fine. By law and liability. A dually isnt a bad thing but not practical for everyone and everything. Im by no means saying it's ok to go tow a DRV suite with an 1/2 ton. Just every forum you dually owners are on a high horse trip.
I bet to differ with you about my opinion being warped. The PU I made reference to was a pre 2005 F250 towing a 3 axle 5er that I am betting was more than 35' and would possibly overload that PU when it was empty. Your F350 SWR may have as much or more capacity per the specs as my dually but I wouldn't trade you for what I use it for. I have my doubts about some of the new trucks specs because the manufactures are trying to sell trucks and some people just don't want duals. That's JMHO.
I question this forum being a good place for your adimet opinion about what "your" truck's specs are even though you state that they are your specs. There are people reading this that don't really understand all this and scan over it and think "oh my 99 F350 SRW will do that".

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:44 PM   #24

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD
I question this forum being a good place for your adimet opinion about what "your" truck's specs are even though you state that they are your specs. There are people reading this that don't really understand all this and scan over it and think "oh my 99 F350 SRW will do that".
I will rephrase, im good with what you said, the thing that bothers me is when someone asks anything about weights, and in this case, a 14k rig the are adiment that only a dually can tow that and anything else is just straight negligence. When it depends in the specs of the vehicle. I speak my specs because i know them and if anyone asks me i would be more than willing to talk them through figuring out their specs or help them research it. As i said a dually is fine but in some cases its not needed or required as implied by some.

I read on a different thread, and it was someone i believe who posted in this thread that said anything over 40' would absolutely require a dually. All i am pointing out is, people here want people to learn the proper way. Lets stop just answering them with you need a dually and teach them the the weights and specs in an explanation of how to get to the bottom of their tow vehicle capabilities. If i bought my rig then picked a tow vehicle, i might have chosen a dually but i had my vehicle and picked a trailer within the mathematical calculations based on my trucks capabilities. If the load requires a dually, thats fine, but show them how you came to that calculation that it was over, at, or near their max out point.

I will caveat this with my truck specs are mine and mine alone and in no way imply they are the same as anyone elses.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:58 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beausdog
I swear, if i listened to some people here i would have to be driving a freightliner to tow a 20 foot pop up camper
A nice M2 112, crew cab, 450hp... but if you go with the 28' Rock wood you may need a HDT.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:29 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
All i am pointing out is, people here want people to learn the proper way. Lets stop just answering them with you need a dually and teach them the the weights and specs in an explanation of how to get to the bottom of their tow vehicle capabilities.
Did you happen to notice the sticky thread at the top of this forum?

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:40 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am not saying you have to have a dually, but you do need to know your weights in order to determine if a SRW truck can pull and carry a trailer.

My 36' 5er has a GVWR of 16,050# and a pin weight of around 3200# when loaded. My truck is rated for 30,000# GCWR and 13,300# GVWR. So to make me happy, I have a dually.

But just recently I saw a Mobile Suite with a 3/4 ton Ford. It was squatting severely. The owner probably did not have a clue and listened to the salesman.

So all I ask is to weigh the truck and trailer and make the judgement if you want to be over or under on truck ratings.

Ken
Old 07-22-2012, 07:47 PM   #28

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman
I am not saying you have to have a dually, but you do need to know your weights in order to determine if a SRW truck can pull and carry a trailer.

My 36' 5er has a GVWR of 16,050# and a pin weight of around 3200# when loaded. My truck is rated for 30,000# GCWR and 13,300# GVWR. So to make me happy, I have a dually.

But just recently I saw a Mobile Suite with a 3.4 ton Ford. It was squatting severely. The owner probably did not have a clue and listened to the salesman.

So all I ask is to weigh the truck and trailer and make the judgement if you want to be over or under on truck ratings.

Ken
I would agree without hesitation with this statement! I saw an SRW 1 ton towing a 2012 open range 427bhs which GVWR is 17k or so.....i know he was over weight without question as i have the same truck. The reason i passed on that rig. You just stated exactly what im trying to say. Dont listen to the salesman, do your homework and get a rig that is within specs. I was referencing the generalized statement from another thread without calling anyone out but i did see 14,265 gvwr and a dually is absolutely needed. That was my beef as it all depends on tv an trailer options and combos and cant be generalized IMHO. There should never be a generic or general response involving this topic as everybody's TV and TT or 5er is most likely different is all im saying

Tags
towing