RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2019, 10:52 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Just like trucks can carry an auxiliary fuel tank in the bed of the truck it could carry an auxiliary battery to help the range on long trips.

I am pretty good keeping my lap top, cell phone, spot light all charged up. Just one more thing to keep charged would be the truck. Come home after work and plug it in until the next morning. It will need to charge both the vehicle and auxiliary battery 6 to 8 hours.

On one hand it would be cool to charge the battery from home and not need to spend time at a gas station.

Has anyone calculated the cost of electricity vs diesel or gasoline? I have not. I saved electricity by using LED lights but use more electricity by having a router, cell phone, laptop always plugged in.

Like I can go 16 miles with a gallon of diesel for $2.90. How much would electricity cost?
Well, our EVís are not trucks so that will change things somewhat. But both our Electric cars go about 6.7 km on a KW of electricity. (That is the lifetime average after 4 years). But highways are slower where we are so probably better to tone that down a bit as speed sucks up power just like in a gas or diesel car. We pay 11 cents all in for a KW of power. You can figure it out from there. Our most common once per week commute is about 110 km. That costs us around 1.80 ish. Again. These are lifetime averages over 4 years. It takes more in really cold and really hot weather for climate control but thatís in the average. Our car has a heat pump so unless itís below zero C the heater draw is actually not to bad. Where we live thatís only for 2 or 3 months of the year and we quite often are travelling abroad during that time. Brrrrr. Just keeping it real.

radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2019, 11:46 AM   #58

Wow, that is much much better than I though. Just in a rough estimate if you spend $100 on gasoline or diesel you will only spend $14 in electricity to travel the same distance. Or about 1/8th as much.

I watched a video on the new diesel truck frames. You should see the exhaust system as it is a complex system of checks and balance trying to eliminate soot and pollution. I saw about 6 sensors trying to monitor the exhaust. And the exhaust system is no longer a straight pipe. I bet the exhaust system on a diesel truck weighs 200 or 300lbs.

Thanks for posting that info.

tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 12:15 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Wow, that is much much better than I though. Just in a rough estimate if you spend $100 on gasoline or diesel you will only spend $14 in electricity to travel the same distance. Or about 1/8th as much.

I watched a video on the new diesel truck frames. You should see the exhaust system as it is a complex system of checks and balance trying to eliminate soot and pollution. I saw about 6 sensors trying to monitor the exhaust. And the exhaust system is no longer a straight pipe. I bet the exhaust system on a diesel truck weighs 200 or 300lbs.

Thanks for posting that info.
Interesting that you came up with the 1/8 price for fuel. That is what the BC goverment says as well.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:51 PM   #60

Wait a minute, your only regular commute is once a week and 110km? Whats your annual mileage or kilometerage or whatever? It sounds like you guys dont drive a whole lot. Retired? Work from home?
Jshopes81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 12:55 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
Wait a minute, your only regular commute is once a week and 110km? Whats your annual mileage or kilometerage or whatever? It sounds like you guys dont drive a whole lot. Retired? Work from home?
Nope. Our daily commute or total distances is about 30- 35 km ish. The 110 km is a once a week run to Costco etc in a bigger shopping area. It tends to get longer in summer if we are winery touring. .
Old 11-11-2019, 01:06 PM   #62

Thats a really short commute. I can see why an ev would work for you.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:11 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
Thats a really short commute. I can see why an ev would work for you.
Yepir. The average North American commute is more like 60 km. I have days where I do 200 km but generally speaking my yearly mileage is around 9000 -12000 km per year. Not complaining. . Both our EVís are rather short range. We switch out cars every 5 or 6 years just for the new tech and safety features. This year we will probably get a mid range EV. Probably overkill for what it has to do but no one really builds a short range EV anymore soooooo. .
Old 11-11-2019, 07:55 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
I have days where I do 200 km but generally speaking my yearly mileage is around 9000 -12000 km per year. Not complaining. .
That's actually pretty darn impressive. That's about half of the average in the US. Heck, I've put more miles than that on my truck in some months. I've done nearly three times that since May. I'm looking at about 30,000 miles overall this year. (48,000ish KM) I envy you. I wish I could get away with such low mileage. My vehicles would hold their value much better.
Itchytoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:06 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchytoe View Post
That's actually pretty darn impressive. That's about half of the average in the US. Heck, I've put more miles than that on my truck in some months. I've done nearly three times that since May. I'm looking at about 30,000 miles overall this year. (48,000ish KM) I envy you. I wish I could get away with such low mileage. My vehicles would hold their value much better.
No kidding, my work dodge is a 17 and has almost 110k on it, i put a little on the bike, plus 6k on the 6oh. Radar, i hope you realize how lucky you are.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:19 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchytoe View Post
Yah we feel fortunate. We are still working seasonally. Mid 50,s But getting ready to retire soon. Maybe next fall. A few years ago we made a concerted effort to find a nice townhouse in a nice community and right down town so we could walk and bike to everything. It also had to be lock and leave so we wouldn’t have insurance or security worries while being away for extended periods. We travel...A LOT. Overseas and on the continent, so lock and leave is important. We found our Nexus and the side benefit is having to do a lot less kilometers as we are blocks to everything. It doesn’t really save us any money as we spend it all on tromping all over Europe and Africa and we usually spend part of the winter at our property in SoCal. . Way fun.

We’ll probably do more miles in the car starting next year. A mid range EV will probably be handy. Who knows. Maybe we’ll get a long range EV. Right now the only manufacturer making long range EV’s is Tesla and only some models. Like I said. Probably overkill for us though. We seldom travel more than 500 - 550 kilometers per day. Most mid range EV’s are suitable for that with a lunch time charge break. We like the Tesla model 3 though. Just a little too low to the ground. Harder egress and ingress. Great car though.

We have been driving electric for almost five years. Not only is the fuel cheap there is virtually no maintenance. Washer fluid and wipers. And rarely charge anywhere but home.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:29 PM   #67

Lucky they are. I put approx 30k a year to get to work and then put 40k on the work truck in a year.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:45 PM   #68

Do you ever work or just drive. That is a ton of miles and you would wear out a EV. Especially in bitter cold and then sweltering heat.

When I worked in Pittsburgh I took the bus and or trolly into downtown to work. I was putting 8,000 miles on my personal vehicle a year for 5 years.

When I moved to Columbus Ohio which had much better roads than Pittsburgh I would put 14,000 miles a year on my personal vehicles. Close to 7,000 miles each as I was a DINK and had two vehicles and a little runabout boat.

That reminds me, I am seeing electric powered boats with a roof full of solar panels.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:57 PM   #69

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Why is it that semis are going to super singles and motorhomes and DRWs are not?
Spoke with a trucker recently. He said he was paying 1800 a tire for the singles.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:59 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Spoke with a trucker recently. He said he was paying 1800 a tire for the singles.
Not an expert on these kind of things but just thinking of our pusher. It seems there would be some loss of refundancy as well. Course, the fronts are singles soooooo. .