RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-10-2019, 08:33 PM   #43
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
I dont see it as a technology thats going anywhere, but check out lordstown motors. Someone from workhorse is buying the gm lordstown facility.

Electric might work for city dwellers, but its out for people who actually move about for the forseeable future.
Weíll know more on the 21st as the Tesla truck unveil is then. Rivian is the other player. And apparently ford will have their E-F150 out by 2022. None are hybrids though.
__________________

radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2019, 08:57 PM   #44
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 3
By the next generation of trucks,2027? Theyíll cost 125k+ Iíll buy a 2019 that will b 7yrs old for 25k. All the new technology just seems like more down time and cheaper made.they should list recalls as a line item on msrp.
__________________

Jdcjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:02 PM   #45
Senior Member
 
Itchytoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 779
A hybrid system that uses a gas or diesel engine as a generator rather than a battery bank actually makes sense. Instead of trying to store all your energy, you simply produce it as needed. Possibly with a small battery backup to store energy recouped from braking. You could even go with natural gas or propane generators, if you really wanted to.


It's just completely electric vehicles that don't make sense.
__________________
2014 F350 DRW 6.7L CC FX4 King Ranch Ruby Red Metallic 148,000 Miles 4,200 Hours
2018 Cherokee Grey Wolf 29TE | Because I'm home, no matter where I am.
2018 Honda CB650F | Because the truck leans the wrong way when I turn.
Itchytoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:39 PM   #46
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,054
I mean going anywhere further than what it is. We already have hybrids, we already have some plug in e vehicles. I dont see an electric vehicle being practical for the majority of us in the next 50yrs
Jshopes81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:44 PM   #47
Senior Member
 
tuffr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Palm Coast Florida
Posts: 6,670
In 50 years with the way technology is accelerating we will have Warp Drive and Teleportation. I hope to see it all from heaven.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:12 PM   #48
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
I mean going anywhere further than what it is. We already have hybrids, we already have some plug in e vehicles. I dont see an electric vehicle being practical for the majority of us in the next 50yrs
I donít know. With the way the technology accelerating the way it is I suspect they will not just be practical but much more preferable. And probably within 5 to 10 years. I suspect in many parts of the world you wonít be able to even buy a gas or diesel powered vehicle by 2040...or sooner. Some countries/provinces/states already have the laws in place.

Time will tell.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:31 PM   #49
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
I donít know. With the way the technology accelerating the way it is I suspect they will not just be practical but much more preferable. And probably within 5 to 10 years. I suspect in many parts of the world you wonít be able to even buy a gas or diesel powered vehicle by 2040...or sooner. Some countries/provinces/states already have the laws in place.

Time will tell.
I just dont see it. Like i said, it might be practical in the city, but i drive 100 miles a day just to and from the shop. Thats not counting any side stops and its not like im the only one in that boat.
Jshopes81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:42 PM   #50
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
I just dont see it. Like i said, it might be practical in the city, but i drive 100 miles a day just to and from the shop. Thats not counting any side stops and its not like im the only one in that boat.
Yah it may not be right for everyone. But would work for lots of people. And with lots of advantages.

Iím not sure I get the relevance of the 100 mile commute though. Even medium range EVís have ranges over 200 miles. The most popular EV has a 250 mile range. Long range EVís have 330 mile ranges and longer.

But yep. Towing is s different world. I still think youíll see 2 or 3 companyís producing half ton competitive trucks in the next 2 or 3 years.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 11:42 PM   #51
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
Yah it may not be right for everyone. But would work for lots of people. And with lots of advantages.

Iím not sure I get the relevance of the 100 mile commute though. Even medium range EVís have ranges over 200 miles. The most popular EV has a 250 mile range. Long range EVís have 330 mile ranges and longer.

But yep. Towing is s different world. I still think youíll see 2 or 3 companyís producing half ton competitive trucks in the next 2 or 3 years.
I know we will. Theyve already announced it.

The relevance of the 100 mile commute is that i drive an 8000lb truck with a ranch hand, tool box, fuel cell, and the back seat loaded with equipment. Throw all that in one of the upcoming pickups and you wont see their advertised range. Youve got to remember that those ranges are like fuel economy numbers...optimistic in a perfect world. I just had to drive to north dakota a few months ago. It wouldve taken me nearly a week to get there even with 300 mile range and there were more than a few spots we wouldve been calling for a ride. A straight electric will only be practical for a small percentage of the population for quite some time. Id say the next big thing will be wringing every last bit of efficiency out of the ice. This could include hybrid drive systems in bigger trucks to improve efficiency but not straight electric.
Jshopes81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 05:18 AM   #52
Senior Member
 
tuffr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Palm Coast Florida
Posts: 6,670
Just watched a video on the 2020 Rivian. Man, that is one futuristic looking truck. Watching the video three thoughts popped into my head.

1. What maintenance needs done on an all electric vehicle? Far less than than a combustion powered vehicle.

2. 0 - 60mph in 3 seconds...man, that is crazy fast.

3. It is rare that I see a vehicle along the side of the road disabled. I bet there will be more with all electric vehicles hitting the roads. Futuristic looking vehicles sitting along the highway out of juice is what I invision.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:17 AM   #53
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Elko, Nv
Posts: 978
Iím with Jshopes, i have a 130 mi commute, then get in a 9000 lb pickup sometimes pulling a trailer and do 1500 mi in 3 days. One section its 163 mi between gas stations, a couple more a 100 plus. Whoís going to bring me electricity when its -20 and the truck couldn't make the distance running the heater and pulling a trailer ?
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:43 AM   #54
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
I know we will. Theyve already announced it.

The relevance of the 100 mile commute is that i drive an 8000lb truck with a ranch hand, tool box, fuel cell, and the back seat loaded with equipment. Throw all that in one of the upcoming pickups and you wont see their advertised range. Youve got to remember that those ranges are like fuel economy numbers...optimistic in a perfect world. I just had to drive to north dakota a few months ago. It wouldve taken me nearly a week to get there even with 300 mile range and there were more than a few spots we wouldve been calling for a ride. A straight electric will only be practical for a small percentage of the population for quite some time. Id say the next big thing will be wringing every last bit of efficiency out of the ice. This could include hybrid drive systems in bigger trucks to improve efficiency but not straight electric.
Yah those are pretty tough conditions. Diesels excell under those types of conditions.

But I would disagree that EV trucks and cars will only be practical for a small percentage of the population I think just the opposite. Most people donít need vehicles to hold up in those kind of conditions.

I think you are right though. There will be lots of small improvements adding up to bigger improovements on the internal combustion engine. The next decade will be interesting.

Cheers.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:21 AM   #55
Senior Member
 
tuffr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Palm Coast Florida
Posts: 6,670
Just like trucks can carry an auxiliary fuel tank in the bed of the truck it could carry an auxiliary battery to help the range on long trips.

I am pretty good keeping my lap top, cell phone, spot light all charged up. Just one more thing to keep charged would be the truck. Come home after work and plug it in until the next morning. It will need to charge both the vehicle and auxiliary battery 6 to 8 hours.

On one hand it would be cool to charge the battery from home and not need to spend time at a gas station.

Has anyone calculated the cost of electricity vs diesel or gasoline? I have not. I saved electricity by using LED lights but use more electricity by having a router, cell phone, laptop always plugged in.

Like I can go 16 miles with a gallon of diesel for $2.90. How much would electricity cost?
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:26 AM   #56
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Elko, Nv
Posts: 978
Use your laptop for 8-12 hours without plugging it in and then add another few hours in the mix before you can charge it.
__________________

NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is This Going to be the Next Big Thing? Mekanic Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 18 06-14-2014 07:39 PM
Seabreeze 2030 Green Jimmy 5th Wheel Discussion 0 11-17-2009 10:50 PM
1999 SeaBreeze 2030 slide adjustment garryb442 National RV Owner's Forum 2 05-11-2009 12:47 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×