Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2013, 05:23 PM   #1

Nice trip to scale today

Weighed the TT with the new truck setup. Went pretty well I think.
2006 Dodge 3500 SRW with my 2012 Keystone Sprinter

Truck only
Steer - 4860
Drive - 3540

Truck and TT with no WD bars
Steer - 4400
Drive - 5100
Trailer - 7840

Truck and TT with WD on 7 links
Steer - 4780
Drive - 4600
Trailer - 8000

According to my calculations the TT by itself is 8980 which is way less than I was expecting. The only weight that isn't in it right now is food for camping. We stock for each trip.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2013, 03:40 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Don't forget to check the height. Comes in handy with tunnels, bridges, and aprons (shelters) at fuel stations and drive thru's

Old 05-05-2013, 10:53 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenrichs View Post
Weighed the TT with the new truck setup. Went pretty well I think.
2006 Dodge 3500 SRW with my 2012 Keystone Sprinter

Truck only
Steer - 4860
Drive - 3540

Truck and TT with no WD bars
Steer - 4400
Drive - 5100
Trailer - 7840
GVW w/ TT 9,500
GVW w/o TT = 8,400
-----------------
Tongue weight = 1,100 pounds
==============

GCW w/o WD = 17,340
GVW w/o TT = 8,400
-----------
gross trailer weight = 8,940
==============

1100 divided by 8940 = 12.3% hitch weight. Very close to average of 12.5%, so apparently you did a good job of properly loading the weight in the trailer.

Quote:
Truck and TT with WD on 7 links
Steer - 4780
Drive - 4600
Trailer - 8000
Hitch weight distributed to the front axle = 380 pounds or 35 %. That's a bit high, so you need to adjust the hitch to get that closer to 25%.

Hitch weight distributed to the trailer axles = 160, or 15%. That's a bit low, so you need to adjust the hitch to bring that closer to 25%.

My guess is the adjustment needed is probably the angle of the ball to the coupler. Move the ball mount forward or backward a notch or two to change that angle. No, I don't know which direction you need to move it.

Quote:
According to my calculations the TT by itself is 8980 which is way less than I was expecting.
Hmmmm. I get 8,940. How did you calculate 8,980?

Did you have approximately the amount of water in the fresh-water tank you will haul so you can flush the pottie when on the road? We haul at least 5 gallons of fresh water, and often 15 or 20 gallons or more. That can add weight in a hurry. And of course if you have to hit the road with a lot of grey and black water in the holding tanks, that will really increase the gross weight of the trailer.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:02 PM   #4

Oops, either a typo or fat fingured the calculator. Thanks for catching it. I could drop a link to maybe 8 instead of 7 under tension. I would say that the only weight that wasn't present was bicycles in the back of the truck but we don't always take those. They certainly wouldn't add that much.