Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2017, 08:16 PM   #1

Nissan Titan with Cummins Diesel

Is anybody hauling with this truck?
TNTryther is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2017, 11:32 PM   #2

There are relatively few diesel Titans on the road yet. The engine is about as strong as Ford's old 7.3 diesel, and it should be a fine engine.

Early on, the diesel is only being put in the nicer trucks--not in cheap, utilitarian 1/2 tons. And in a fully dressed out truck, they're not going to be inexpensive.

It's a shame that Nissan put all their engineering efforts and money into the automobiles coming out of Smyrna in past years. Their Canton, Mississippi factory has had "people problems" since day one, and it's simply not the quality operation Nissan's Tennessee factories are.

To put into perspective, Ford sells more 1/2 ton trucks in a week than Nissan sells in a year--as of last year.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:31 AM   #3

Some amazing deals to be had on '16 leftovers. SV's and Platinum's for under $50k.

That being said, I test drove one. It left a lot to be desired, not only in terms of power, but comfort and features. The seats were kind of hard, the interior felt cheap, the infotainment system felt like something out of a late 2000's vehicle with a small screen. Power wise it felt lacking, and that's coming from me who owned two 7.3's. Especially when you can equip a F150 Ecoboost to have almost the same towing capacity. And fuel efficiency just isn't worth buying the Titan XD.

If it were my money I'd get a F150 Ecoboost or save a few more dollars and get a Ram 2500 CDT. You can get a 2500 Laramie from Dennis Dillon for a few grand more.
Riccochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:46 AM   #4

Interesting review i read on them though. They engine is Cummins' school bus engine, they been making it for decades. Tranny is the same as on Ram 3500 (not a typo), and rear end came out of their 1 ton van. So drive train is proven. As an owner of two Rams i can tell you that they will run forever basically, but after 4 or 5 years (right after they go off warranty, amazingly), the rest of them falls apart. But i guess at the end of the day rolling from point A to point B without white knuckles is really all thats important...
Old 06-05-2017, 06:47 AM   #5

Buying my 1st RV so any input is greatly appreciated
Old 06-05-2017, 10:23 AM   #6

The ISV5.0 has only been around a few years. While it is used in buses, the one used in the Titan has some significant changes. Mostly head design and turbo used to get the power and torque up.

It's not really a proven design, so to speak. But, it being a Cummin's it'll probably not have much growing pains.

Looks like the Titan's use the Aisin A466ND, which is a modified AS69RC lacking the PTO. Pretty stout transmission.

The Titan XD is pretty solidly built, mechanically speaking. Everything is either under-rated, like the rear axle, or over-built for the task, like the transmission. It's a 6600lb rear axle that Nissan rated for 4900lbs. That's crazy stout.

It is a big truck, it's not fast by any means, doesn't get that good of fuel mileage, it's heavy, over built, not that comfortable (subjective), needs some refinement inside and a better infotainment system. It's not really rated to tow or haul more than a new generation F150, while it costs just as much if not more, but it as big as a 3/4 ton truck.

I really don't know what Nissan was thinking, or where this truck fits in the market. If they can get the power up on that motor and increase towing capacity to be a few thousand pounds less than a 3/4 ton I think it'll do quite well. In it's current configuration I just don't see why anyone would buy one other than it being a mechanical beast.
Riccochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:37 AM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Forest River Owners Club
Interesting Thread

Following....
Robspana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 12:25 AM   #8

I like the truck, but..... Disagree the seats are uncomfortable: imho, the zero gravity seats are the best in the industry. The tranny is not of a 3500 class: it is an entirely different tranny to that of the Ram 3500 [and a pity Ram will not give us an Aisin tranny for the 2500 and 1500]. I view the Cummins XD as 1/2T truck that can be pushed at times beyond this weight class, but not constantly. The engine and tranny can withstand the push, but the frame and axles cannot. The rear axle is slightly stouter than a F150's, and a quick look should convince anyone it is not up to the 2500 class. The deal breaker for me is the lack of an exhaust brake on a pretty hefty diesel engine. The Cummins XD is over-priced at the 2500 class level, but does not give a 2500 class capability, and the XD fuel economy when towing 10k# is actually LESS than the Ram 2500 CTD. So, why pay a 2500 price only to get less of everything [excepting seats]? Plus, the dealer network is very sparse, so repairs when full-timing could be very difficult to accomplish [assuming a qualified Nissan, diesel mechanic can actually be found]. Nissan reliability? Not yet: many reports of repairs already. So overall this truck makes no sense to me, as it is offered currently.
bobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 11:14 AM   #9

Plain and simple the Titan XD is a bust. It does nothing as good or better than it's competition. Thats why they can't sell them. Nissan should be working overtime if they'd done it right from the get go. Buyers were clamoring for a smaller diesel truck that got good MPG.
The Cummins XD should get 20 mpg empty, have a payload in the mid 2,000lb range. 2400-2700 would be perfect. It should have an exhaust brake as well.
But it doesn't, so why buy it? An F150 properly equipped will smoke the XD all day long.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:48 AM   #10

Problem with ford is an aluminum body. I plan to work out of it too. And their 6.7 deisel is probably fords worst engine since the Mustang II lol. I dont care how much of enthusiast you are, there's no denying the egr probs. Nissan is out, it just wont tow enough. Looking at chevy 1 tons now. Input?
Old 06-07-2017, 09:05 AM   #11

You'll pay up the !!!! for a chev 1 ton. Chevy sells fewer 1 tons than Ram and Ford. My guess is that they're too expensive. Chev won't discount them like Ram or Ford. When I went shopping for our 2012 Ram CTD in 2012, I was 1st looking for used trucks. I couldn't find any used 2500-3500 DA's anywhere near me. I thought it was because owners were hanging on to them longer. Wrong. It's because GM doesn't sell as many 2500-3500 DA's.
I see more on the road now since GM did a redesign.
I think the DA combo is the best out there, even if you can't get as good of deal on them.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTryther View Post
Problem with ford is an aluminum body. I plan to work out of it too. And their 6.7 deisel is probably fords worst engine since the Mustang II lol. I dont care how much of enthusiast you are, there's no denying the egr probs. Nissan is out, it just wont tow enough. Looking at chevy 1 tons now. Input?
You must have never heard of the 6.4.... Dropping international and building their diesels in house was one of the best decisions ford ever made.

EGR problems are related to idle times on fleet vehicles like ambulances. That's not a ford specific problem.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:13 AM   #13

I own a Titan XD diesel and have towed my 8k TT around 800 miles this spring. So far so good I have no complaints, it tows very well, is comfortable to drive, gets 22mpg highway and 18.5 combo empty. Towing mpg through the hills is around 11.2. In comparison to my previous truck which was a 06 Silverado 8.1l Allison with 4.10s , the Titan is a nice upgrade. The 8.1l got 13mpg empty and 7.5 towing the same trailer. The Titan is all around a better tow vehicle than the old Chevy.

This truck sits near the bottom of the 2b class but is no substitute for the F250s, and 2500s of the big three. If you stay under the max class 4 hitch rating its good for maybe 10k conventional towing and 1800lb pin weight for a 5th wheel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3391.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	420.0 KB
ID:	164325  
Demiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:32 PM   #14

They are rated as half tons.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, cummins