RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-06-2019, 03:06 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
tuffr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Palm Coast Florida
Posts: 6,706
Next big thing, probably by 2027 or 2030.

IMHO - the 2020 trucks are really capable trucks. Stiffer frames, more carrying capacity on the hitch and rear axle. I am pretty sure I saw the 2020 GM 3500 SRW trucks with 7,600lb axle rating. If that is the case now the tires are the weak point with SRW trucks.

I think the next step will be 19.5" tires on SRW trucks by 2030, or some type of tire improvment.

I say this because I think they are big enough. A wheelbase of 160" makes a long enough truck. I test drove a Ram 2500 4 x 4 Mega Cab yesterday. That truck is crazy big. I think the 2020 GM trucks are taller.

That leaves bigger axles and better tires on the future SRW trucks.
__________________

tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2019, 03:18 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
TonyMac's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Layton, Utah
Posts: 2,878
Why is it that semis are going to super singles and motorhomes and DRWs are not?
__________________

__________________
Cheers,
TonyMac
2006 Monaco Safari Cheetah 40PMT
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 03:49 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Why is it that semis are going to super singles and motorhomes and DRWs are not?
I saw alot of super singles back around like 06, havent seen many lately. I know they were supposed to have higher load rating and better fuel economy.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 04:15 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
I saw alot of super singles back around like 06, havent seen many lately. I know they were supposed to have higher load rating and better fuel economy.
Less weight equals more pay load
__________________
2016 Tuscany 42GX
F150 KR or Escape Toad
lwmcguire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 04:20 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
IMHO - the 2020 trucks are really capable trucks. Stiffer frames, more carrying capacity on the hitch and rear axle. I am pretty sure I saw the 2020 GM 3500 SRW trucks with 7,600lb axle rating. If that is the case now the tires are the weak point with SRW trucks.

I think the next step will be 19.5" tires on SRW trucks by 2030, or some type of tire improvment.

I say this because I think they are big enough. A wheelbase of 160" makes a long enough truck. I test drove a Ram 2500 4 x 4 Mega Cab yesterday. That truck is crazy big. I think the 2020 GM trucks are taller.

That leaves bigger axles and better tires on the future SRW trucks.
Some folks get 19.5 after market wheels to get the 16 ply 19.5

You can match diameters so it works well
__________________
2016 Tuscany 42GX
F150 KR or Escape Toad
lwmcguire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 05:00 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
tuffr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Palm Coast Florida
Posts: 6,706
I watched a YouTube video where a kid took off dually wheels and put on super singles. To me, that just might be the answer for the rear of the 2030 SRW truck.

Regular 'E' rated tires on the front and super singles on the back.

Oh wait, before super singles on the back they will probably go to 19.5" tires.

I see most of the time hooking up 5th wheels will remove weight from the front axle so only the rear will need to carry more weight.

Let me throw this out there - do you guys see any more crazy power coming from the diesel engine or is the diesel engine dead in the year 2030?
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 05:30 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Less weight equals more pay load
25lbs is pretty negligible when youre grossing 80k
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 07:44 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
tuffr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Palm Coast Florida
Posts: 6,706
I am talking about LDT's not HDT's.

But I can see the next progression in my crystal ball.

2025 - SRW trucks come with 'E' rated tires on the front and 19.5" tires in the rear that can carry 8,000lbs.

2030 - SRW trucks come with 'E' rated tires on the front and 22.5" tires on the rear that can carry 10,000lbs.

All dually trucks by 2030 will have 22.5" dual rear wheels on the back.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:28 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I am talking about LDT's not HDT's.

But I can see the next progression in my crystal ball.

2025 - SRW trucks come with 'E' rated tires on the front and 19.5" tires in the rear that can carry 8,000lbs.

2030 - SRW trucks come with 'E' rated tires on the front and 22.5" tires on the rear that can carry 10,000lbs.

All dually trucks by 2030 will have 22.5" dual rear wheels on the back.
As much as I hope your crystal ball is correct, there is a posse of politicians that hope to get their way and fuel burning vehicles will be gone by 2030. The state of California is already starting to make it uncomfortable to buy and license RVs. We all know they are the "woke" state and many others will blindly follow.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:58 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I am talking about LDT's not HDT's.

But I can see the next progression in my crystal ball.

2025 - SRW trucks come with 'E' rated tires on the front and 19.5" tires in the rear that can carry 8,000lbs.

2030 - SRW trucks come with 'E' rated tires on the front and 22.5" tires on the rear that can carry 10,000lbs.

All dually trucks by 2030 will have 22.5" dual rear wheels on the back.
https://www.commercialtrucktrader.co...125-5010021908

The future is here.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:10 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
tuffr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Palm Coast Florida
Posts: 6,706
mtofell - you are probably right unfortunately. One bad election cycle could be catastrophic for fossil fuel powered vehicles. The Green New Deal is in our future I think. No more over weight Americans as we will ride a bicycle or walk everywhere.

Not sure how we power lights and the coffee maker. Hope still electricity.

What I am hoping is as more and more electric vehicles hit the roadways the cheaper fossil fuels will get. At some point we should hit a good balance. Maybe 75% electric and 25% fossil fuel.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:47 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
L.C.Gray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Deep in the Heart of Texas
Posts: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Why is it that semis are going to super singles and motorhomes and DRWs are not?
Because the tire manufacturers do not recommend super singles for single rear axle applications, only for tandem axles.

I looked into going super single when I built my hauler and was told this by representatives from both the wheel and tire companies.
__________________
"Cracker Box" 2007 Jayco Greyhawk 33DS on a Chevrolet C5500 Kodiak
L.C.Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:26 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 559
There is no reason to go with 19.5 on any one ton DRW. The Class III is limited to 14,000 pound GVWR-easily handled by the current E range tires. The other problem with 19.5s and other commercial sizes is the harsh ride that most buyers of SRW trucks would not tolerate.

The F450 is downrated to 14k because Ford refused (smartly) to put a ridiculous and unsafe 34,000 pound tow rating on a one ton chassis.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:58 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
TonyMac's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Layton, Utah
Posts: 2,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhooker View Post
There is no reason to go with 19.5 on any one ton DRW. The Class III is limited to 14,000 pound GVWR-easily handled by the current E range tires. The other problem with 19.5s and other commercial sizes is the harsh ride that most buyers of SRW trucks would not tolerate.

The F450 is downrated to 14k because Ford refused (smartly) to put a ridiculous and unsafe 34,000 pound tow rating on a one ton chassis.
Again, no one is talking about replacing a SRW with super singles. We are talking about using a super single in place of a DRW. Harsh ride is one point. But the onslaught of super singles with those professionals who do this for a living tells me they are better in one way or several; money primarily, but maybe ride, safety, etc. They present a narrower width from truck left to right but I would think that is bad for lateral stability. I would think a DRW would win for safety, having that other tire to help get you to a safe place where both then could be replaced. But there is some reason the trucking industry is embracing these SSs when they are not mandated and require such a hefty investment.

Truckers, what say you?
__________________

__________________
Cheers,
TonyMac
2006 Monaco Safari Cheetah 40PMT
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is This Going to be the Next Big Thing? Mekanic Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 18 06-14-2014 07:39 PM
Seabreeze 2030 Green Jimmy 5th Wheel Discussion 0 11-17-2009 10:50 PM
1999 SeaBreeze 2030 slide adjustment garryb442 National RV Owner's Forum 2 05-11-2009 12:47 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×