Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2007, 06:51 AM   #1

I'm looking at either a Nissan Frontier V6 4.0 L , 6-speed manual, 3.53 rear axle (rated at 6500#), or GM's 1500 4.8 L V8,3.23 rear
axle, short bed (rated at 5200#). This is
Chevy's base truck, sold as a a loss leader for about $14K (a different truck or bigger engine, is not offered as a loss leader & will cost a lot more) and I'm only considering this truck because of the low price!
I plan to pull a 3000-3500# TT.
Ford & Dodge make a simular truck, but GM has the 100K warrenty, & that is a very good idea, in my view. Toyota makes a great truck, but
the price is out of this world!

The Nissan costs at least $2K more and has limited avaiablity. Mileage ratings are about the same (17 City & 21 Hwy). I'm use to
driving a stick, so I am leaning the Nissan way. I'm trying to balance my towing needs, with my everyday needs. I also feel the Nissan is better made, will last longer & is more refined. So any objective thoughts?
DogFather is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2007, 06:51 AM   #2

I'm looking at either a Nissan Frontier V6 4.0 L , 6-speed manual, 3.53 rear axle (rated at 6500#), or GM's 1500 4.8 L V8,3.23 rear
axle, short bed (rated at 5200#). This is
Chevy's base truck, sold as a a loss leader for about $14K (a different truck or bigger engine, is not offered as a loss leader & will cost a lot more) and I'm only considering this truck because of the low price!
I plan to pull a 3000-3500# TT.
Ford & Dodge make a simular truck, but GM has the 100K warrenty, & that is a very good idea, in my view. Toyota makes a great truck, but
the price is out of this world!

The Nissan costs at least $2K more and has limited avaiablity. Mileage ratings are about the same (17 City & 21 Hwy). I'm use to
driving a stick, so I am leaning the Nissan way. I'm trying to balance my towing needs, with my everyday needs. I also feel the Nissan is better made, will last longer & is more refined. So any objective thoughts?
DogFather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 07:45 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you are sure of your TT weight, any of the trucks will work. I towed a 4000 lb TT with an Astro powered with the 4.3L V6 auto and 3.73 rear end. It had the same GCWR of 10,000lbs as the Chevy you are considering. It handled the trailer with ease. Compare bed sizes and interiors. Towing with an auto is slightly easier, however lots of people tow with a stick - just don't slip the clutch too much. Make sure that the Nissan has a good low gear.

Just remember that tow ratings are usually over rated - and trailer wts are under stated.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:19 AM   #4
CD

DogFather
First, Welcome aboard. I don't understand why someone hasn't stepped up and given you some good advice before now. There are a lot of very knowlgable people here. Randy gave some good advice but we really need to know more about what you have. What are the GVWR & GCWR of TT & TVs you are talking about. IMO if the TT's 3500lbs. is the dry weight, I would say to forget any 1/2 ton TV. The towing ability will be very disappointing. I prefer to have a very adequate TV and and also a car for commute. I only use my PU to haul or tow something and my car is a very good $2K car.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:23 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The 3.23 axle will be a miserable performer when towing. The 3.53 is border line.

Is the weight of your trailer loaded or empty? If it s "dry weight" plan to add at least 500# plus to that weight for a real world weight.

How much and how often do you intend to tow? How many people and how much cargo in the truck?

I know this is not much help, but we would like to help. Due to the way manufacturers of trucks fudge the ratings, use no more than 80% of the rated tow capacity to allow for passengers and cargo in the truck. Look for a trailer that has a GVWR of less 80% of the tow rating. Ignore the dry trailer weight.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 07:40 AM   #6

Re-read what Ken said-and again. It is very good advice. The 3:23 differential cannot tow very much. It would be fine on a highway empty; loaded- not.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:34 PM   #7

I would go for the Chevy. To get the low price, you basically have to take the one model they offer, so I would start with that. You will probably find the 3.23 gears limiting and will want to upgrade to the 3.79 gears at some point if your going to tow often or in hilly terrain. I would also add a transmission intercooler.
cide1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:48 PM   #8

Did you forget Chryslers LIFETIME warranty?
Old 03-01-2008, 04:38 AM   #9

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I would get what you like and can get the best deal. I would get the 3.79 gears and postive traction on what ever you get.
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote