Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2018, 09:01 PM   #29

Anyone trying to compare an Nissan to a 3/4 ton truck is just trying to justify their decision. The trucks aren’t even close.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2018, 11:59 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 View Post
I just find this hard to believe in every possible way. I have that truck and I've towed a 9000lb Carson toyhauler over 85mph on the flats, over EVERY major pass in the Sierras south of Susanville, most in the Wasatch and several of the high passes in Colorado and never needed to drop below 50 if the curves allowed it. Launched a 13,000 lb boat. That truck out performs all but the latest versions of the current big 3's diesels in 3/4 HD and 1 ton variants.

There is nothing in the Nissan's specs that indicate it would exceed the GMs capabilities in any way, it has more than a thousand pounds less payload capacity and 3300 lbs less tow capacity, and I'm damn sure it doesn't have anywhere near as much frame underneath it. Even on the current 1-tons they made the frame much smaller to save weight.

The Nissan is what they used to call a "heavy half" back in the 70s.

What always strikes me on IRV2 is how so many people on this site come here claiming to look for advice but really just want affirmation. Everybody that tows a lot knows to buy more truck than you think you'll need, but there are just a lot of folks that for one reason or another try to get as small a vehicle as possible. Caveat Emptor.
Well some of us want a daily driver with good fuel economy. Buying a half ton that is rated to tow xyz safely by engineers that know a hole lot more than any of us works for me.

While it's true a bigger truck does make towing easier, it's not always necessary. I've pulled belly dumps loaded to 105,000 with a three axle tractor with another drop axle. I've also pulled triples in Idaho and Oregon loaded to 105000lbs with a puny single screw, only one axle so less brakes, very light and no engine brake. You know both setups could pull 105000, but the tiny little single screw without engine brake had to be driven in a different manner, especially descending hills. So yeah I agree a bigger trucks feel better, but if your worth your salt as a driver and you stay within ratings you don't always need the biggest baddest truck on the road.

As for the Nissan I devoured every piece of info I could get on that truck prior to release. I was at the dealer every couple days anxious to see the truck when it arrived. I like the Cummins (don't give a darn what the folks on TFL think) the XD is actually built to handle a lot more than it's rating. The rub is the rating is the rating, I have no doubt that truck will handle way above it's numbers but that doesnt matter. Heck my little itsy bitsy Chevy half ton Z71 has as much payload as the XD and it's All-Star Edition is very well appointed for about $10-$15000 less than the XD. Can my Chevy tow what that XD can, heck no but it's rated to. Until Nissan figures out their blunder I'll stay with the big 3.

I admit I love the Titans styling and want one, but the payload capability at that price kills the deal. If Nissan could change one thing and up the payload to slightly north of 2200lbs it would fill the bill for many of us. For now I pull within my half ton limits that real engineers gave it, thats in the 6000 to 7500 range and under specs all the way around.

When the wifey retires I'll get a big Silverado with the four electric motors powered by a diesel generator that GM is working on, talk about torque. 🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗
cdoorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:58 AM   #31

I’d still opt for the F250 diesel or equivalent in whatever brand you prefer. I bought a ‘15 that was a year and a half old with right around 30k miles on it, meticulously maintained through the dealership I bought it from. Crew cab, FX4 and was out the door for $40k. Truck MSRP’d at $58k. Guy never towed with it and had no hitches installed. Traded it for a 17 cause he apparently had money to lose and liked the new body style...

X2 on the exhaust brake as well.
C2tuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:32 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 View Post
I just find this hard to believe in every possible way. I have that truck and I've towed a 9000lb Carson toyhauler over 85mph on the flats, over EVERY major pass in the Sierras south of Susanville, most in the Wasatch and several of the high passes in Colorado and never needed to drop below 50 if the curves allowed it. Launched a 13,000 lb boat. That truck out performs all but the latest versions of the current big 3's diesels in 3/4 HD and 1 ton variants.

There is nothing in the Nissan's specs that indicate it would exceed the GMs capabilities in any way, it has more than a thousand pounds less payload capacity and 3300 lbs less tow capacity, and I'm damn sure it doesn't have anywhere near as much frame underneath it. Even on the current 1-tons they made the frame much smaller to save weight.

The Nissan is what they used to call a "heavy half" back in the 70s.

What always strikes me on IRV2 is how so many people on this site come here claiming to look for advice but really just want affirmation. Everybody that tows a lot knows to buy more truck than you think you'll need, but there are just a lot of folks that for one reason or another try to get as small a vehicle as possible. Caveat Emptor.
In my opinion Nissan has made an excellent TV and I would choose the Nissan over the Chevy every time.
I bought the Chevy new and towed over 20k miles with it, many of them with the same trailer over the same routes. The XD handles the load just as well, rides smoother, handles better while towing, has more power, the Aisin programming is so much better than the Allison. Not that the Chevy was bad but the overall towing experience is better with the Nissan. I find myself getting too relaxed behind the wheel sometimes, taking one hand off the wheel without thinking about it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EBE23F22-451C-4BFE-939D-5D8B1C15FFA0.jpeg
Views:	122
Size:	292.7 KB
ID:	191557  
Old 02-08-2018, 05:21 AM   #33

At the end of the day if the OP likes his truck that's all that matters. But the sales number speak for themselves. Nissan and Toyota put together probably sell 1 truck for every 100 Fords or Chevys. That doesn't mean they are not capable trucks, it does mean they are not popular with the real truck crowd.
With that said a lot of us don't WANT a heavy half ton or a Nissan. For me a 3/4 ton is already limited enough.

As far as the whole daily driving bit a 3/4ton or 1ton srw is really no bigger than a half ton mostly just taller. I've seen it with friends and family over and over a lot of guys are just afraid of real trucks. Might sound harsh but it is what it is.
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:44 AM   #34

My experience is that Nissan does not honor their warranty. Ford on the other hand, has stood behind their product and been great to me. I’d stay away from Nissan and go for the Ford as suggested earlier in the thread.
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:09 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demiles View Post
In my opinion Nissan has made an excellent TV and I would choose the Nissan over the Chevy every time.
I bought the Chevy new and towed over 20k miles with it, many of them with the same trailer over the same routes. The XD handles the load just as well, rides smoother, handles better while towing, has more power, the Aisin programming is so much better than the Allison. Not that the Chevy was bad but the overall towing experience is better with the Nissan. I find myself getting too relaxed behind the wheel sometimes, taking one hand off the wheel without thinking about it.
That's to be expected. It's a much newer truck. Any new truck you would have purchased would tow better than what you had.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:10 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite77 View Post
My experience is that Nissan does not honor their warranty. Ford on the other hand, has stood behind their product and been great to me. I’d stay away from Nissan and go for the Ford as suggested earlier in the thread.
I would disagree with that. While I had my Titan it wasn't in the shop much but when it was everything was fixed under warranty with no hassle whatsoever. And that's at two different dealerships in the area.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:21 AM   #37

Ugh...that brought back memories of Mrs Freqz's Sentra that she was very proud of back in the day (her first new car)...it leaked like a sieve and the dealership flat refused to admit that was even a problem. I asked them to sit in the car with me while they looked for the leak and they ran it around back and guy proceeded to dribble hose pressure water on the roof from like 4' away...

"It leaks when we drive in the rain or go through a car wash", I protested

"Well, they do that"

"What?!"

"Yeah. It's just how it is."

"Excuse me? Does your car leak in car washes?"

"Well, no..."

"Would you be upset if it did?"

"Well, yeah..."

"So you're going to fix it then?"

"Nope."

I had to go to the showroom floor and throw a fit with the sales manager on that deal. Loud crabby guy with not as of yet paying customers around...

Later, it developed a (not uncommon to the model) issue where it wouldn't start below 40 degrees. Of course they couldn't replicate that here in Dallas because they never looked at it until the afternoon.

Needless to say, we didn't buy another one.

That may be an isolated experience, dunno. I certainly wouldn't recommend that particular dealership anyway...even close to 20 years later.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:26 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite77 View Post
I believe that had to do with the dealer. The dealer makes a difference.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:46 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
I believe that had to do with the dealer. The dealer makes a difference.

I had 2 different dealers tell me that a problem with an engine mount should be covered under warranty . Corporate Nissan rejected it and dodged my calls for 3 months. They had both home and work numbers for me as well as times to call. While at work they would call my house. They would leave a message at work when they knew I wouldn’t be there. I’ll agree that a good dealer can make a difference. The problem here though was at the corporate level.
Again, my experience is that Nissan DOES NOT stand behind their product.
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 12:04 PM   #40

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I see several pictures of trucks with canopies on them that must weigh 3 or 400 pounds, are you counting those in with the cargo capacity? Seems like most people just completely ignore the things that are uncomfortable truths. If you start off with 1100 pounds of cargo capacity a canopy and WD hitch uses up almost half of that without the trailer or passengers. What else do you carry in your truck that you do not subtract from the cargo capacity?
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:18 PM   #41

My topper was labeled with a weigh of 187 lbs.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:36 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
I see several pictures of trucks with canopies on them that must weigh 3 or 400 pounds, are you counting those in with the cargo capacity? Seems like most people just completely ignore the things that are uncomfortable truths. If you start off with 1100 pounds of cargo capacity a canopy and WD hitch uses up almost half of that without the trailer or passengers. What else do you carry in your truck that you do not subtract from the cargo capacity?
To whom are you directing this to?