Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2019, 07:33 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
I dont see it as a technology thats going anywhere, but check out lordstown motors. Someone from workhorse is buying the gm lordstown facility.

Electric might work for city dwellers, but its out for people who actually move about for the forseeable future.
We’ll know more on the 21st as the Tesla truck unveil is then. Rivian is the other player. And apparently ford will have their E-F150 out by 2022. None are hybrids though.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2019, 07:57 PM   #44

By the next generation of trucks,2027? They’ll cost 125k+ I’ll buy a 2019 that will b 7yrs old for 25k. All the new technology just seems like more down time and cheaper made.they should list recalls as a line item on msrp.
Jdcjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:02 PM   #45

A hybrid system that uses a gas or diesel engine as a generator rather than a battery bank actually makes sense. Instead of trying to store all your energy, you simply produce it as needed. Possibly with a small battery backup to store energy recouped from braking. You could even go with natural gas or propane generators, if you really wanted to.

It's just completely electric vehicles that don't make sense.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:39 PM   #46

I mean going anywhere further than what it is. We already have hybrids, we already have some plug in e vehicles. I dont see an electric vehicle being practical for the majority of us in the next 50yrs
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:44 PM   #47

In 50 years with the way technology is accelerating we will have Warp Drive and Teleportation. I hope to see it all from heaven.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:12 PM   #48

Quote:
I mean going anywhere further than what it is. We already have hybrids, we already have some plug in e vehicles. I dont see an electric vehicle being practical for the majority of us in the next 50yrs
I don’t know. With the way the technology accelerating the way it is I suspect they will not just be practical but much more preferable. And probably within 5 to 10 years. I suspect in many parts of the world you won’t be able to even buy a gas or diesel powered vehicle by 2040...or sooner. Some countries/provinces/states already have the laws in place.

Time will tell.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:31 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
I don’t know. With the way the technology accelerating the way it is I suspect they will not just be practical but much more preferable. And probably within 5 to 10 years. I suspect in many parts of the world you won’t be able to even buy a gas or diesel powered vehicle by 2040...or sooner. Some countries/provinces/states already have the laws in place.

Time will tell.
I just dont see it. Like i said, it might be practical in the city, but i drive 100 miles a day just to and from the shop. Thats not counting any side stops and its not like im the only one in that boat.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:42 PM   #50

Quote:
I just dont see it. Like i said, it might be practical in the city, but i drive 100 miles a day just to and from the shop. Thats not counting any side stops and its not like im the only one in that boat.
Yah it may not be right for everyone. But would work for lots of people. And with lots of advantages.

I’m not sure I get the relevance of the 100 mile commute though. Even medium range EV’s have ranges over 200 miles. The most popular EV has a 250 mile range. Long range EV’s have 330 mile ranges and longer.

But yep. Towing is s different world. I still think you’ll see 2 or 3 company’s producing half ton competitive trucks in the next 2 or 3 years.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:42 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
Yah it may not be right for everyone. But would work for lots of people. And with lots of advantages.

I’m not sure I get the relevance of the 100 mile commute though. Even medium range EV’s have ranges over 200 miles. The most popular EV has a 250 mile range. Long range EV’s have 330 mile ranges and longer.

But yep. Towing is s different world. I still think you’ll see 2 or 3 company’s producing half ton competitive trucks in the next 2 or 3 years.
I know we will. Theyve already announced it.

The relevance of the 100 mile commute is that i drive an 8000lb truck with a ranch hand, tool box, fuel cell, and the back seat loaded with equipment. Throw all that in one of the upcoming pickups and you wont see their advertised range. Youve got to remember that those ranges are like fuel economy numbers...optimistic in a perfect world. I just had to drive to north dakota a few months ago. It wouldve taken me nearly a week to get there even with 300 mile range and there were more than a few spots we wouldve been calling for a ride. A straight electric will only be practical for a small percentage of the population for quite some time. Id say the next big thing will be wringing every last bit of efficiency out of the ice. This could include hybrid drive systems in bigger trucks to improve efficiency but not straight electric.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:18 AM   #52

Just watched a video on the 2020 Rivian. Man, that is one futuristic looking truck. Watching the video three thoughts popped into my head.

1. What maintenance needs done on an all electric vehicle? Far less than than a combustion powered vehicle.

2. 0 - 60mph in 3 seconds...man, that is crazy fast.

3. It is rare that I see a vehicle along the side of the road disabled. I bet there will be more with all electric vehicles hitting the roads. Futuristic looking vehicles sitting along the highway out of juice is what I invision.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:17 AM   #53

I’m with Jshopes, i have a 130 mi commute, then get in a 9000 lb pickup sometimes pulling a trailer and do 1500 mi in 3 days. One section its 163 mi between gas stations, a couple more a 100 plus. Who’s going to bring me electricity when its -20 and the truck couldn't make the distance running the heater and pulling a trailer ?
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 06:43 AM   #54

Quote:
I know we will. Theyve already announced it.

The relevance of the 100 mile commute is that i drive an 8000lb truck with a ranch hand, tool box, fuel cell, and the back seat loaded with equipment. Throw all that in one of the upcoming pickups and you wont see their advertised range. Youve got to remember that those ranges are like fuel economy numbers...optimistic in a perfect world. I just had to drive to north dakota a few months ago. It wouldve taken me nearly a week to get there even with 300 mile range and there were more than a few spots we wouldve been calling for a ride. A straight electric will only be practical for a small percentage of the population for quite some time. Id say the next big thing will be wringing every last bit of efficiency out of the ice. This could include hybrid drive systems in bigger trucks to improve efficiency but not straight electric.
Yah those are pretty tough conditions. Diesels excell under those types of conditions.

But I would disagree that EV trucks and cars will only be practical for a small percentage of the population I think just the opposite. Most people don’t need vehicles to hold up in those kind of conditions.

I think you are right though. There will be lots of small improvements adding up to bigger improovements on the internal combustion engine. The next decade will be interesting.

Cheers.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:21 AM   #55

Just like trucks can carry an auxiliary fuel tank in the bed of the truck it could carry an auxiliary battery to help the range on long trips.

I am pretty good keeping my lap top, cell phone, spot light all charged up. Just one more thing to keep charged would be the truck. Come home after work and plug it in until the next morning. It will need to charge both the vehicle and auxiliary battery 6 to 8 hours.

On one hand it would be cool to charge the battery from home and not need to spend time at a gas station.

Has anyone calculated the cost of electricity vs diesel or gasoline? I have not. I saved electricity by using LED lights but use more electricity by having a router, cell phone, laptop always plugged in.

Like I can go 16 miles with a gallon of diesel for $2.90. How much would electricity cost?
Old 11-11-2019, 09:26 AM   #56

Use your laptop for 8-12 hours without plugging it in and then add another few hours in the mix before you can charge it.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote