Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2019, 09:53 PM   #29

I've kinda been avoiding this topic. It's entirely speculation, which can certainly be fun, but it's making claims about a decade in the future. Those are pretty much always wrong, no matter what topic they are about. The particular claim in this thread though might not be. It's not about a specific change, just "the next big thing". While that claim is vague, it's actually a good one.

Big changes are kind of cyclical. Back in 2008, emissions tightened up a lot, and trucks suffered greatly from it. By 2018, those trucks basically got things straightened out. They weren't perfect, but the big issues were worked out, and they were putting out crazy amounts of power. It does make sense to get another big change in about 2028.

The issue I see with that is, what could that change be? Increasing weight capacities doesn't make sense. We're already at the limits of the truck classes, so just get a higher class truck if you need more. There's no incentive to make all trucks a higher class because you don't really change anything. You just eliminate your bottom tier 1/2 ton truck by virtue of turning them into 3/4 ton trucks. It's all the same trucks, but with different badges. And now you've got to fill the gap left by the 1/2 ton that turned into a 3/4 ton. There's really no point to that.

A change that I can understand is fuel economy increases. Better engine efficiency through opposed piston setups, or gasoline diesel hybrid engines, or even diesel electric hybrids like trains use.

No offense to Jshopes81, but hydrogen is not possible. Oil refining is the only reliable way to produce it in the quantities required, and switching to hydrogen eliminates the need for oil refining. It cuts it's own throat. Nuclear would awesome to see. I don't know how to even begin setting up a nuclear powered vehicle because of scale issues, but it would be great. I agree completely that electric is just a bandaid or stepping stone at best. It's not the answer some people make it out to be. Hybrid gasoline/diesel and electric I can see being a much better "solution" than purely electric though.

And at this point I'm rambling, so I guess I'm done with the post.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2019, 07:06 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I can see a lighter truck but not by 1,000's of pounds but by a few 100 lbs. The 2020 GM trucks are supposed to be about 300 lbs lighter. Kinda like the 2017 Ford Superduty trucks.

I can agree with electric, I can see electric power added to help get better fuel economy. This in effect would help the whole emissions of diesel engines. Less soot, fewer DEF regens, less work the complex emissions system would need to do.

I do think you will always need dually trucks to tow the big toy hauler 5th wheels. I have seen 42' toy haulers with two patios and a 12' garage area.

I see way too many pushing the limits of SRW 350/3500's with big 5ers. Their pin weight might be within the payload of the TV, BUT they have not accounted for anything else that comes off the payload.

The resistance to having a DRW as a TV seems to be great, many will do anything to convince themselves that they will be fine with a SRW.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:16 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
With the class ratings i just dont see any more "capability". With the gvwrs what they are they cant, theres just no way. All three ttucks are pretty fresh top to bottom, id say theyll run them until 2030, maybe 2035. The last superduty ran from 1999-2016 with minor tweaks.

I dont think well see electric powered trucks. Im actually starting to believe that electric is just a bandaid for gas motors. I dont believe electric is the future of vehicles. Hydrogen maybe? Nuclear? Mr fusion? If i knew id be a millionaire but i feel like electric is a stepping stone like laser disks were.
I agree 100%. My comment about no more dually was a way of saying I don’t believe any manufacturer is looking for an LT tire rated over 4K. And my comment about the Class ceiling reinforces the fact they don’t really have anywhere else to go in towing since they have already went to Ludicrous speed on tow ratings.

Who knows where the next marketing battle will be. I am doubting it is payload or towing though.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:40 AM   #32

On one hand the trend in the last 15 years has been increase power and payload. So much so the new 150/1500 series trucks can now carry and tow what 250/2500 series trucks could 15 years ago. Example - compare the 2005 Chevy 2500 with the 8.1 gas engine to the 2019 Chevy 1500 with the 6.2 gas engine.

The material being used has changed also. From mild rolled steel being stamped into body parts it is now often times aluminum. The frames on the new trucks is way better than the old frames with the switch from mild steel to high strength steel. For 2020 I think the GM trucks have use two more cross members to an already solid frame. Same for Ram.

My thought is, that increasing power and capacity is the trend. Trending up. Ford, Ram, GM will need a different mind set to change this trend. Not only that they will need different engineers. Those engineers might not even be trained yet. So with their current trend I still say electric addition to the trucks to help the gas and diesel engines achieve better fuel economy. And still think better tires with more payload are in our future.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 04:02 PM   #33

There are already LT tires that are over 4k. 295/75/18 and 285/75/18 have 4080 lb rating.
NevadaNick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 05:51 PM   #34

I have 275/65 18" E rated tires and the load capacity is 3,415lbs. per tire on my truck at max air pressure.

I will check out the bigger LT 18" tires that can carry over 4,000lbs.

Going to Tire Rack now.

Thanks for that info.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:16 PM   #35

All I can find are narly off road tires.

Load rating of 129 is 4,079 lbs.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:18 PM   #36

Quote:
I have 275/65 18" E rated tires and the load capacity is 3,415lbs. per tire on my truck at max air pressure.

I will check out the bigger LT 18" tires that can carry over 4,000lbs.

Going to Tire Rack now.

Thanks for that info.
My 36s that were on my highboy were the 36x14.50x16 super swamper radials with a 3640 rating. With the valve stems removed, the rears wouldnt flatten. The truck was a shade tall to get in the garage and letting the air out got me in and out, but those things sure were stiff.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:30 PM   #37

Not very knarly https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tir...tx-m-s/p/11298
Old 11-10-2019, 06:44 PM   #38

Quote:
All I can find are narly off road tires.

Load rating of 129 is 4,079 lbs.
Plenty of AT tires for 18" rims and 20" rims with a 4080# rating. Check Toyo and Nitto.

2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHOK
BayouBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:48 PM   #39

The biggest change coming will be electrification of drivetrains. That in turn will affect payloads, configurations, frame stiffness etc. But it won’t be 10 years. You’ll start seeming production in the next 2 to 3 years.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:53 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
The biggest change coming will be electrification of drivetrains. That in turn will affect payloads, configurations, frame stiffness etc. But it won’t be 10 years. You’ll start seeming production in the next 2 to 3 years.
I dont see it as a technology thats going anywhere, but check out lordstown motors. Someone from workhorse is buying the gm lordstown facility.

Electric might work for city dwellers, but its out for people who actually move about for the forseeable future.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:16 PM   #41

NevadaNick - thanks. You are right. Those Michelin Defenders are not narly and would make a good highway tire. If towing a 5th wheel those would be the tires to have.

Jshopes81 - you can't see a hybrid truck? Say gas engine coupled with an electric assit. The same technology as the Toyota Prius on a much larger scale. But the heavy battery will reduce payload some.

I am with you on all electric but a hybrid system I think could help a little which in a truck might be 1 or 2 mpg more.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:26 PM   #42

Chevy already had a hybrid pickup.