Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2018, 06:56 PM   #57

Geez! You guys are still at it?

jim1521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2018, 08:14 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbin View Post
wow, same price? would you please disclose your sources?

per my research, comparing apples:
- $58500 is the lowest price I have seen for a 2017 Ram 3500 Laramie with Cummins+Aisin+Leather (and likely I would not qualify for all the discounts, as I am not military, etc)
- $47900 is the latest offered price from a dealer for a 2017 Nissan XD SV with Cummins+Aisin+Leather

I suppose a Ram 3500 without leather would be cheaper, but so would the XD. Overall, my research indicated the price difference is averaging $10k, when comparing apples. [a Ram tranny is not comparing apples]

Again, if people need the 3500 capability, then no sense to consider the XD - simply, it is not built for that. But for those who tow up to 11k lbs regularly, imho the XD is a strong option.
I didn't say a laramie. A 3500 with the aisin. I just said you could get one for the same price as a Nissan. Depends how you want to configure.
We have several dealers here that were no haggling. Well below invoice. There's another in idaho, the name escapes me at the moment, but it's all super cheap. So much so that people regularly fly in to buy their trucks and they run a shuttle service to the airport to get you.
If you tow up to 11k pounds the nissan would be a horrible option. You'd be so far over on payload. The nissan couldn't tow my trailer and it's 6800lbs dry. All loaded up, gear and people in the truck and the nissan would be over on payload.
The problem with the nissan is it doesn't allow you to tow more than a half ton. A capable half ton, but nothing more.
When you really dive in to the numbers you'll find that trucks cannot tow anywhere near as much as people think and I would go so far as to say the vast majority of people towing are overloading their vehicles.
For the same amount of money get yourself something that is more capable.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:36 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1521 View Post
Geez! You guys are still at it?

[emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji13]
cdoorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:43 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
I didn't say a laramie. A 3500 with the aisin. I just said you could get one for the same price as a Nissan. Depends how you want to configure.
We have several dealers here that were no haggling. Well below invoice. There's another in idaho, the name escapes me at the moment, but it's all super cheap. So much so that people regularly fly in to buy their trucks and they run a shuttle service to the airport to get you.
If you tow up to 11k pounds the nissan would be a horrible option. You'd be so far over on payload. The nissan couldn't tow my trailer and it's 6800lbs dry. All loaded up, gear and people in the truck and the nissan would be over on payload.
The problem with the nissan is it doesn't allow you to tow more than a half ton. A capable half ton, but nothing more.
When you really dive in to the numbers you'll find that trucks cannot tow anywhere near as much as people think and I would go so far as to say the vast majority of people towing are overloading their vehicles.
For the same amount of money get yourself something that is more capable.
Dave Smith is the dealer name. I've known coworkers that have been flying over to Couer d' Alaine for 20 years to get those deals, can't be matched anywhere!

I agree with what you said about the Titan. I love the Titan, if I was 25 and just wanted a cool 4x4 to tow my water toys and dirt bikes, I'd be all over it. For towing RVs the Titan makes zero sense, coming from a guy who really likes them.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:59 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoorider View Post
Dave Smith is the dealer name. I've known coworkers that have been flying over to Couer d' Alaine for 20 years to get those deals, can't be matched anywhere!
Yep, that's the one! Have you heard of a similar dealership for Fords? I seem to recall one that is similar in Idaho as well.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:25 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
Yep, that's the one! Have you heard of a similar dealership for Fords? I seem to recall one that is similar in Idaho as well.
No sorry I haven't heard of a similar Ford Dealer. Dave Smith is Chev, Cadillac, GMC, Dodge and Nissan.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:29 PM   #63

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
In my neck of the woods, I'll regularly see Ram 2500 Diesels advertised $8-10k off RSRP certain times of the year. Seems to go in cycles.

As far as the Titan's, the closest I got was looking at the window sticker. My Nissan dealer is 2 blocks away, and the only DX was the $58k PR one. The salesman who was supposed to be their "truck guy" knew very little about their payload numbers, didn't have any brochures, and was not very familiar with the Nissan website. And they didn't have any other trim lines on order in the near future. I took it to mean this dealership doesn't sell many trucks.

Question here: Reading thru all the posts, maybe I missed it. What is the hitch weight limit on the DX? My Tundra (2014) is a UN-explanable 980lbs. Which I can't believe it so low. My 2005 4Runner was 1120 lbs. with a WD hitch and 720 lbs. without.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 03:30 PM   #64

1200lbs with WD
Old 02-12-2018, 04:07 PM   #65

Archer75 so what is the payload on your truck?
Old 02-12-2018, 04:52 PM   #66

Do any of you guys quoting purchase prices trade trucks in? The reason I ask is because those that have quoted purchase prices haven't mentioned the trade at all. You might be buying a truck at 10k off the sticker but you also aren't getting what you would normally get for your trade. I can't tell you how many times I have asked a sales manager to take off $X000 only to have him say "Sure!! but we can't give you as much for your trade...".

Now, a couple of you have mentioned the couple times a year RAMs get a big discount and you're right. But its not as big as you might think. Trades aren't getting as high a value during those times so the deal may be better than usual but it definitely isn't 10k better.

My 2 cents on the Titan XD...interesting truck, but I know my new RAM 3500 CCLB DRW CTD/AISIN will get the job done.

Regards,
Ken
khuffmanjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:00 PM   #67

No. Sold my last truck to another used car outfit for $5k over Ford's offer. That actually let me put my truck equity into my trailer which carries a much higher interest rate. Refinanced the truck for almost nothing after the rebate cleared too [emoji41]
Old 02-12-2018, 05:08 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuffmanjr View Post
Do any of you guys quoting purchase prices trade trucks in? The reason I ask is because those that have quoted purchase prices haven't mentioned the trade at all. You might be buying a truck at 10k off the sticker but you also aren't getting what you would normally get for your trade. I can't tell you how many times I have asked a sales manager to take off $X000 only to have him say "Sure!! but we can't give you as much for your trade...".

Now, a couple of you have mentioned the couple times a year RAMs get a big discount and you're right. But its not as big as you might think. Trades aren't getting as high a value during those times so the deal may be better than usual but it definitely isn't 10k better.

My 2 cents on the Titan XD...interesting truck, but I know my new RAM 3500 CCLB DRW CTD/AISIN will get the job done.

Regards,
Ken
Back in 2012 I traded my 2010 F150 in on a 12 Ram ST Cummins and got $10,000 off MSRP. I called the dealer (Ron Tonkin) about the advertised $10K off and would my trade affect it? They said no it won't. Ron Tonkin in Portland Oregon is pretty close to Dave Smith or Dennis Dillon for prices WHEN they are running their discounts. DS and DD seem to run the discounts all the time.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:22 PM   #69

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Do any of you guys quoting purchase prices trade trucks in? The reason I ask is because those that have quoted purchase prices haven't mentioned the trade at all.
Good point, Ken.

My details:

No trade in. Cash. Walked in with a cashier's check in the morning, drove out that afternoon with the truck.

VIN prefix: 3C6UR5DL0EG2
Make: Ram
Model: 2500
Variant: SLT Crew Cab SWB 4WD
Bodytype: Crew Cab Pickup
Doors: 4
Engine ccm: 6700
Engine type: L6 OHV 24V TURBO DIESEL
Fuel: Diesel
Made in: Mexico
Trim level: Big Horn

ETA: Portland, OR market
Old 02-12-2018, 06:24 PM   #70

Quote:

Regards,
Ken
I don't factor my current vehicle in the price i'm listing for the truck i'm buying. I generally sell it on my own.