RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2019, 09:14 PM   #71

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
Not an expert on these kind of things but just thinking of our pusher. It seems there would be some loss of refundancy as well. Course, the fronts are singles soooooo. .
I was thinking of the cost of a pair of tires and a new set of rims. $$$ Then the tires ageing out in 7 to 10 years. A replacement tire is currently around 600 so in 10 years we would have to save about 1200 in fuel just to cover the cost of the difference in tires.

(1800 - (600 * 2) = 600 *2

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2019, 05:36 AM   #72

TFL just posted a video on Electric trucks. Ronan and Tommy were doing the sit down at their table and telling us what they know.

Tommy thinks electric trucks like Rivian, Tesla, Ford or Chevy are going to be 'niche' vehicles and will not compete with the gas/diesel trucks. Ronan is not sure what will happen. He says towing with these trucks will not be visible. Said it takes an hour to charge. That towing zaps the power...duh. Ronan said by 2/3rds. So if a vehicle had a 100 mile range towing it would have a 33 mile range.

I think these trucks will be great for local delivery guys, and people going to the local grocery store. Keyword is 'Local'. It will cut into combustion powered vehicles a few percent.

Two thoughts I had watching the video.

1. We really need a magic battery.
2. 125 years ago thinking of using oil to power cars was a great idea.

You can watch the YouTube video and see if you can get more info from it.

tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 05:53 AM   #73

It sounds like they feel the same way i do.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:02 AM   #74

Contractors will probably live em. 300 to 400 km of range. Built in 240 volt and 120 volt power. Nice cool cab in the summer for lunch breaks. Charge it at home overnight. Low maintenance. Crazy performance and handling. They’ll find their place with contractors if the price is under 70,000.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:07 AM   #75

Yep, no doubt electric trucks will be the next big thing no matter if successful or not. Like at one time CNG was going to be our saving grace back in the 1990's if I remember the right decade. They do make sense for local jobs in certain types niche' industries. Think pizza delivery or flower delivery. Especially if the vehicle can be plugged in while at the store.

There are several advantages of electric vehicles for people in the city also.

What makes this even more interesting we will start to see electric trucks soon. Like in a year. Oh another thought is I can leave my gas powered truck with a 3/4 tank of fuel for sit 1 month. When I get in it it still has 3/4 tank of fuel. An electric vehicle lose power just sitting still.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:23 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Yep, no doubt electric trucks will be the next big thing no matter if successful or not. Like at one time CNG was going to be our saving grace back in the 1990's if I remember the right decade. They do make sense for local jobs in certain types niche' industries. Think pizza delivery or flower delivery. Especially if the vehicle can be plugged in while at the store.

There are several advantages of electric vehicles for people in the city also.

What makes this even more interesting we will start to see electric trucks soon. Like in a year. Oh another thought is I can leave my gas powered truck with a 3/4 tank of fuel for sit 1 month. When I get in it it still has 3/4 tank of fuel. An electric vehicle lose power just sitting still.
Hmmm. On that last point re losing power just sitting there. Kinda depends how the driver sets it up. If they leave camera surveillance and other features on etc then yes it will lose power as it is using power to run those features. We usually leave our car charged to around 50 percent when we leave the country for extended periods. The car goes to sleep soon after we leave it. Two months later we come back and the car may have lost 1 percent. Sometimes not even that.

I won’t disagree with your statement but will qualify it with a “it depends”. The phenomenon is know as vampire drain and depends a lot on what features are left running and how much the owner “wakes it up” with the remote app.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:57 PM   #77

I am just going by the litihum batteries in my spot light that even though it is off it looses power. My cell phone if I power it off for the night then power it up the next morning it will loose a few % of power.

But a bit more battery magic could go a long way in making EV more attractive to a wider populis.

Litihum Ion is a big improvement over Nickle Metal Hydride batteries so we need another jump in battery technology.

I just watched a video where a Tesla was being towed by a truck to recharge the Tesla battery. It worked!!! This could open up a new business of towing EV's on sections of roadway. In this test the Tesla was towed one lap around a the track. That energy was enough for the Tesla to make a lap on its own. Thinking if you tow a EV 100 miles it then could go 100 miles on its own.

Uber towing ???
Old 11-13-2019, 03:47 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I am just going by the litihum batteries in my spot light that even though it is off it looses power. My cell phone if I power it off for the night then power it up the next morning it will loose a few % of power.

But a bit more battery magic could go a long way in making EV more attractive to a wider populis.

Litihum Ion is a big improvement over Nickle Metal Hydride batteries so we need another jump in battery technology.

