Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2016, 09:58 PM   #1

Nissan Armada SE 4WD

Anyone pull with this truck and how heavy did you pull?

Also, how was your experience?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2016, 10:56 PM   #2

I didn't have the Armada but I did have the Titan. Same engine and chassis. You will quickly overload tongue weight on that. I did on my titan and that wasn't fun. My trailer empty was about 4700lbs. Once all the gear goes in the weight adds up fast and once calculated out I was about 940lbs on the tongue on my last trip. Didn't hit the payload cap but you'll have less carrying capacity on the Armada. But all that tongue weight once caused the front in to pop up when we hit a dip in the road and after that I sold it. I also had a couple of instances where it started overheating on inclines and I had to manage that with shifting to keep the temps down.

Old 06-30-2016, 05:42 PM   #3

I [still] own a 2008 Infiniti QX56 (basically the luxury version of the Armada). I bought it used with 90K miles on it. It's a towing monster as long as you use a weight distributing hitch (I used the Equalizer) to balance the weight between front and back tires (I actually used a CAT scale at a local truck stop to make final hitch adjustments). I took the 900 lbs of tongue weight and had about 450 lbs each in the front and rear once adjusted (and as long as you don't change the load on the trailer too much the adjustments are pretty much set-and-forget).

My trailer was about 8300 lbs loaded (!!!), and the vehicle towed without serious power issues up/down hills. Again, it's critical to have a weight distributing hitch properly adjusted. It's also VERY important to have a good electronic brake controller to control the trailer brakes (I used, and still have installed in case I haul a large trailer again, a Prodigy P3). With the Prodigy I had no braking issues...it allows adjustments between different modes for in-town and on-highway.

The only issue (and was not really a large issue for us since we typically towed very local) was the short wheel base...I could see where longer distances could cause one to have white knuckles after a few hours. With a short base small movements in steering (or buy passing trucks) result in larger directional changes of the tow vehicle.

We very recently sold the trailer and got a motorhome, mostly because of the type of travelling we we want to do, and we now tow a Ford C-MAX 4-wheels-down behind the MH. But I still believe the QX56/Armada is a good towing vehicle with the proper hitch/brake controller, although I'd probably not attempt 8300 lbs again (but *we* never felt unsafe).
Old 06-30-2016, 07:49 PM   #4

I had a prodigy p3 brake controller and an equal-i-zer WD hitch and still did not like towing with it. Even put roadmaster springs on the rear and they didn't help.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
I had a prodigy p3 brake controller and an equal-i-zer WD hitch and still did not like towing with it. Even put roadmaster springs on the rear and they didn't help.
I forgot to mention that I added Firestone air bags in the rear...they really helped. Pumped them up to 35psi when towing, down to 20psi when now towing. Helps a lot with roll control both when towing and non-towing.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:55 PM   #6

I also had a helwig rear anti sway bar I added. And upgraded bilstein shocks. And the roadmaster active suspension I added also reduces roll and axle wrap and improves handling while loaded. Still was not fun to tow with. I overheated pulling into a campground going slow on some switch backs. And going over Mt. Hood. I was able to control the temps by managing my shifts. And that engine really had to work for it. Going over our coast range wasn't a big deal. More of hills really. But just about anywhere I want to go camping around here involves mountains. And at times I definitely felt unsafe in it.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
I also had a helwig rear anti sway bar I added. And upgraded bilstein shocks. And the roadmaster active suspension I added also reduces roll and axle wrap and improves handling while loaded. Still was not fun to tow with. I overheated pulling into a campground going slow on some switch backs. And going over Mt. Hood. I was able to control the temps by managing my shifts. And that engine really had to work for it. Going over our coast range wasn't a big deal. More of hills really. But just about anywhere I want to go camping around here involves mountains. And at times I definitely felt unsafe in it.
That's probably the difference...we have hills, not mountains, in my part of Texas, and we never camped very far from home. So my longest trip was only a few hours at most, but I did have to stay on top of things and could never really relax while driving (two hands with tight grip at all times).
Old 07-01-2016, 08:41 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGuy1966 View Post
Anyone pull with this truck and how heavy did you pull?
"Pull" is not the problem. You can pull a lot heavier trailer than you can "haul" the hitch weight of that trailer without being overloaded. Hitch weight is the problem. Any of the larger SUVs can either haul a wagon load of people and gear, or drag a 5,000-pound TT with no problem. But not both at the same time without exceeding the GVWR of the SUV. And there aren't many 5,000-pound TTs available, so folks buy one that grosses 6,500 or 7,000 pounds when wet and loaded for the road, with loaded hitch weight of about 850 to 900 pounds, and wind up overloaded when the family gets in the SUV with their stuff..

Even with a good weight-distribution hitch and air bags added to the rear suspension, overloaded is overloaded.

Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada