Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2019, 04:57 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa5x View Post
I think you’re confusing the oversized front steer tires used on construction trucks as super singles. Super Singles have a very wide flat surface probably 16-18” wide while the oversized steer tire is probably 10” wide.
Well, the front tires are 425 something 22.5s and the wheels are alcoas that say super single on the wheel.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2019, 08:34 AM   #86

Before electric trucks or cars for that matter are going to make it there will have to be many changes.
1. mileages are advertised at optimum, flat roads, full charge, new battery.
2. electricity supplies. In this country most electricity is coal, natural gas, nuclear, oil.
3. utility companies will have to quit charging in tiers that go up with more use. They will also have to not shut the power off for 4 days like they did in CA.
4. electric cars will have become lighter,(mid size Tesla 5000)
5. the cost of driving will have to be better, initial car cost, battery replacement cost.
6. Charge times will have to be less, Tesla shows faster times for a supercharger but it is not 100% charge, so it doesn't match miles between charge advertisement.
7. utility companies will have to allow full payback for solar systems installed on private residences.
8. true cost will have to include power cost on the road and road taxes which are often diverted on they get their hands on it.
9. tire wear will need to improve, tire manufacturers are trying work on that but it may equate to higher prices.
For now it is city and plug in at home without tiered pricing and small car. The list is big enough and is proven with only 2% of the market share.
A funny example is here in my local area UPS has some electric trucks, they have a standby gas truck for each one that they send out with with a tow truck to replace them at various times of the day. Sounds good though saying they have some electric trucks, just do not tell the whole story. They of course do not come to my location in the Sierra foothills.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:31 AM   #87

Some grid regions are pushing 40% renewable. Most is wind, but mega solar is growing fast. Nuclear is sometimes included in the renewable %.

Annual registration fees are ballooning to fund local roads instead of gas tax.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:41 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
So, what do you think they will do for the next generation of SRW 250/350 2500/3500 series trucks? New trucks in 2020 so by 2025 or 2026 they should be ready for the next batch of improved trucks I would think.

I do not see more power really. Probably 1,000(ish) ft lbs of torque is plenty. I do no see 12 speed transmissions either. The frames are already rock solid.

So in the spirit of increasing capability what is their next big thing?

Just trying to foresee the next generation of trucks past 2020.
Dynamic suspension!!!!!!
Either electric or some other source. With the ability to ride smooth and quite empty but stiffen to allow large capacity.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:50 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
Some grid regions are pushing 40% renewable. Most is wind, but mega solar is growing fast. Nuclear is sometimes included in the renewable %.

Annual registration fees are ballooning to fund local roads instead of gas tax.
Well in CA both have ballooned but not being spent for roads. That doesn’t stop the politicians from charging a tax on electricity claiming it is for roads, and how will one separate that at home?
Mega solar hasn’t seen all the costs yet, those systems need replacement and repairs. When they say some grid areas are pushing 40% are they talking megawatts? What percentage of the U.S. total is that anyway? The repair costs on wind are enormous. As with most things and especially electricity money rules.
I think a big thing is the ease of waste. Just flip a switch the power and the money flows and you don’t feel it until the bill comes. Often times those flipping the switch never feel it.
Old 11-16-2019, 02:25 PM   #90

I like dynamic suspension as that is needed to make a rough riding truck ride smoother.

I just saw that the 2020 Ford 250/350 will not be that dramatic as I had hoped. Unlike the 2019 Ram 2500/3500 or 2020 GM 2500/3500.

So the next big thing will be a noticable improvment in the Ford trucks.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 10:29 PM   #91

where is the electric going to come from to run these rigs. We have a gas power plant in a rural area near here that pollutes our air to send power to large citys so they have cleaner air, No coal, no dams and no nuclear.
gibbyid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 11:21 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbyid View Post
where is the electric going to come from to run these rigs. We have a gas power plant in a rural area near here that pollutes our air to send power to large citys so they have cleaner air, No coal, no dams and no nuclear.
Live near a coal fired plant for any length of time and youd be glad for the fresh, clean air.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 07:48 AM   #93

That has been my point all along. The way I see it price, ease of refueling, and overall compatibility will control fuel usage .
After all when you get to a campsite are you going to run your generator on electricity? Maybe you will get power from your electric truck . Your camping distance will be severely limited. Forget going in the back country. Too much hype about electric everything.