I just watched a video where a Tesla was being towed by a truck to recharge the Tesla battery. It worked!!! This could open up a new business of towing EV's on sections of roadway. In this test the Tesla was towed one lap around a the track. That energy was enough for the Tesla to make a lap on its own. Thinking if you tow a EV 100 miles it then could go 100 miles on its own.

Uber towing ???
I saw that clip. Kinda interesting although scary from the warranty point of view.

One thing you might find interesting is the hill top charge mode some EV manufacturers include. Basically if your battery is charged over 90 percent you have limited regen going down a hill as there just anywhere for the power to go when the battery is full or almost full. Essentially all a hilltop max charge selection does is limit the full charge for a certain amount so if you live on the top of a mountain and you come down to the valley to work you can still benefit from the regen on the way down and not have to use your brakes. Neither of ours has this but then again we seldom charge our battery above 80 percent unless we are headed on a road trip. After driving my car for four years I kinda know what my daily average is. Pretty much about 6 kw per day. I plug in every day Our outside charge station is a 3 kWh unit. The cars charge timers charge it from 1 to 3 in the morning everyday. I am usually in the car around 07:30 and the car automatically goes into cabin preheat mode every morning 10 minutes before that. That way the steering wheel is always warm, seats warm and all the windows defrosted. If I know we are going on a road trip I just use the phone app to overide it and charge to 100 percent. But when we do this the lack of regen is obvious for the first 5 or 10 miles and I actually have to use my brakes more. . First world problems. .
Old 11-14-2019, 04:23 PM   #79

The more tires you have on the road, the lower the MPG. Back in the 80's there was a push to go to super singles. Everything with dual wheels was getting changed over.
The big rigs were suddenly experiencing roll overs. It cause was determined to be the super singles had a narrower outside, tire to tire, width then duals. As a result trailers and dump trucks were rolling over.
For new vehicles there was a wider track axle available, but the damage was done and the drivers wanted no part of super singles.
The dust has settled and it appears the push is on again.
As for MH's, they are built on medium duty chassis and there does not seem to be as much interest in this size vehicle for SS.
The aftermarket for SS on dualies has always been there but not very active.
There is also the issue of having two different size tires front and rear in regards to having a spare tire.
If I was designing a MH and starting with a clean sheet of paper, I would be looking at super singles front and rear, using unibody construction, as used on busses. Rear engine mounted crosswise to limit the weight hanging behind the rear axle. The interior and tanks etc. would be positioned to balance the weight between the front and rear axles.
The finished product would be lighter, more nimble, comfortable to ride in, and require less fuel.
Easy to say, cost to design and setup production, probably prohibitive.
Treker Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:25 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treker Vic View Post
The more tires you have on the road, the lower the MPG. Back in the 80's there was a push to go to super singles. Everything with dual wheels was getting changed over.
The big rigs were suddenly experiencing roll overs. It cause was determined to be the super singles had a narrower outside, tire to tire, width then duals. As a result trailers and dump trucks were rolling over.
For new vehicles there was a wider track axle available, but the damage was done and the drivers wanted no part of super singles.
The dust has settled and it appears the push is on again.
As for MH's, they are built on medium duty chassis and there does not seem to be as much interest in this size vehicle for SS.
The aftermarket for SS on dualies has always been there but not very active.
There is also the issue of having two different size tires front and rear in regards to having a spare tire.
If I was designing a MH and starting with a clean sheet of paper, I would be looking at super singles front and rear, using unibody construction, as used on busses. Rear engine mounted crosswise to limit the weight hanging behind the rear axle. The interior and tanks etc. would be positioned to balance the weight between the front and rear axles.
The finished product would be lighter, more nimble, comfortable to ride in, and require less fuel.
Easy to say, cost to design and setup production, probably prohibitive.
Informative post. Thank you.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:56 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
25lbs is pretty negligible when youre grossing 80k
Where do you come up with 25lbs?
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:59 PM   #82

We run super singles on the fronts of some of our trucks. Im not a huge fan. They stick pretty well due to the contact patch size but they are pretty loud. I like a skinny straight ribbed steer tire better.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:08 PM   #83

Super singles do carry the same weight as duals, they are used on heavy tankers as well as general freight haulers. The reason they are going to super singles is fuel economy, there is less rolling resistance, and there is a weight saving over duals. The only draw back as mentioned is if you have a flat you’re sitting on the side of the road awaiting help. On a truck tire a super single weighs less than a pair of duals but weighs more than a single dual so I know I won’t be changing one.
Grandpa5x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 05:52 AM   #84

I think you’re confusing the oversized front steer tires used on construction trucks as super singles. Super Singles have a very wide flat surface probably 16-18” wide while the oversized steer tire is probably 10” wide.

Grandpa5x is offline   Reply With Quote